• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
The whole situation is still very interesting because there are so many damn moving parts.

Villanueva makes a lot of sense regardless at this juncture. If you keep Brown, Villanueva is your swing T and insurance in case Ronnie isn’t ready.

If you trade Brown, Villanueva likely slides in at RT as a stopgap and you draft a swing T.

But if you trade Brown AND Ronnie isn’t ready, we could be in some trouble. Villanueva suddenly becomes the starting LT but you have no RT. Basically the point being, there’s a chance the trade could still create a hole even if you do sign Villanueva.

Ideally we get at least an extra day 2 pick out of it (should there be a 1st round pick swap) that you can hopefully get a guy, but we know that’s hardly a sure thing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t get why, he graded out pretty evenly with OBJ on PFF

the answer there is that i dont know - but clearly he's interested enough to come and visit
my guess is that a lot of teams view him as average/below average as a starter and lots of teams already have that - most of those teams are the ones who are heavily in the tackle market trying to upgrade and villanueva wouldnt be seen as an upgrade is my guess... also this is a good looking tackle class and teams may well be waiting to see if they can get one first

which means we might have some competition in the week after the draft before the comp pick deadline for his services

alternatively orlando is going to be traded...

Simba

Staff Member
I don’t get why, he graded out pretty evenly with OBJ on PFF

One of the tough evaluations of Villanueva from last year is probably that he played in an offense that passed a ton... and not only passed a ton, but got the ball out quicker than basically any other offense. Hard to assess how well he really played.

Simba

Staff Member
he's also played a ton with really good run blockers next to him and in 2020 he could not pick up any of the slack

I’m definitely not sure he’s “good” anymore but I also think we could do a lot worse than him as a swing T or stopgap RT. I mean, we trotted Fluker out there last year. We moved a G to T with little practice time. Will Holden got some run and he was on the practice squad all year. Even a deteriorating AV has to be somewhat better than those options.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m definitely not sure he’s “good” anymore but I also think we could do a lot worse than him as a swing T or stopgap RT. I mean, we trotted Fluker out there last year. We moved a G to T with little practice time. Will Holden got some run and he was on the practice squad all year. Even a deteriorating AV has to be somewhat better than those options.

oh 100% - i was more mentioning that in the sense of why he might not be a popular option on the market - and why the steelers are comfortable moving on from him

we also dont know what his asking price is

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am sure that Villanueva likes the sound of coming to a run first offense at this stage of his career especially. A lot of double teams and down blocks in our scheme, at times with the end unblocked. He is a physical brute with caveman technique but he is effective. I'll venture to say he'll be at least as effective in the run game, particularly as regards the aforementioned as would Orlando. I think he'll relish the idea.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I am sure that Villanueva likes the sound of coming to a run first offense at this stage of his career especially. A lot of double teams and down blocks in our scheme, at times with the end unblocked. He is a physical brute with caveman technique but he is effective. I'll venture to say he'll be at least as effective in the run game, particularly as regards the aforementioned as would Orlando. I think he'll relish the idea.

it's certainly a friendly run-blocking scheme for him to join if he does come here to play right tackle

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Not to mention he also has the best ability; availability. Very durable

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No lie I think it’s happening, I think the ravens are gonna surprise the hell out of us with a trade up and not lose draft capital, and still have a starting pair of OTs

devonta smith?
I think a trade up could very well happen as well.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
No lie I think it’s happening, I think the ravens are gonna surprise the hell out of us with a trade up and not lose draft capital, and still have a starting pair of OTs

devonta smith?
As soon as I saw that IG story from (M)Andrews, it was a wrap. It's only a matter of time at this point....