• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Filmstudy Short: Looking Ahead

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
also brought up the Chargers playoff game and how they played us with 7 DBs. Feels we still got beat at the LOS and if it weren't for the turnovers we could have won that game.

We aren't the same team we were last year and our offense is so much more diverse.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

people spoke a lot about that 7 db defence shutting down the offence but if im honest it just came down to pure lack of execution and a defensive front that just dismantled our offensive line - if it truly was the blueprint to stopping lamar then teams would use it - while some defensive coordinators around the league are stubborn, most aren't and if it truly worked schematically that well then teams would use it...

look at the new england game - they came in with a game plan, got punched in the mouth and changed it up - they literally used so many different looks and alignments and strategies to try and stop this offence and none of it worked - this coming from the greatest defensive mind in this era of football who with the tools he had couldnt destruct this offence

the blueprint to beating this offence is to get pressure on lamar with a 4 man rush - you need a really good defensive front basically - the best one we've faced so far was probably pittsburgh but maybe cleveland - the two teams who lamar's thrown picks against - the biggest challenge left for this offence is the 49ers who have an unbelievable front that's only got better with the emergence of robert saleh as a legit HC candidate as their DC and with the addition of nick bosa to destroy the edge

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
people spoke a lot about that defence shutting down the offence but if im honest it just came down to pure lack of execution and a defensive front that just dismantled our offensive line - if it truly was the blueprint to stopping lamar then teams would use it - while some defensive coordinators around the league are stubborn, most aren't and if it truly worked schematically that well then teams would use it...

look at the new england game - they came in with a game plan, got punched in the mouth and changed it up - they literally used so many different looks and alignments and strategies to try and stop this offence and none of it worked - this coming from the greatest defensive mind in this era of football who with the tools he had couldnt destruct this offence

the blueprint to beating this offence is to get pressure on lamar with a 4 man rush - you need a really good defensive front basically - the best one we've faced so far was probably pittsburgh but maybe cleveland - the two teams who lamar's thrown picks against - the biggest challenge left for this offence is the 49ers who have an unbelievable front that's only got better with the emergence of robert saleh as a legit HC candidate as their DC and with the addition of nick bosa to destroy the edge
They were handling our line in that playoff game, except for Skura but the entire game came down to Marty's inept game plan, play calling and a lack of adjustment. I wish Harbaugh stopped that bullshit and let Lamar play earlier than he did.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

That article is so disingenuous it's not funny. Our offence is completely different this year with a new OC, an improved Oline and a QB that has taken a leap, not to mention most teams wouldn't have the personnel the Chargers had. Like BB just missed that episode?

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
people spoke a lot about that 7 db defence shutting down the offence but if im honest it just came down to pure lack of execution and a defensive front that just dismantled our offensive line - if it truly was the blueprint to stopping lamar then teams would use it - while some defensive coordinators around the league are stubborn, most aren't and if it truly worked schematically that well then teams would use it...

I agree with this. The Ravens were beaten 4 on 5 up front by the Chargers. Ingram and Bosa effectively won the game and Marty was not able to adjust. Lamar 2018 may not have had enough passing ability to adjust either. He's a whole different player this season and every opponent has an idea on how to stop him before it's held up to the hard cold light of his athleticism.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with this. The Ravens were beaten 4 on 5 up front by the Chargers. Ingram and Bosa effectively won the game and Marty was not able to adjust. Lamar 2018 may not have had enough passing ability to adjust either. He's a whole different player this season and every opponent has an idea on how to stop him before it's held up to the hard cold light of his athleticism.

I think people still seem unable to acknowledge the fact that BB and the pats threw a ridiculous number of different looks at this offence to see what might work and nothing did

I think at this point I’d be as bold to say there is currently no schematic answer to this ravens offence as it is currently built and operating - the way to beat this team is to create enormous disruption up front that breaks the rhythm of the unit - basically if this team executes it wins

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think people still seem unable to acknowledge the fact that BB and the pats threw a ridiculous number of different looks at this offence to see what might work and nothing did

I think at this point I’d be as bold to say there is currently no schematic answer to this ravens offence as it is currently built and operating - the way to beat this team is to create enormous disruption up front that breaks the rhythm of the unit - basically if this team executes it wins
Hard to break O line made up of more than 5 people most of the time and break it fast enough for Lamar, since he is pretty quick reading stuff and/or reacting to what he sees.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Something I would try, and that I suspect we might see from belichik. It carries significant risk but I would mix in an edge defender crashing and ignoring the RB ( with some sort of safety exchange on the edge) with the express intent of hitting Lamar as physically as possible. This is nothing new of course but the emphasis would be on 1)"guessing" a keep
20 guessing run based on film study/formation, etc.
3) putting Lamar on the ground at the expense of missing the give to the ball carrier.

This, if you see it coming can be mitigated of course with one arc block and a boot but I would wager part of belichik's game plan is to hit Lamar and not just with a shove even after he hands off.

He did crash gaps with linebackers in our last meeting in an effort to disrupt and penetrate but it was generally picked up.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Something I would try, and that I suspect we might see from belichik. It carries significant risk but I would mix in an edge defender crashing and ignoring the RB ( with some sort of safety exchange on the edge) with the express intent of hitting Lamar as physically as possible. This is nothing new of course but the emphasis would be on 1)"guessing" a keep
20 guessing run based on film study/formation, etc.
3) putting Lamar on the ground at the expense of missing the give to the ball carrier.

This, if you see it coming can be mitigated of course with one arc block and a boot but I would wager part of belichik's game plan is to hit Lamar and not just with a shove even after he hands off.

He did crash gaps with linebackers in our last meeting in an effort to disrupt and penetrate but it was generally picked up.

That's something the Ravens did to Kaepernick in SB XLVII. Don't worry about whether or not you have the ball carrier, just make a hit on him on any mesh play.

Joshua Hoffman

Practice Squad
I think what the chargers dline did was ignore the ball carrier and just create maximum disruption. Especially with their edge defenders. If you rewatch, you see them using their bodies to take up space, get in the way of the oline and just mess up the gaps.
My plan would be to do that with your front four, just try and stalemate/collapse the line, then keep a defender wide in 9 tech or so on each side who stays near the line for contain and they do not rush the passer straight off.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think what the chargers dline did was ignore the ball carrier and just create maximum disruption. Especially with their edge defenders. If you rewatch, you see them using their bodies to take up space, get in the way of the oline and just mess up the gaps.
My plan would be to do that with your front four, just try and stalemate/collapse the line, then keep a defender wide in 9 tech or so on each side who stays near the line for contain and they do not rush the passer straight off.

i remember an analyst within the last couple of weeks suggest that 2-gapping DL would be important in defending against the ravens running game but that not that many teams use 2-gapping linemen anymore with the way that base defence is disappearing as a base package in the NFL in general - ironically the ravens are one of the few defences who still 2-gap

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i remember an analyst within the last couple of weeks suggest that 2-gapping DL would be important in defending against the ravens running game but that not that many teams use 2-gapping linemen anymore with the way that base defence is disappearing as a base package in the NFL in general - ironically the ravens are one of the few defences who still 2-gap
and the Steelers are another one