• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...t-for-steelers-and-why-he-turned-down-ravens/

More proof the offense is driving away quality WRs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting read. From the article:

"The Chiefs weren't the only offer that Smith-Schuster had, as the wide receiver turned down a contract offer from the Baltimore Ravens. Smith-Schuster just didn't see himself succeeding in Baltimore.

"I'm curious to see how they're going to be this year having Sammy Watkins and how they're going to use him and throwing the ball and stuff like that," Smith-Schuster said. "Lamar [Jackson]'s a really, a heavy run offense with the backs that he has. I just, just point being facts. His No. 1 target was [Mark] Andrews, who's a tight end.

"But I think with me it's more so staying home, staying loyal. In my situation, we have a new offensive coordinator, Ben's coming back, my relationship with my receiver coach, Ike Hilliard, is amazing. You can't beat that.""

Which just goes back to what Harbaugh said really (paraphrasing): you come here to win, and if your concern is your own numbers, we don't want you.

The type of player we want would look at this offense and think that they could lift the passing game. Maybe you guys were right that Juju is soft.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Makes sense that WRs wouldn't want to come here. It should make us a magnet for the best FA OL and RB prospects though as they become a need (and perhaps at a discount!) *cough* Zeitler *cough* All part of being an awesome rushing offense.

Seems like a net positive to me!
Think that's a bit overstated though. First, I don't think offensive lineman really care about the "type" of offense you run. Some offensive lineman are better at pass blocking than run blocking, meaning if they had a preference, it'd probably be to play in a more pass-heavy offense, which this clearly ain't it.
I also couldn't really care less what FA RBs want, because they're usually a dime a dozen and I'm usually steering clear of the FA RB market anyway. They're cheap, and they're typically not any more productive than a mid round draft pick is, who is typically even cheaper.

We got Zeitler at a good price because it's generally a down year across the board for most FAs due to cap reduction, and the market was pretty instantly flooded with comparable interior OLineman all at the same type. Higher supply + lower demand = cheaper prices.

Simba

Staff Member
Think that's a bit overstated though. First, I don't think offensive lineman really care about the "type" of offense you run. Some offensive lineman are better at pass blocking than run blocking, meaning if they had a preference, it'd probably be to play in a more pass-heavy offense, which this clearly ain't it.
I also couldn't really care less what FA RBs want, because they're usually a dime a dozen and I'm usually steering clear of the FA RB market anyway. They're cheap, and they're typically not any more productive than a mid round draft pick is, who is typically even cheaper.

We got Zeitler at a good price because it's generally a down year across the board for most FAs due to cap reduction, and the market was pretty instantly flooded with comparable interior OLineman all at the same type. Higher supply + lower demand = cheaper prices.

I don’t necessarily agree with this. Some OL are better pass blockers and that’s fine, but a significant majority of OL would still rather put their head down and run block. And in this offense, you have one of the most elusive QBs in NFL history. A lot of OL would likely salivate at the opportunity to play in this offense. It makes their lives easier.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting read. From the article:

"The Chiefs weren't the only offer that Smith-Schuster had, as the wide receiver turned down a contract offer from the Baltimore Ravens. Smith-Schuster just didn't see himself succeeding in Baltimore.

"I'm curious to see how they're going to be this year having Sammy Watkins and how they're going to use him and throwing the ball and stuff like that," Smith-Schuster said. "Lamar [Jackson]'s a really, a heavy run offense with the backs that he has. I just, just point being facts. His No. 1 target was [Mark] Andrews, who's a tight end.

"But I think with me it's more so staying home, staying loyal. In my situation, we have a new offensive coordinator, Ben's coming back, my relationship with my receiver coach, Ike Hilliard, is amazing. You can't beat that.""

Which just goes back to what Harbaugh said really (paraphrasing): you come here to win, and if your concern is your own numbers, we don't want you.

The type of player we want would look at this offense and think that they could lift the passing game. Maybe you guys were right that Juju is soft.
I mean I don't blame him.
1st: we're run-heavy according to modern metrics
2nd: Multiple experts and former players criticized Roman's scheme after our playoff exit.
3rd I don't fully agree with Harbaugh's statement. Teams do pay players based on their stats - at least to some extent. It's not all about winning i.e. your record - but about winning your next rep and stacking yards and TDs.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Easy for guys like Juju and Ty to talk up their loyalty buy lets be honest these guys are sticking with their team because a 1 year prove it deal is a much safer bet when you don't need to learn a new system.
But why would you want a one year prove it deal with a team that is the worst at passing the ball? dont matter how safe it seems, no way would juju want to hurt his stock by
Coming here.. you see how much galloday got paid? That wouldve never happened if he was here these past 2 yrs

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
im sorry but im not putting any faith into duvernay and boykin.. potential? i havent seen anywhere near enough evidence that would convince theyre gonna step up.. i dnt see anyone of the two getting 500 yards this season.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Justin Houston is set to visit the Ravens next week. We now know who that one girl on Twitter was talking about. He isn't the only pass rusher though....

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Justin Houston is set to visit the Ravens next week. We now know who that one girl on Twitter was talking about. He isn't the only pass rusher though....

Nice. I like it

Reactions: cdp