• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Old Bay

Veteran
Screenshot_20230526_182052_Bleacher Report.jpg

From bleacher report. Obviously, pure speculation, but man, I hope this happens.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'll say this about DHop. It is basically June. Very few teams even have cap room at all beyond the in season emergency fund. Is it possible he signs a high APR deal? I mean maybe, but this is simply a guess, don't @ me, I think he makes significantly less than the 19m he was slotted to make this year. Teams are gonna largely have to do restructures or use a lot of void years to get him on the books at this point.

WWould I like to see us use our money towards DHop, I mean not more than I would like to see Amos and Houston, and MP. Ravens have made mentions of wanting more depth at certain spots and have quietly done it. Mustipher and Blackson already filled two spots.

At the end of the day, DeCosta is gonna try and build the most impactful team he can. If he thinks that DHop brings more value to the club than Houston and MP combined then he'll try and sign him. It is just my guess that even with the reduction in money DHop will get this year, EDC still sees defensive depth as more impactful.

GGonna be a fun rest of the offseason

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
Just wonder where he will land. And if he will take less money. It is anybody's guess!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll say this about DHop. It is basically June. Very few teams even have cap room at all beyond the in season emergency fund. Is it possible he signs a high APR deal? I mean maybe, but this is simply a guess, don't @ me, I think he makes significantly less than the 19m he was slotted to make this year. Teams are gonna largely have to do restructures or use a lot of void years to get him on the books at this point.

WWould I like to see us use our money towards DHop, I mean not more than I would like to see Amos and Houston, and MP. Ravens have made mentions of wanting more depth at certain spots and have quietly done it. Mustipher and Blackson already filled two spots.

At the end of the day, DeCosta is gonna try and build the most impactful team he can. If he thinks that DHop brings more value to the club than Houston and MP combined then he'll try and sign him. It is just my guess that even with the reduction in money DHop will get this year, EDC still sees defensive depth as more impactful.

GGonna be a fun rest of the offseason
Any team can afford to sign him. Just depends on structure of the deal. We got Odell for $15M on a $4M cap hit. It can be done.
It's a question of should it be done. If Hopkins gets even $12M on a one year deal, how do you structure it to afford it? Are you going to take a $8-9M dead money cap hit next year? Maybe.
If he and Odell are rentals, everybody just cool with like $20M cap hit in 2024 for them both, who aren't playing? I'm not.

The longer the deal he signs, the more flexibility for teams.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Any team can afford to sign him. Just depends on structure of the deal. We got Odell for $15M on a $4M cap hit. It can be done.
It's a question of should it be done. If Hopkins gets even $12M on a one year deal, how do you structure it to afford it? Are you going to take a $8-9M dead money cap hit next year? Maybe.
If he and Odell are rentals, everybody just cool with like $20M cap hit in 2024 for them both, who aren't playing? I'm not.

The longer the deal he signs, the more flexibility for teams.
Yeah all that is true. I do think that 12m is about what he's gonna get if he's a 1 year rental for any team this year. So not any team can just put him on the books for this year. Yeah any team can sign him, but as you and I both said it will take structuring for multiple years.

I wouldn't like the amount of dead money they'd produce either going forward. But I'd think there's a chance that DHop signing with a stable organization like us (he explicitly stated) could lead to this being his final destination. Meaning that it isn't a contract as a 1 year rental. But that's obviously pure speculation.

Only possible evidence that could point that way is that he's stated multiple times he's not looking for a raise and he knows he's nearing the end of his career. Maybe you could get him to sign a 4 year deal worth like 60M. Could be worth it.

No matter what, a DHop signing for 1 year is a lot worse than for many years.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
As fun as dhop sounds, and no matter what I’d be on board 100% if we managed to pull it off, Marcus peters, Justin Houston, and perhaps clowney or ioannidis, seems like it would go much further for this roster.

Where dhop works for me is if he gets a 3 year deal with void years, and he’s the guy that bridges Odell’s one year deal and the back half of Bateman’s rookie deal, we ensure not only a very strong WR trio but a deep one for what looks like the bulk of our super bowl window, with the added bonus of a really ridiculous wr room right now.

I hate to reference a team that fell short, but adding dhop would give this team 98 Vikings vibes, but a far more complete roster