• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

And yet I don't see any of them on this team. You can be in on one guy and miss out. It's actually a bad look to be in on 3 and not get any. That's to go on top of Meyers and the whole list of guys they were already in on and didn't get.

Fucking do it bro.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Sir I do not want to put anything in your mouth.

I am not choosing one or the other. There is a pattern though. Marlo came out after the playoff game and said he noticed Lamar limping for example.
That's not what the discussion was, however. What was being talked about was whether we had a poor culture or poor management based on player account and players asking for trades. And what you're doing now is changing the player to fit your wishes - trust the player.

I don't trust two players who have denigrated every team they've played on. I do trust Marlo and seemingly honest players like him who voice their opinions in the locker room and sometimes do it on social media. That's part of football and you can pretty much glean what is going on from players like Marlo and Dobbins. Because Dobbins thinks his use in the last two games was poor and voices that in the locker room AND to the media - does that mean we have a culture problem or management issues? Of course not.

My point is there are many people in the locker room, players, coaches, staff and in the FO who know and talk to reporters. It's a reporter's job to generate contacts and sources. There are plenty of people who work in the organization that when talking to reporters ask not to be sourced or "you didn't hear it here, but..." who, not surprisingly, actually corroborate a story by saying very similar things to the reporter. So I generally "trust" that when I read the "feelings of the organization are..." that it's mostly accurate. Is it 100%? No, perhaps, but trustworthy.

So when I initially said, "Consider the source..." That's what I meant. Dez and Deshaun have had axes to grind. That safety who hates Harbaugh - his name escapes me - there are just plenty of guys who have personal issues with either specific teams or the NFL for them to be taken seriously. Marlo and Dobbins are, certainly, not in that category.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Please sweet baby Jesus

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
True, except typically, that means a better draft pick is given in exchange for the $. So probably at least the third rounder this year, or maybe a future 2nd rounder. But hard to see what the market is currently.
Yeah he's owed 19.5 right now. If they were willing to pay 5m (could be crazy) and you cut Duv, then you only need to pay him 9.5 this year.

Question is would we part with our first round pick to get a DHop < 10M this year and the opportunity to sign him for the next few years? Because if we're asking for them to pay anything significant, I don't see how that's not 1st round (2nd at the latest and we don't have one) territory using Roquan for reference.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah he's owed 19.5 right now. If they were willing to pay 5m (could be crazy) and you cut Duv, then you only need to pay him 9.5 this year.

Question is would we part with our first round pick to get a DHop < 10M this year and the opportunity to sign him for the next few years? Because if we're asking for them to pay anything significant, I don't see how that's not 1st round (2nd at the latest and we don't have one) territory using Roquan for reference.
1st round pick? Not a chance. I wouldn't want us to either, and realistically, based on what we've seen receivers traded for this offseason, that's a massive overpay.

If I'm giving up my first rounder for him, they better eat like almost all of the salary.

I'd rather just take most of the salary, restructure the deal, and spread it out longer, which is what most teams will do anyway.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
1st round pick? Not a chance. I wouldn't want us to either, and realistically, based on what we've seen receivers traded for this offseason, that's a massive overpay.

If I'm giving up my first rounder for him, they better eat like almost all of the salary.

I'd rather just take most of the salary, restructure the deal, and spread it out longer, which is what most teams will do anyway.
This is what I'd like to do as well. That being said Arizona opened up this offseason saying they wanted a 1 for DHop and that did not include any paying of his salary. I don't know where this all shakes out too because the market has been way lower than the last 2 years as you said.

I'm just not sure what the hold up is on this? Because it would seem the Ravens are not budging on either of the 2 capital axes. Money or picks. You can't have it both ways EDC.

But again I totally agree. Give up next year's second and then restructure the man's deal. Come on!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

That first rounder is our only chance to have a meaningful draft. Whether we trade way back and actually give ourselves a day 2, or just take a guy at 22, our roster is gonna go through some wild shit over the next few years if we essentially opt out of the draft for Hopkins

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
That first rounder is our only chance to have a meaningful draft. Whether we trade way back and actually give ourselves a day 2, or just take a guy at 22, our roster is gonna go through some wild shit over the next few years if we essentially opt out of the draft for Hopkins
Agreed. Which is why I'd actually advocate for saying fuck having Arizona pay some of his salary. Stop being fucking cheap, do your fucking job and pay his goddamn salary. If you have to give up a 2 next year and 4 this year than so be it

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is what I'd like to do as well. That being said Arizona opened up this offseason saying they wanted a 1 for DHop and that did not include any paying of his salary. I don't know where this all shakes out too because the market has been way lower than the last 2 years as you said.

I'm just not sure what the hold up is on this? Because it would seem the Ravens are not budging on either of the 2 capital axes. Money or picks. You can't have it both ways EDC.

But again I totally agree. Give up next year's second and then restructure the man's deal. Come on!
Well, realistically, anybody of note you bring in is probably going to cost at least like $6-7M against the cap, even with a restructure, extension, or paycut. And at the moment, we're probably just not willing to take on that type of hit with the uncertainty for Lamar.

These are also the kinds of trades that really you can be patient with, because neither side is in a rush to do anything.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. Which is why I'd actually advocate for saying fuck having Arizona pay some of his salary. Stop being fucking cheap, do your fucking job and pay his goddamn salary. If you have to give up a 2 next year and 4 this year than so be it
OK, but if we pay his salary today, it opens up a greater possibility that Lamar isn't the QB. So why do I want Hopkins here if Lamar isn't going to be here?

We're not paying his current salary. There's really just no math or roster construction that gets there. In order for that trade to happen, either the Cardinals have to eat a good chunk of it, or he's got to sign an extension or take a paycut.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
OK, but if we pay his salary today, it opens up a greater possibility that Lamar isn't the QB. So why do I want Hopkins here if Lamar isn't going to be here?

We're not paying his current salary. There's really just no math or roster construction that gets there. In order for that trade to happen, either the Cardinals have to eat a good chunk of it, or he's got to sign an extension or take a paycut.
Definitely true. The Ravens probably have a better chance of getting someone like Allen Robinson instead whom The Rams seem be willing to let go and even pay some of his salary but it definitely doesn't make sense for The Ravens to acquire a receiver with decent more cap hit without the Lamar situation being settled first.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Idk I just don't feel as strongly about that as you but I understand why you're saying it. I don't think Lamar is getting an offer of any kind before, during, or after the draft. And if he does and we need to match than ok so be it, other moves will need to be made like tough cuts and restructures.

Ultimately, if I'm being realistic. You just make the trade after the draft. And you do it for 2 reasons. 1 it's safer for Lamar. 2 you don't even have a 2nd round pick this year. Just give up next year's.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk I just don't feel as strongly about that as you but I understand why you're saying it. I don't think Lamar is getting an offer of any kind before, during, or after the draft. And if he does and we need to match than ok so be it, other moves will need to be made like tough cuts and restructures.

Ultimately, if I'm being realistic. You just make the trade after the draft. And you do it for 2 reasons. 1 it's safer for Lamar. 2 you don't even have a 2nd round pick this year. Just give up next year's.
Well, at his current salary, there really isn't enough cuts or restructures to be made. Like cuts would be like cutting somebody really good, who likely would contribute as much or more than Hopkins would anyway, so I'd rather just keep that player and not trade for Hopkins in that case.

I'm also just not really that optimistic about Hopkins being a difference maker to begin with. An upgrade over what we currently have? Sure. Also very expensive, has as much if not more injury concerns to the guys we have or had, like Bateman or Hollywood, and is clearly on the tail end of his career. For that, I want a bargain deal, not a market or above market deal. A 2nd rounder is too much for him in my opinion. I'd rather just take a second rounder next year and just draft a WR then. Or use it to trade up and get somebody better this year.

And frankly, I couldn't give a shit whether its "safe" for Lamar or not. According to him, he doesn't want to be here anyway, so the last thing I'm doing is structuring my player acquisition to appease somebody who wants out. He signs an extension, then we'll talk about how I can make his life easier. Not before then. Hopkins trade is the perfect thing you do around training camp, when he's locked into the tag and there's no threat from other teams.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

You don't want to give up next years draft capitol when you don't even know who your QB is. Much stronger class next year.