• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Very surprised we were able to extend him as I'd figured he want to leave and be a featured back ala Michael Turner while getting paid. Our running game is set for the next 3 years with Dobbins and Gus both here until 2023.

Turner was drafted; Edwards was not. There’s probably some loyalty there from us taking a chance on him to bring him in. Plus, a ton more opportunities for any RB in our system than was in the SD system

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Turner was drafted; Edwards was not. There’s probably some loyalty there from us taking a chance on him to bring him in. Plus, a ton more opportunities for any RB in our system than was in the SD system
Gus Edwards probably works in our system better than any team in the league. There definitely is a plus running behind Lamar. That being said, we value Gus more than most teams would.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Very surprised we were able to extend him as I'd figured he want to leave and be a featured back ala Michael Turner while getting paid. Our running game is set for the next 3 years with Dobbins and Gus both here until 2023.

no one's gonna pay someone else's non-full-time running back in this day and age and gus has far more value to us than other teams so it makes sense that we'd want him to stay and that he'd want to stay

no team is featuring a RB who's not a factor in the passing game and giving them a boatload of money unless they're at the upper echelon (and mostly those teams have regretted that decision)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
There would not be very many teams looking to pay decent money in FA to a back who doesn't contribute in the passing game. A lot of teams won't even employ a back like Gus.

He did well to get a decent extension from us.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
There would not be very many teams looking to pay decent money in FA to a back who doesn't contribute in the passing game. A lot of teams won't even employ a back like Gus.

He did well to get a decent extension from us.

Lol you act like he’s trash. The guy is a great player. Not his fault LJ barely targets the backfield. He has come up with some pretty damn good catches too

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol you act like he’s trash. The guy is a great player. Not his fault LJ barely targets the backfield. He has come up with some pretty damn good catches too
No, I act like he's a complementary back in a run heavy offense who isn't utilized in the pass game.

NFL teams already aren't spending big money in FA on backs. I seriously doubt many, if any, NFL teams would be interested in a significant investment from a guy who hasn't been a bellcow and hasn't shown great pass game abilities. It really doesn't matter if he can do it or not, because I don't know many NFL teams who are going to pay good money for you to do something that you haven't shown you can do.

He would have done well to get comparable to what Kenyan Drake got as a FA, and I personally don't think he would have gotten that either.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
In regards to us he holds a good amount of value. Don't see another team making this offer. James Connor is playing on about a 1.75 mil 1 year deal I think in Arizona. Works for both parties and a good show of faith by the FO.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
not but he has said that the process was somewhat rushed because they werent expecting CJ to get sniped for that much money and ET was available and they moved onto him without having ever spoken or interacted with him - not like they didnt know him as a player at all but they didn't know about him as a person which is where that signing failed and EDC has readily admitted that that was his failure and that's why that happened and didn't pan out the way it did
Even if they talked to him before signing, it was a 0% chance that they wouldve actually got to know him.Edc blaming himself is just him willing to take the blame as if the signing was actually bad when in reality it wasnt at all in anyway, well unless you thought he was gonna perform like how he did with hawks.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even if they talked to him before signing, it was a 0% chance that they wouldve actually got to know him.Edc blaming himself is just him willing to take the blame as if the signing was actually bad when in reality it wasnt at all in anyway, well unless you thought he was gonna perform like how he did with hawks.
I think its more about the character red flags. They were somewhat there, but we didn't do enough due diligence on him. It may not have changed anything, though.

There were many questions about how ET, schematically, would fit in. Again, he was the prototype "free safety" who liked to roam 15-20 yards off the ball like he did in Seattle, but that's not how we did or currently are employing our Safeties in the Wink scheme. It took him time to adjust, and I think he pissed off a lot of people during that adjustment.

I agree to a certain extent its just leadership taking responsibility for the mistake, but honestly, there's nobody else, besides ET, who should take responsibility. He just didn't fit here.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think its more about the character red flags. They were somewhat there, but we didn't do enough due diligence on him. It may not have changed anything, though.

There were many questions about how ET, schematically, would fit in. Again, he was the prototype "free safety" who liked to roam 15-20 yards off the ball like he did in Seattle, but that's not how we did or currently are employing our Safeties in the Wink scheme. It took him time to adjust, and I think he pissed off a lot of people during that adjustment.

I agree to a certain extent its just leadership taking responsibility for the mistake, but honestly, there's nobody else, besides ET, who should take responsibility. He just didn't fit here.

Amen. Agreed 100%. Not only was he not a fit in terms of character/play style, I’d also bring up the times he showed he was a quitter and soft. Henry packed his lunch and made him eat it too on one single play. And who can forget when he completely stopped chasing on one of the Browns TD plays? I said it after that play that he wasn’t a Raven on another forum… damn, feels good to be right sometimes… LOL

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Amen. Agreed 100%. Not only was he not a fit in terms of character/play style, I’d also bring up the times he showed he was a quitter and soft. Henry packed his lunch and made him eat it too on one single play. And who can forget when he completely stopped chasing on one of the Browns TD plays? I said it after that play that he wasn’t a Raven on another forum… damn, feels good to be right sometimes… LOL
that was Nick Chubb and yes that was absolutely awful.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Oh i agree.. shit i was one of the ones who doubted his ability once he came here.. being a big fan of him and sherman, i knew it would be different playing for us. I dnt think he was a good fit neither tbh. Loved him during patriots game though lol

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
We've signed G Michael Schofield. I've never heard of him - looks like a career backup journeyman type?

He’s straight out of prison. EXTREMELY smart guy. Looks to me like he’s put on a ton of muscle and got rid of the tats though