• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

#FilmstudyMailbag

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Eisenberg mentioned during the podcast that we could lose Wink or GRo for head coach jobs in this or future offseasons. Do you feel we have someone on staff to replace Greg Roman or even Wink. On offense, do you feel we would promote James Urban or David Culley or go out of the building and bring in someone new. Thoughts?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Can you give some insight into the reason behind cutting Canady over Averett. Is it due to him having two more years on his rookie deal?

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Can you give some insight into the reason behind cutting Canady over Averett. Is it due to him having two more years on his rookie deal?

We'll include that in the next defense pod for sure. It's a combination of factors.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Pierce were to miss time (Harbaugh says he's day to day right now) has this defence shown any evidence it can stop the run without both Williams and Pierce available? Is Daylon Mack a potential answer given his body-type or does he have all the hallmarks of a red-shirt type player?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If Pierce were to miss time (Harbaugh says he's day to day right now) has this defence shown any evidence it can stop the run without both Williams and Pierce available? Is Daylon Mack a potential answer given his body-type or does he have all the hallmarks of a red-shirt type player?
Not sure about Mack but as far as run D goes, I'm more comfortable with Pierce missing than BW.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
according the filmstudyravens defensive notes, we ran 3-3-5 Nickel in an attempt to slow down the Bengals running game. We did this on 12 plays and the Bengals had 38 yards or 3.2 ypp, including 13 yards on 8 runs or 1.6 ypc.

Obviously this is just a package and we can't do it all the time. I'm hoping Daylon Mack is a potential answer or at the very least we can find out if he has potential.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would think the better question would be why cut Canady over Cyrus Jones, especially when it was done just days after Jones muffing a punt in a critical game. Cyrus was a healthy scratch this week, and seemingly has been replaced as the primary punt returner. He's made essentially no contribution on defense this year.

Jeremy Kargon

Practice Squad
Short podcast proposal:

Sometimes, Ken or Ken's guests refer to a "win probability model." How is such a thing constructed? What factors (variables) contribute to such a model? What factors are typically left out? Are there competing schools of thought about the best way to build such a model for gridiron football - as opposed to other game-theoretical behaviors?

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Short podcast proposal:

Sometimes, Ken or Ken's guests refer to a "win probability model." How is such a thing constructed? What factors (variables) contribute to such a model? What factors are typically left out? Are there competing schools of thought about the best way to build such a model for gridiron football - as opposed to other game-theoretical behaviors?

I love it, Jeremy. This is a very rich topic for a short and one I think is worthy of discussion. Done properly, it's probably 45 min to an hour, but that's fine honestly.

I'm happy to record that with you at your convenience.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Here is a question for the mailbag and I'm not sure if it would need to be a short or just a question answered on one of your podcasts or as a post on PF, but many of us are concerned that we may lose Greg Roman at the end of the year. Now I have mentioned that I don't feel LJ needs a particular system to succeed, but it certainly would be great to have GRo around for a few years. That being said, he's been too good to not get looks from other teams.

Who would be the coach that would most likely get the not to become offensive coordinator. We would promote from within the likes of David Culley or maybe even James Urban or would be go outside the organization. Obviously these will all be opinions, but we'd love to have your thoughts on this subject.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Here is a question for the mailbag and I'm not sure if it would need to be a short or just a question answered on one of your podcasts or as a post on PF, but many of us are concerned that we may lose Greg Roman at the end of the year. Now I have mentioned that I don't feel LJ needs a particular system to succeed, but it certainly would be great to have GRo around for a few years. That being said, he's been too good to not get looks from other teams.

Who would be the coach that would most likely get the not to become offensive coordinator. We would promote from within the likes of David Culley or maybe even James Urban or would be go outside the organization. Obviously these will all be opinions, but we'd love to have your thoughts on this subject.

This is a good question, but I don't know 1) The internal succession plan on either side of the football and even less 2) who might be a good candidate among positional coaches with other teams. So my issue with doing a short on it is that I'm not really qualified to answer.

Looking back, the Roman hire was effectively internal (after a short period as TE coach/run game coordinator) and Martindale had been with the team for several years prior to stepping into the DC role. Promoting from within is good culturally, but my feeling is that it naturally constrains the pool of hires. When Martindale was elevated, I didn't like an internal hire without a broad search of available candidates across the league. As it turned out, he's been shockingly good in terms of managing personnel, scheme, adjustments, and playing time.

So I'm just going to trust the Ravens processes to find new coordinators if it comes to that. They have rarely failed the fans on the defensive side and they should know exactly what they are looking for in an OC that will play to Jackson's strengths, which drive the offense.

emdubabyouMD

Practice Squad
Hello Filmstudy Podcast! I would describe myself as a passionate ravens fan, but only having a basic understanding of personnel, scheme, alignment, etc.

That said, I feel like I am watching the games at a slightly higher level, just from listening and reading you content.

To that end. Could you talk a little bit about the process that you put into Film Study? How you approach attending games, what you are watching for, the resources you use to score games, and the hours you put into that?

When watching on Sundays, I sometimes try to do the "NFL Matchup" show formulah to each play, where I'm looking at personel packages, alignment, and concepts, but its pretty challenging with all the subbing and deciphering between Tackles and Tight Ends, and exhausting and then I usually just giving up and watching the ball for the rest of the game (LOL).

Maybe there is "getting started" checklist or tips and tricks you would give someone to watch at a slightly higher level ?

Thanks Love the Show and appreciate all the work you put into it.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Hello Filmstudy Podcast! I would describe myself as a passionate ravens fan, but only having a basic understanding of personnel, scheme, alignment, etc.

That said, I feel like I am watching the games at a slightly higher level, just from listening and reading you content.

To that end. Could you talk a little bit about the process that you put into Film Study? How you approach attending games, what you are watching for, the resources you use to score games, and the hours you put into that?

When watching on Sundays, I sometimes try to do the "NFL Matchup" show formulah to each play, where I'm looking at personel packages, alignment, and concepts, but its pretty challenging with all the subbing and deciphering between Tackles and Tight Ends, and exhausting and then I usually just giving up and watching the ball for the rest of the game (LOL).

Maybe there is "getting started" checklist or tips and tricks you would give someone to watch at a slightly higher level ?

Thanks for listening/reading. I'd be happy to do a video on how we look at, say, broadcast video and combine that with eye observations made at the stadium to record defensive personnel by play. There are definitely tricks to it and it's not particularly complex.

There is a video I did called "What's that defense" where I go through the packages the Ravens play on defense that contains some specific methods to quickly identify personnel/package, but that seems to have disappeared from the website. I'll ask Josh where it went and get it reloaded. That's a good place to start for the defense.

We also did a podcast last year with Maureen on the process as a whole, both defense and OL scoring. I'll see if we can get that accessible as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

and Welcome to PurpleFlock!