• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Brandon Boykin signs with Ravens

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
This guy was a pretty good corner for Philly, but that was three seasons ago. I hope he can get that magic back!

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kyle Arrington.....Jerraud Powers....

Brandon Boykin

I'm not getting my hopes up.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Kyle Arrington.....Jerraud Powers....

Brandon Boykin

I'm not getting my hopes up.
I personally wouldn't place Boykin in the same group. Powers struggled mightily in his last season with the Cardinals before signing here for a season, and Arrington had multiple seasons where he was in the top bracket of yards allowed, so neither was an exciting choice. In Boykin's case, he's at least fared well on the field in every season. The cautious end of the cautious optimism should be that he could either struggle with injuries or they may hamper his upside. But considering that he's performed significantly better than either of the two, there's slightly more initial excitement prior to the tempered expectations.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Boykin is also 26. Tavons PFF grade was 80.3. Boykin has bettered that in every year he's been in the league. He was the BEST slot corner in the league in 2013 and never been anything less than top 30 overall in corners since he came into the league. Powers and Arrington have never been that.

I just hope he's healthy. If he is, there won't be a drop off at all.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Boykin is also 26. Tavons PFF grade was 80.3. Boykin has bettered that in every year he's been in the league. He was the BEST slot corner in the league in 2013 and never been anything less than top 30 overall in corners since he came into the league. Powers and Arrington have never been that.

I just hope he's healthy. If he is, there won't be a drop off at all.
Just being a stickler here, but it looks like PFF has Boykin's grades at 75.4, 88.9, 80.7 and 80.2, so two out of the four years apply. It's hard to knock Young on the basis of grades given that he finished with the best rookie grade and won't have a chance to improve on it this year (Or regress potentially), but I'm board with the stand-alone assessment of Boykin otherwise.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
80.2 ..80.3

No difference :p

Boykin coming out of Georgia was a first round pick if the SCB position wasn't undervalued. He was my fav SCB prospect in years coming out and i wanted us to take him but we chose the legend of asa jackson.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
80.2 ..80.3

No difference :p

Boykin coming out of Georgia was a first round pick if the SCB position wasn't undervalued. He was my fav SCB prospect in years coming out and i wanted us to take him but we chose the legend of asa jackson.
lol Well, for what it's worth, Boykin was on absolutely on my radar as well. Ed_Reed20 put me on him, whom he loved as a prospect, and it shows why, so I was drawn to him as well. I was just remarking that it would be somewhat unjust to Young to compare Boykin's grades from his sophomore grades onward against Young's sole rookie season, which basically handicaps him due to seasons not played. I agree on everything else.

The Raven

Veteran
You dont need to cut anyone (though Pitta will likely save money with injury waiver). You just need to spread the signing bonus out over the course of the contract to make his cap hits more what the team wants. He can still make 10m this year but they can spread out the cap hit so that the cap hit is low enough that the Ravens can afford it. The only real big thing the Ravens needs next offseason is to sign Mosley which they can do and maybe consider Wallace which they can also do.
Yeah, all you have to do is spread it out over the length of the contract, which is exactly what we do with every long term contract and it'll work with this one, too, because as long as we spread it out long enough we can do it.

Except no! When you spread every contract out like that it still adds up. This doesn't actually mean we can afford Maclin at $7M/year. We probably can't, and if we do it, it means we'll lose out on Mosley or someone else down the line.

Back to Boykin, I'm hoping that his hip is actually good to go, and that there isn't an increased risk of future injuries. Where have I heard about recurring hip problems before?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, all you have to do is spread it out over the length of the contract, which is exactly what we do with every long term contract and it'll work with this one, too, because as long as we spread it out long enough we can do it.

Except no! When you spread every contract out like that it still adds up. This doesn't actually mean we can afford Maclin at $7M/year. We probably can't, and if we do it, it means we'll lose out on Mosley or someone else down the line.

Back to Boykin, I'm hoping that his hip is actually good to go, and that there isn't an increased risk of future injuries. Where have I heard about recurring hip problems before?

We have enough for Mosley and that is the only big commitment needed next offseason so no, the Ravens can actually do everything they want to do next offseason and still be fine by spreading out the cap hit. Yes the cap hit adds up but I would rather push it into next year in which the Ravens will have a roster and not need the cap space then give up on a good player for no good reason whatsoever.