• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Defensive Notes vs. Texans (Week 11)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
really interesting that peanut didnt appear in the game again after his sack until the backups tookover...

i thought he was a spy on that play when watching it live but did he just shirk his assignment or something?
certainly sounds like that's what he did

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
I don't think what happened with Peanut was punitive in nature. He may have been too slow to rush, because Fells was his assignment and Fells was blocking Ferguson. However, the reason Peanut wasn't on the field for a long time is more of a systemic problem for him.

The Ravens primary packages:

Dime and Quarter: Peanut doesn't have a spot. Quarter has no ILB and either Bynes (as a stronger run defender) or Fort (as the ebst pass defender of the group) plays in dime. In this game, it was all Fort in the Dime.

3-3-5 Nickel: Only 1 ILB and it would be Bynes to get the best and most physical run defender out there.

Standard Nickel: 2 of the 3 ILBs among Bynes, Fort, and Peanut can be paired in any combination. Interestingly, the Ravens had 7 such nickel snaps during his long absence from the field. Every one of those included Bynes and Fort.

So the Ravens are having difficulty finding a niche role for Peanut when he's being outplayed by both of their recently-acquired linebackers. The Ravens are going to great lengths no make sure it's not termed as a benching, but when you can't find playing time for a player, that's what it is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think what happened with Peanut was punitive in nature. He may have been too slow to rush, because Fells was his assignment and Fells was blocking Ferguson. However, the reason Peanut wasn't on the field for a long time is more of a systemic problem for him.

The Ravens primary packages:

Dime and Quarter: Peanut doesn't have a spot. Quarter has no ILB and either Bynes (as a stronger run defender) or Fort (as the ebst pass defender of the group) plays in dime. In this game, it was all Fort in the Dime.

3-3-5 Nickel: Only 1 ILB and it would be Bynes to get the best and most physical run defender out there.

Standard Nickel: 2 of the 3 ILBs among Bynes, Fort, and Peanut can be paired in any combination. Interestingly, the Ravens had 7 such nickel snaps during his long absence from the field. Every one of those included Bynes and Fort.

So the Ravens are having difficulty finding a niche role for Peanut when he's being outplayed by both of their recently-acquired linebackers. The Ravens are going to great lengths no make sure it's not termed as a benching, but when you can't find playing time for a player, that's what it is.

So it’s partly he’s been benched
And it’s partly situational in-game where we have a big lead and therefore play with fewer ILBs consistently?

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
So it’s partly he’s been benched
And it’s partly situational in-game where we have a big lead and therefore play with fewer ILBs consistently?

I would not make a distinction between these 2 things. Effectively, the Ravens don't have a significant role for him because they have better players for the bulk of circumstances. That's benching to me, with the only difference being there is no apparent punitive component (as might have happened with Tim Williams or Bowser).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would not make a distinction between these 2 things. Effectively, the Ravens don't have a significant role for him because they have better players for the bulk of circumstances. That's benching to me, with the only difference being there is no apparent punitive component (as might have happened with Tim Williams or Bowser).

oh ok - what's the ideal role for peanut then in this defence - if there is one?

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
oh ok - what's the ideal role for peanut then in this defence - if there is one?

He was effective as a situational pass rusher, particularly in terms of some complementary pick concepts in 2018. The problem with that is he coincidentally reduces the coverage flexibility the team has, which impairs the defense's ability to fool the opponent, because Peanut is far more effective playing downhill (rushing the passer).