• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That’s what has me most curious at this point. I know they’re probably enamored by Pitts (as they should be) but they need to pick a direction. If you’re going to roll with your 36 year old QB, you kind of signal that you’re going to make one last attempt to go for it, and trading away one of your best players doesn’t make sense. If they do go QB, you’re obviously building for the future and maximizing Julio’s trade value at 32 years old as opposed to 33 makes more sense. Only thing that really changes this thought process is if they want to build for the future but just don’t like the available QBs. And obviously we aren’t going to know if that’s the case or not should they pass on them.

it's possible that because of their dire cap and talent situation in 2022 that they think they're more than 1 year away and so the QB this year isn't worth it (if they dont love any of them)

the only question would be, if they think they're a good roster now, then they probably have to believe that this is the highest pick they'll have for a long time - and may not have the chance at a top QB when they need one...

that's why they're hard to predict
their cap situation and the recent leadership change says that they're a team that needs to blow it up and rebuild (which is what the julio trade says too) but the roster they have on hand right now says they should push all the chips in for 1 more attempt before blowing it up

they're in this weird limbo situation

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
for the falcons it's not just about this year but about 2022 as well - they only have 20 players under contract for 2022 right now and despite that they're in the bottom half of the league in cap space despite being in a rebuild

they need picks in 2022 and they need cap for 2022...
a post-june trade does help them because it means they don't have to pay all that cap hit in 1 salary cap year
Right, but I'm just suggesting that they may not be willing to throw in the towel on winning just yet, which Julio, if nothing else, sort of decreases your chances. That, or you select like a Chase with #4 overall, which would make some sense.

Regardless, their 2022 cap situation is pretty much about one person... Matt Ryan. They can do trades and restructures with anybody else, but if they don't find a way to significantly reduce his cap number, it won't matter. He's upwards of 25%+ of the cap right now. They'll need to extend, restructure, trade, or cut him, if they want any chance of coming out of cap hell.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's possible that because of their dire cap and talent situation in 2022 that they think they're more than 1 year away and so the QB this year isn't worth it (if they dont love any of them)

the only question would be, if they think they're a good roster now, then they probably have to believe that this is the highest pick they'll have for a long time - and may not have the chance at a top QB when they need one...

that's why they're hard to predict
their cap situation and the recent leadership change says that they're a team that needs to blow it up and rebuild (which is what the julio trade says too) but the roster they have on hand right now says they should push all the chips in for 1 more attempt before blowing it up

they're in this weird limbo situation
Agree the coaching change makes it that much more complicated. If they had like a Matt Nagy at HC, they would never, in a million years, blow it up, because that guarantees he won't be around for it.

With a new HC, it is an option. Good chance whatever they do at #4 is going to signal what their intentions are. People are fixated on what SF will do. At least we know what position they're taking. I think what Atlanta and Cincinnati do will have much greater impacts on the draft than what anybody in the top 3 is doing.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Does Julio have a no-trade clause? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I cant imagine he really wants to come to Baltimore.

We're certainly closer to a Super Bowl than the Falcons, but his stats and role would decrease significantly in Baltimore. For someone who is a consistent 1,000 yard WR and “the guy”, is he really going to be ok taking on his new role? When he only sees 4-5 passes a game I'd imagine the frustration is inevitable for a WR of his caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get your point, but if we pay for a tool for our toolbox and an expensive tool that has demonstrated that it works very well, why would we NOT use it? It's kind of arbitrary to automatically presume he's going to be "under-utilized." I don't think he's going to be the absolute focus of the OFF, but even he has to understand that as he ages he can't be that guy anyway, but that he can play a meaningful role despite not reaching previous utilization numbers.

We are going to have to stretch the budget to get him, but he would be a perfect fit. He commands coverage and if teams decide to not cover him to protect against the run or the sneak, JJ will make them PAY. He has to be aware of that and I can't imagine him not salivating about it. He doesn't need to be the focal point. For an aging star that can still play, that has to be an exciting opportunity.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I get your point, but if we pay for a tool for our toolbox and an expensive tool that has demonstrated that it works very well, why would we NOT use it? It's kind of arbitrary to automatically presume he's going to be "under-utilized." I don't think he's going to be the absolute focus of the OFF, but even he has to understand that as he ages he can't be that guy anyway, but that he can play a meaningful role despite not reaching previous utilization numbers.

We are going to have to stretch the budget to get him, but he would be a perfect fit. He commands coverage and if teams decide to not cover him to protect against the run or the sneak, JJ will make them PAY. He has to be aware of that and I can't imagine him not salivating about it. He doesn't need to be the focal point. For an aging star that can still play, that has to be an exciting opportunity.

but also... he would be the focal point - he's still that good

with julio and hollywood on the field you cannot stack the box because they will make you pay outside and over the top

JAAM

Hall of Famer
but also... he would be the focal point - he's still that good

with julio and hollywood on the field you cannot stack the box because they will make you pay outside and over the top
Ugh the thought alone makes me moist. Damn you Jay Glazer and your rational thinking.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Glazer is a straight shooter and more plugged in that most other analysts. I tend to believe what he says.
I mean yeah, but, he's not really reporting anything here. He's pretty much just doing the same analysis that a lot of people have done, which is to suggest that its difficult for a Julio trade to come together for a variety of reasons.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
However, landing Houston, Villaneueva and trading for Julio Jones is a game changer roster wise. Imagine if we can hit on a few gems this draft class like the past two years? It is clearly super bowl or bust at that point in my view.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean yeah, but, he's not really reporting anything here. He's pretty much just doing the same analysis that a lot of people have done, which is to suggest that its difficult for a Julio trade to come together for a variety of reasons.
True but he may have certainly heard that it is unlikely from a source or two at the Falcons...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
However, landing Houston, Villaneueva and trading for Julio Jones is a game changer roster wise. Imagine if we can hit on a few gems this draft class like the past two years? It is clearly super bowl or bust at that point in my view.
I don't see math scenarios where we could obtain all three of those players. If we get Julio, it would be hard enough to sign even one of the other two.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see math scenarios where we could obtain all three of those players. If we get Julio, it would be hard enough to sign even one of the other two.

Sign Julio, convert salary to signing bonus, save 10m, that leaves you with 10 million, -3-4m for draft picks and possibly doing the same to Stanley gives you room to do it I guess. I am not sure I would want to but you could.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sign Julio, convert salary to signing bonus, save 10m, that leaves you with 10 million, -3-4m for draft picks and possibly doing the same to Stanley gives you room to do it I guess. I am not sure I would want to but you could.
1. You won't be able to save $10M this year by converting Julio's salary to bonus. I think you can create $7-8M, but you can't drop his salary to zero.
2. Basically, whatever cap savings you create with him is what you have available to spend. The problems are that nobody has any idea what Houston/any edge rusher, or any veteran Tackle, will cost. I would suspect it'll be at least $3-5M per, and might be more than that. That also leaves you pretty thin elsewhere.

Signing/trading for him will cost you something. It's more of a question of what happens in the draft. You land a Tackle or edge rusher in the first round, maybe you don't need one of those guys, and can fill with mid-round picks.

We will find out in the next 7-8 hours. If we take a WR in the first, the Julio discussion ends.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ummm what?!?!?

Would certainly shake things up.

SF would be the #1 landing/most likely spot. And unless this has been worked on for days behind the scenes and nobody knows about it, just feels like maybe not enough time for SF and GB to pivot to a trade for #3. Other teams may have the capital to pull it off (Carolina/Denver), but I can't even begin to contemplate what the pick compensation would be in a trade.

Would certainly be shocking to see GB move him, though.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would certainly shake things up.

SF would be the #1 landing/most likely spot. And unless this has been worked on for days behind the scenes and nobody knows about it, just feels like maybe not enough time for SF and GB to pivot to a trade for #3. Other teams may have the capital to pull it off (Carolina/Denver), but I can't even begin to contemplate what the pick compensation would be in a trade.

Would certainly be shocking to see GB move him, though.
i dont see it happening either but its kinda wild for something like this to come up the day of the draft.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont see it happening either but its kinda wild for something like this to come up the day of the draft.
Everything about the situation is weird.

And for me, it all started with a blunder of a 1st round pick last year in Jordon Love. That trade up and draft choice looks so incredibly stupid right now.