• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If we do want Hop it probably isn't even that hard. Cutting Duv and replacing him with Keaton Mitchell actually makes it super easy probably

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we do want Hop it probably isn't even that hard. Cutting Duv and replacing him with Keaton Mitchell actually makes it super easy probably
Super easy how? To afford him under the cap this year? You can do that 12 different ways.
Is he getting the OBJ deal where they'll combined to cost over $20M next year, here or not?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Super easy how? To afford him under the cap this year? You can do that 12 different ways.
Is he getting the OBJ deal where they'll combined to cost over $20M next year, here or not?
I don't think the team would even really consider the OBJ strategy with him. I don't know why you're so triggered. As stated yesterday, I don't think the team views this as a move that impacts the team over others.

That being said we have 9.5m effective cap room (the rest is the in season emergency fund). Duv is owed 4.5 that you can get a lot of off the books.

Hopkins has stated now multiple times (you don't have to believe him because words are cheap, but it doesn't mean he didn't say them) that things other than money are more important to him in his football career now. Including a QB who's all in (mentioned it would be an honor to play with Lamar), stable GM, and strong defense. Well that's here!

Finally he has said both he's NOT looking for a raise AND understands he's on the back half of his career and would be willing to be "flexible on the last 2 years of his new deal".

It would seem if his words are true, he'd like to be here and isn't going to be crazy about the money. Expensive yes, but actually affordable? I would think. And again there are easy moves to clear space if you want him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think the team would even really consider the OBJ strategy with him. I don't know why you're so triggered. As stated yesterday, I don't think the team views this as a move that impacts the team over others.

That being said we have 9.5m effective cap room (the rest is the in season emergency fund). Duv is owed 4.5 that you can get a lot of off the books.

Hopkins has stated now multiple times (you don't have to believe him because words are cheap, but it doesn't mean he didn't say them) that things other than money are more important to him in his football career now. Including a QB who's all in (mentioned it would be an honor to play with Lamar), stable GM, and strong defense. Well that's here!

Finally he has said both he's NOT looking for a raise AND understands he's on the back half of his career and would be willing to be "flexible on the last 2 years of his new deal".

It would seem if his words are true, he'd like to be here and isn't going to be crazy about the money. Expensive yes, but actually affordable? I would think. And again there are easy moves to clear space if you want him.
Is Hopkins returning kicks, or is there somebody else on the roster that does that?
What's Flowers role on the team?

These would be the things they'd need to reconcile first. Along with what available space is left to address positions with far less depth and are far more critical to the teams success this year (Corner and Pass Rusher).

Overall, I think the people advocating for Hopkins are thinking of this from a fantasy football team perspective more than like an actual roster construction, designed a team to win football games type thing.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Is Hopkins returning kicks, or is there somebody else on the roster that does that?

These would be the things they'd need to reconcile first. Along with what available space is left to address positions with far less depth and are far more critical to the teams success this year (Corner and Pass Rusher).

Overall, I think the people advocating for Hopkins are thinking of this from a fantasy football team perspective more than like an actual roster construction, designed a team to win football games type thing.
Lol one I already said Keaton Mitchell takes over for Duv. Flowers plays in the slot. Yes you would sacrifice on other areas of the roster but for the third time, I have neither advocated for it nor have I even predicted it to happen.

So I'll say it real slow for you, they can pretty easily sign Hopkins if they want to and think that's best for the team. End of statement.

(here comes the comment of well a team can do anything they want at any time for any reason blah blah)

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

It's overkill unless we are going to make trades. Like you said, we have other needs to fill.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lol one I already said Keaton Mitchell takes over for Duv. Flowers plays in the slot. Yes you would sacrifice on other areas of the roster but for the third time, I have neither advocated for it nor have I even predicted it to happen.

So I'll say it real slow for you, they can pretty easily sign Hopkins if they want to and think that's best for the team. End of statement.

(here comes the comment of well a team can do anything they want at any time for any reason blah blah)
next year, without an extension, OBJ will count 11m minimum in dead cap and possibly 14m. If the deal is structured similarly, we would have over 20m in dead cap. If we bring Hopkins in, Flowers would be your 5th option. I love Hopkins like the rest of the board, but it wouldn't be prudent.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
next year, without an extension, OBJ will count 11m minimum in dead cap and possibly 14m. If the deal is structured similarly, we would have over 20m in dead cap. If we bring Hopkins in, Flowers would be your 5th option. I love Hopkins like the rest of the board, but it wouldn't be prudent.
I agree and that's why I don't think it will happen. If it does happen, it will be a long term deal, but again not predicting even that to happen.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Mitchell doesn't have much kick or punt return experience so not sure where the optimism is coming from in regards to him being able to handle it unless this really mainly off the new rule changes the owners just passed few weeks ago . Honestly The Ravens really wouldn't even need Mitchell for that particular reason cause Justice Hill can already basically handle return duties. Not saying the guy wont make the team though but the Ravens don't often carry 4 running backs unless they really, really ,really, really ,really, really need to.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Man I love odell but he really finna stop us from signing my favorite WR in the league :(

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While I'd expect this to be true, Dov is actually an idiot and unreliable

It’s also a different scenario for him now - when he said those things he just wanted to get out of arizona

Now that he’s out he’s not as worried about cap concerns

I imagine who he plays with and how the team is managed will be important to him but now that he’s not having to force a trade he can focus on money more

He’s also never been a free agent before and this is probably his last chance to make a ton of money

marklar

Pro Bowler
There’s so much roster flexibility with call ups now that I’d be surprised if they didn’t. Not hard to keep an extra QB (or really any position) on the 53 nowadays.
Extremely late reply:
Harbs: "But, there'always just one more ST ILB that I simply have to have on the 53. Screw them QBs"

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
There's buzz that Hopkins will sign with the Chargers. But if you thought it would be stupid for the Ravens to sign him, the Chargers are an even stupider location

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's buzz that Hopkins will sign with the Chargers. But if you thought it would be stupid for the Ravens to sign him, the Chargers are an even stupider location

Where you see this at? I’m sure all my San Diego buddies would love it