• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Signing Villanueva becomes super important now - there's options at the other spots on the OL but RT is Tyre Phillips right now unless we sign someone...
I think it’s pretty much a given, even before the draft lol. Like I said when he came in for a visit, he wasn’t going to sign as a backup. He’s a quality starter and I’d love to have him here

JAAM

Hall of Famer
And even with the drafting of Batemen, I’d LOVE if we could sign Jamison Crowder for cheap if he gets cut. Long shot, but another weapon can’t hurt

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
And even with the drafting of Batemen, I’d LOVE if we could sign Jamison Crowder for cheap if he gets cut. Long shot, but another weapon can’t hurt
Can't hurt, but we already have Hollywood, Andrews, and Watkins. Assuming Bateman is everything we think he is, wouldn't Crowder or another vet just be hindering any development we can get out of Duvernay, Boykin, and Proche?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can't hurt, but we already have Hollywood, Andrews, and Watkins. Assuming Bateman is everything we think he is, wouldn't Crowder or another vet just be hindering any development we can get out of Duvernay, Boykin, and Proche?
I’m done with Boykin and I don’t trust Proche. Plus Watkins will more than likely see the trainers table more than the field. I wish him and Crowder were FAs at the same time. Just my opinion though. Boykin is a phenomenal blocker

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I’m done with Boykin and I don’t trust Proche. Plus Watkins will more than likely see the trainers table more than the field. I wish him and Crowder were FAs at the same time. Just my opinion though. Boykin is a phenomenal blocker
I feel at this point adding another wr doesn't help us as much as using that money towards an edge or tackle, and I'd rather give our new coaches a chance to get something out of the guys we already have. I think it'd be fine if we had more money to spend.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Signing Villanueva becomes super important now - there's options at the other spots on the OL but RT is Tyre Phillips right now unless we sign someone...
Based on how we've attacked the draft so far, it seems logical that they pretty much already have a player or two in mind in FA to replace Brown, and they may already sort of have the "handshake" agreement in place. Not saying they can't find a Tackle on day 3, but no way this FO waits that long to replace a starter without some other assurances.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Based on how we've attacked the draft so far, it seems logical that they pretty much already have a player or two in mind in FA to replace Brown, and they may already sort of have the "handshake" agreement in place. Not saying they can't find a Tackle on day 3, but no way this FO waits that long to replace a starter without some other assurances.

yeah for sure - especially as they had a chance at some good ones in round 1 - and there were still a couple of interesting ones we could have traded up for a few spots in round 3

clearly they have a plan at the position (at least for this year)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yeah for sure - especially as they had a chance at some good ones in round 1 - and there were still a couple of interesting ones we could have traded up for a few spots in round 3

clearly they have a plan at the position (at least for this year)
I much would’ve preferred Jenkins @ 31 and Perkins @ 94. Id take that and still sign a RT, let Jenkins dominate at LG for a year then kick out to RT next. And Perkins I just think is a safer prospect than oweh.

I heard the interest in oweh and I really wasn’t surprised when it happened, and prior to drafting him I had already talked myself into liking him, but most of it was scheme related, like if wink can treat him like he treated Patrick queen, I’m sure he’ll be at the very least disruptive, but the more I watch him now... yeah I’m not thrilled with the pick. I really would’ve preferred any of the top OL at 31, Jenkins, Dickerson, eichenberg, shit even mayfield. I just see a lot of ugly missteps on his tape, blind to the ball often, getting himself washed by not having a clue what to do with his arms and hands, running himself right into a firm grasp and trying to just churn the legs hoping he can run through it, he’s gonna have a massive learning curve I’m afraid.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I much would’ve preferred Jenkins @ 31 and Perkins @ 94. Id take that and still sign a RT, let Jenkins dominate at LG for a year then kick out to RT next. And Perkins I just think is a safer prospect than oweh.

I heard the interest in oweh and I really wasn’t surprised when it happened, and prior to drafting him I had already talked myself into liking him, but most of it was scheme related, like if wink can treat him like he treated Patrick queen, I’m sure he’ll be at the very least disruptive, but the more I watch him now... yeah I’m not thrilled with the pick. I really would’ve preferred any of the top OL at 31, Jenkins, Dickerson, eichenberg, shit even mayfield. I just see a lot of ugly missteps on his tape, blind to the ball often, getting himself washed by not having a clue what to do with his arms and hands, running himself right into a firm grasp and trying to just churn the legs hoping he can run through it, he’s gonna have a massive learning curve I’m afraid.

you and i talked a lot in the edge thread pre-draft about what we look for in an edge philosophically - and whether there were some changes we might make in the types of guys we target because of wink's scheme

we talked about Oweh and what his explosion could mean for this defence on the edge even without the refinement and production we normally seek out in our OLB prospects

my guess is the ravens were having similar discussions about how quickly the ball comes out

im very excited about what he could look like in this wink defence, especially on stunts - i want him to stay in pernell mcphee's hip pocket all training camp and learn about hand usage

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
you and i talked a lot in the edge thread pre-draft about what we look for in an edge philosophically - and whether there were some changes we might make in the types of guys we target because of wink's scheme

we talked about Oweh and what his explosion could mean for this defence on the edge even without the refinement and production we normally seek out in our OLB prospects

my guess is the ravens were having similar discussions about how quickly the ball comes out

im very excited about what he could look like in this wink defence, especially on stunts - i want him to stay in pernell mcphee's hip pocket all training camp and learn about hand usage
We did have this discussion and yeah I see why oweh looks like a better prospect in Baltimore than anywhere else, no denying that, my whole question is, does he have it between the ears the way a McPhee or ZDS had, does he see the backfield as well as they do, does he commit as well as they do, is he gonna continue to second guess himself or is he gonna go make mistakes 100mph and even when he fucks up can he be disruptive.

When wink dials him up, I wanna see him run through a motherfuckers face, no thought, no hesitation, cannonball them right in their shit. If he isn’t doing that, then I’m gonna be immediately worried. He can’t have any mental blocks, he has to let his athleticism take over for the first 2 years or so

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it’s pretty much a given, even before the draft lol. Like I said when he came in for a visit, he wasn’t going to sign as a backup. He’s a quality starter and I’d love to have him here
I think it was pretty much a given, but we weren't going to avoid a RT that we liked a lot to appease Villanueva either. They also brought in Kelly for a visit and most likely one of those guys will be signed, but I could also see both of them being signed if the contracts were cheap enough.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We did have this discussion and yeah I see why oweh looks like a better prospect in Baltimore than anywhere else, no denying that, my whole question is, does he have it between the ears the way a McPhee or ZDS had, does he see the backfield as well as they do, does he commit as well as they do, is he gonna continue to second guess himself or is he gonna go make mistakes 100mph and even when he fucks up can he be disruptive.

When wink dials him up, I wanna see him run through a motherfuckers face, no thought, no hesitation, cannonball them right in their shit. If he isn’t doing that, then I’m gonna be immediately worried. He can’t have any mental blocks, he has to let his athleticism take over for the first 2 years or so

for what it's worth i dont see him hesitating in college - just think he doesnt know what to do at times in his pass rush

and i cant find the clip i want - but ive seen enough plays rushing both inside and outside where he just runs through and bulldozes the offensive lineman

and im not sure he ends up playing quite the same role as a mcphee or ZDS - but i think he could learn a lot from McPhee about how to use his hands in both phases

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Crowder himself hasnt been known to be the most durable reaceiver in his career. I really don't not really sure if he would have been on The Ravens radar if he was available but I am excited to see how the receiver battle pans out in training camp this year. I am even more excited to see how beneficial Tee Martain and Keith Williams can be for The Ravens receivers.

JAAM

Hall of Famer