• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I don't blame any of the WR's for staying where they are familiar on a one year deal. Yet I think this idea that the only thing that gets you paid in the NFL as a WR is the number of catches and total yardage should be reexamined.

Personally, I'm more interested in a guy with a high catch rate AND overall yardage. The value of a guy who catches at 65%+ and gets YAC is as valuable or more valuable than any of the big catch number guys.

I'll give the team credit again for the "don't come here if your only concern is your personal numbers" stance. If you get 6 passes and you catch all of them or 5-6, you will always have a good job in the NFL. Those are the guys we should be coveting. That's why I still like Ertz as much as any WR.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t necessarily agree with this. Some OL are better pass blockers and that’s fine, but a significant majority of OL would still rather put their head down and run block. And in this offense, you have one of the most elusive QBs in NFL history. A lot of OL would likely salivate at the opportunity to play in this offense. It makes their lives easier.

i think it's a pretty common-held belief and desire amongst all OL to be able to be pro-active rather than reactive - the running game allows them to be aggressive and proactive whereas the passing game is so much about technique and footwork and concentration while working backwards

on a fundamental basis, it's much more comfortable for people to move forwards vs backwards - so it doesnt really matter if a OL is great in pass pro and not so good in run blocking - run blocking is still probably a more attractive proposition

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But why would you want a one year prove it deal with a team that is the worst at passing the ball? dont matter how safe it seems, no way would juju want to hurt his stock by
Coming here.. you see how much galloday got paid? That wouldve never happened if he was here these past 2 yrs

i think that's the crucial point - i doubt a player would turn down a true multi-year long-term good deal to play here but on a 1 year basis where you're looking to improve your value for the 2022 market it's hard to rationalise choosing the ravens

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
But why would you want a one year prove it deal with a team that is the worst at passing the ball? dont matter how safe it seems, no way would juju want to hurt his stock by
Coming here.. you see how much galloday got paid? That wouldve never happened if he was here these past 2 yrs
It is also about our identity/culture. When you think about what we stand for it's defense, defense and defense. That's why it's been easy to land defensive FAs because in the past defense had never been never an afterthought. It's hard to change that perception.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
It baffles me that somefans believe our current lack of balance is something not a only to be proud of, but a path we should continue down.

2019 was record setting and a lot of fun. However, it's time to move on and understand we need a healthy balance to reach the mountain top. That wont happen until we attract the right players or crush the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we can get Houston and Clowney to sign for fair deals in Baltimore, then we attack offense the first 3 rounds in the draft. O-line, TE and WR!

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
It baffles me that somefans believe our current lack of balance is something not a only to be proud of, but a path we should continue down.

2019 was record setting and a lot of fun. However, it's time to move on and understand we need a healthy balance to reach the mountain top. That wont happen until we attract the right players or crush the draft.

I think the VAST majority of folks on this board wants to see our passing game improve. I mean it's not like our running game is great. Our running game is fucking damn near IMMORTAL. For the most part, we're smacking the shit out of run defenses even with a suspect o-line. Unless we're actively trying to run the ball less and pass the ball more, I expect more of the similar.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad

I agree that we want an improved passing attack, but I don't see us as being that far off from the desired balance (not a 50-50 split for our offense).

We have a great overall record from the last couple of years, this thing just needs fine tuning, not a complete overhaul. I'm optimistic that a full off-season with our shiny new coaches will nudge our young WRs to enough incremental growth without needing any additional resources.

Tyler

Practice Squad
Just for hypothetical shits and gigs:
Would you all rather:
A. The Ravens sign Houston, Clowney, Draft Bateman or Marshall, and then attack OL in round 2?
Or...
B. Sign one of Houston/Clowney, BUT finally give into the hype train and also sign AB.... draft OL or Edge in round 1, and shoot for Dyami Brown on day 2 to form the Brown 3 to go along with the Jackson 5?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree that we want an improved passing attack, but I don't see us as being that far off from the desired balance (not a 50-50 split for our offense).

We have a great overall record from the last couple of years, this thing just needs fine tuning, not a complete overhaul. I'm optimistic that a full off-season with our shiny new coaches will nudge our young WRs to enough incremental growth without needing any additional resources.

The passing game needs to be able to win when the defence knows that’s what we’re doing - we need to be able to beat man and have guys we can trust in 1v1 situations to get open

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

We were 1st in rushing and 32nd passing lol, literally impossible to be any more imbalanced in the NFL.

We've already determined our guys are awful at beating man coverage. So while I think Romans offense will ultimately hold back Lamar’s growth, the real problem is the players. Hence the need to sign quality players in free agency. However, no quality players that will make a difference want to come here because of our scheme. However again, the scheme has helped us get to the playoffs for 3 straight years only to fall flat.

Hence our terrible conundrum

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We were 1st in rushing and 32nd passing lol, literally impossible to be any more imbalanced in the NFL.

We've already determined our guys are awful at beating man coverage. So while I think Romans offense will ultimately hold back Lamar’s growth, the real problem is the players. Hence the need to sign quality players in free agency. However, no quality players that will make a difference want to come here because of our scheme. However again, the scheme has helped us get to the playoffs for 3 straight years only to fall flat.

Hence our terrible conundrum

that 32nd in passing is a frustrating stat to keep being quoted because it’s a volume stat - we were last in passing because we were last in attempts...

in terms of efficiency we were somewhere in the middle of the pack (something like 16th in DVOA iirc)

we don’t need to be 1st in passing but we want to be at the top of the nfl in efficiency like we were in 2019

partly that requires a better pass protecting OL and partly that requires better weapons and partly that requires better scheme/play-calling

but the problem the low volume does create is a lack of attractiveness for WR free agents on short term deals which makes the draft important - which is probably partly why we’ve spent more capital on WRs the last 2 drafts than we had the previous 10+

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
that 32nd in passing is a frustrating stat to keep being quoted because it’s a volume stat - we were last in passing because we were last in attempts...

in terms of efficiency we were somewhere in the middle of the pack (something like 16th in DVOA iirc)

we don’t need to be 1st in passing but we want to be at the top of the nfl in efficiency like we were in 2019

partly that requires a better pass protecting OL and partly that requires better weapons and partly that requires better scheme/play-calling

but the problem the low volume does create is a lack of attractiveness for WR free agents on short term deals which makes the draft important - which is probably partly why we’ve spent more capital on WRs the last 2 drafts than we had the previous 10+

Don’t disagree at all. I think most of us are on the same page. It’s simply getting that key free agent or crushing the draft. I don’t think Sammy Watkins does much for us so it’s on to the draft for me.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can I ask why people always go crazy over Clowney? Every year, whoever signs him gets excited. Every year, he ends up missing time or again showing he’s not as explosive as his name gives him credit for.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can I ask why people always go crazy over Clowney? Every year, whoever signs him gets excited. Every year, he ends up missing time or again showing he’s not as explosive as his name gives him credit for.
Who here is? He’s just a big name that social media goes nuts over for some reason, I don’t see anyone on the boards particularly excited for clowney. I’m VERY excited that it’s an excellent FA pass rush class and we have several visits lined up, which looks to be the general reason for excitement.

plus clowney, if healthy, is still a very noteworthy player, remember that he was bringing a lot of hype with him last year to the Titans and then had to have a surgery. I don’t really like the idea of us signing clowney because i just don’t trust his health, but if there was ever a match made in heaven, it’s that guys skill set with wink martindales defense.