• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
Glad there’s some resolution with Stanley finally. Sounds like he tried to play through some stuff week 1 and they realized he couldn’t. Gave him the opportunity to rehab and realized surgery was the best option. Sucks to miss out on his play especially after the big contract, but would just rather him try to get right for 2022. A freak injury that was no fault of his own.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Glad there’s some resolution with Stanley finally. Sounds like he tried to play through some stuff week 1 and they realized he couldn’t. Gave him the opportunity to rehab and realized surgery was the best option. Sucks to miss out on his play especially after the big contract, but would just rather him try to get right for 2022. A freak injury that was no fault of his own.
Yep and best thing is it doesn’t sound like Stanley is done or anything he’s going to try to come back next year. It’s about his long term health so hopefully this helps him recover fully so he can be 100%.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

So here's the question. Did he really fuck himself up by playing in that game and that's why surgery is required? This would imply the team rushing him back too early potentially. Or is it that his injury was so gruesome that the initial surgery was just not enough and he was always going to need a second procedure?

The second question is do we even have any reason to believe that he can be healed for 2022?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So here's the question. Did he really fuck himself up by playing in that game and that's why surgery is required? This would imply the team rushing him back too early potentially. Or is it that his injury was so gruesome that the initial surgery was just not enough and he was always going to need a second procedure?

The second question is do we even have any reason to believe that he can be healed for 2022?
I sort of thought the same with question #1. Like I guess it's possible he re-aggravated the injury in week 1, but that would also lead me to believe that his first surgery wasn't all that successful to begin with.

As for 2022, I'm confident he'll come back. Assuming he has surgery now, he'll have like 9 months to recover before training camp starts, and I would imagine whatever surgery he's having now would not need to do like a total repair of the injury from before.

That being said, if he doesn't make it back next year, I'm not sure he ever would. That would basically be 2+ years removed from the injury at that point.

Simba

Staff Member

No one is saying directly but all of the rumors are pointing to him just not being ready week 1 and it being more of a pain management thing than any structural concerns. He thought it was something he could play through. He got out there and realized he could not. He tried to see if he could avoid the surgery but all of the advice led to that and here we are.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
No one is saying directly but all of the rumors are pointing to him just not being ready week 1 and it being more of a pain management thing than any structural concerns. He thought it was something he could play through. He got out there and realized he could not. He tried to see if he could avoid the surgery but all of the advice led to that and here we are.

Hmmm. If those rumors are true then I think the situation is very volatile correct? Like if structurally everything is OK, but he's got some nerve damage and pain issues, if the secondary surgery can fix it, then he might just totally get healthy quickly and come back the same player. If that second surgery can't fix it, his career is just over right?

Nurps

MVP
Hmmm. If those rumors are true then I think the situation is very volatile correct? Like if structurally everything is OK, but he's got some nerve damage and pain issues, if the secondary surgery can fix it, then he might just totally get healthy quickly and come back the same player. If that second surgery can't fix it, his career is just over right?

This is where I'm at. 2nd surgery, see if it works, make a decision on his career.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Acknowledging that neither I nor anybody else on here is a doctor... it would seem to be more than a pain management thing if he needs a second surgery. That, or, he re-injured it by playing/practicing.

A pain management issue I would suspect would just require more rest and rehab. The fact that he's getting another surgery means either a re-injury or that simply a second surgery is needed because the first one didn't take care of the injury the way perhaps they expected or designed it. That happens all the time.

Simba

Staff Member
Acknowledging that neither I nor anybody else on here is a doctor... it would seem to be more than a pain management thing if he needs a second surgery. That, or, he re-injured it by playing/practicing.

A pain management issue I would suspect would just require more rest and rehab. The fact that he's getting another surgery means either a re-injury or that simply a second surgery is needed because the first one didn't take care of the injury the way perhaps they expected or designed it. That happens all the time.

Rumors that it’s nerve related which is fixable and not always evident right away. As someone with nerve damage of my own that has been through something similar, it can be fixed. For me, I broke my elbow and the nerve that was going down beneath it started getting some strain with the metal and it became very uncomfortable. They ended up rerouting the nerve in an additional surgery and the relief was amazing. Not saying that’s what it is with Stanley but if the nerve stuff cropped up in recovery like it did with me, there are options to mitigate that pain/uncomfortableness.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I sort of thought the same with question #1. Like I guess it's possible he re-aggravated the injury in week 1, but that would also lead me to believe that his first surgery wasn't all that successful to begin with.

As for 2022, I'm confident he'll come back. Assuming he has surgery now, he'll have like 9 months to recover before training camp starts, and I would imagine whatever surgery he's having now would not need to do like a total repair of the injury from before.

That being said, if he doesn't make it back next year, I'm not sure he ever would. That would basically be 2+ years removed from the injury at that point.
This was exactly my thought. That he isn't having a total repair of the injury before. Dr. Andrews is performing the surgery and I wondered if he performed it in the first place.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Well I'm wishing Stanley the best. He's a good man as well a good LT. Hopefully he returns. But like a fine race horse, there's a lot if weight on those ankles, so we"ll have to see.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
You guys really think we can ride the old RBs to a Super Bowl this year?

Dirt1

Practice Squad
You guys really think we can ride the old RBs to a Super Bowl this year?

Put it this way. Those old RBs will not be the reason the Ravens don’t get to or win the Super Bowl this year. They may not be great, but they are good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk