• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offensive Line Scoring: Week 14

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
I must say I'm a little surprised by these grades. It didn't look B on average during the game. Drop off at C is evident though.

That was my initial reaction as well, but much of what the Bills did to create pressure on Jackson was related to either getting free runners via blitz or not being fooled on boots. The line did the important things in terms of avoiding penalties, sacks, QHs (the biggest charges).

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That was my initial reaction as well, but much of what the Bills did to create pressure on Jackson was related to either getting free runners via blitz or not being fooled on boots. The line did the important things in terms of avoiding penalties, sacks, QHs (the biggest charges).
In other words, it seems that the Bills front was the first one to maintain assignment discipline against us this season (not counting early games). That's not easy vs Lamar, they played great.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In other words, it seems that the Bills front was the first one to maintain assignment discipline against us this season (not counting early games). That's not easy vs Lamar, they played great.

They played great and I think importantly also they trusted their dbs in 1v1 type situations against our receivers (Andrews being out was obviously huge in terms of dictating coverage)

Gregg rosenthaal made an interesting point that while conventional wisdom has been that you need an incredible run defence to stop us - it might actually be that being great against the pass frees up extra bodies to come down into the box - not sure I agree with that given what we did against the pats but something to consider given both the 9ers and bills are notably pretty great on the backend and in the passing game in general

Of course there was the weather also

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
They played great and I think importantly also they trusted their dbs in 1v1 type situations against our receivers (Andrews being out was obviously huge in terms of dictating coverage)

Gregg rosenthaal made an interesting point that while conventional wisdom has been that you need an incredible run defence to stop us - it might actually be that being great against the pass frees up extra bodies to come down into the box - not sure I agree with that given what we did against the pats but something to consider given both the 9ers and bills are notably pretty great on the backend and in the passing game in general

Of course there was the weather also

Having good corners is one key. Wind is the other to handicap the passing game.

I believe Lamar will be fine in cold weather if it's not windy, but this Ravens team has their biggest advantages (offense and kicking) greatly reduced by wind.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
One thing I think important and worth mentioning; The Ravens are minimizing Lamar's interior follows and power/counter type calls of late. Everything is outside (Lamar runs) vs. Bills by intent. This is of course to not risk a big hit by running him through the interior unless we need to at this point. It explains the gives to the back on short yardage, 3rd down through the game and it explains the curious passes on third and one.

Come playoffs, all bets will be off in that regard. I remember watching us vs. NE this year and The Ravens running Lamar up the middle for 7 on the first series and thinking, "we got' them now".

We'll see how disciplined they are if they manage a rematch in the post season. My guess is it will be a thoroughly different story.