• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Turron's Film Room

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Turron Davenport of ESPN joins Ken McKusick to take a look at what the Titans can do to contain the Ravens on Saturday night. You can find the podcast here.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Turron Davenport of ESPN joins Ken McKusick to take a look at what the Titans can do to contain the Ravens on Saturday night. You can find the podcast here.
I just began listening but had to pause and make sure I heard davenport correctly. "Correa is going to aggressively set the edge...? OK

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
his video of how they would draw it up a la the ravens against kaepernick is equally questionable... with the way titans edge guys seem to have been coached to play when unblocked they arent going to be setting an edge at all
yep, they are going to have to play completely different than they have been coached up all season. We are going to put up a 30 or 40 burger on them if they play it the same way.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
his video of how they would draw it up a la the ravens against kaepernick is equally questionable... with the way titans edge guys seem to have been coached to play when unblocked they arent going to be setting an edge at all
the more I listened, the more I want to crush the titans.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the more I listened, the more I want to crush the titans.

ill be gutted if we dont win because we clearly have all the matchup advantages except potentially losing the edge and derrick henry springing big runs that way

in every other facet of the game (except when they punt) we should have a clear advantage and its not a small one - they dont have the personnel or the scheme to stop what we do on either side of the ball

it will take a lot of things to go "wrong" for us not to win and win comfortably - like some unlucky bounces, some questionable decisions, maybe a mesh point goes wrong, maybe someone slips on a 4th down... stuff like that - but even when that stuff has happened this year we've overcome it - think of 2 of the picks in the steelers game, the mesh point in the browns game, the miracle strip by the backup DB in the 49ers game, the 2 fumbles in the pats game, the pick in the bills game - we've overcome all that stuff - so it would take a major coming together of multiple bad luck elements to create a problem for us

i really am doubling down on this but if we are winning 7-0 after the first 2 drives i think it might be game over

doesnt mean im not nervous though

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
ill be gutted if we dont win because we clearly have all the matchup advantages except potentially losing the edge and derrick henry springing big runs that way

in every other facet of the game (except when they punt) we should have a clear advantage and its not a small one - they dont have the personnel or the scheme to stop what we do on either side of the ball

it will take a lot of things to go "wrong" for us not to win and win comfortably - like some unlucky bounces, some questionable decisions, maybe a mesh point goes wrong, maybe someone slips on a 4th down... stuff like that - but even when that stuff has happened this year we've overcome it - think of 2 of the picks in the steelers game, the mesh point in the browns game, the miracle strip by the backup DB in the 49ers game, the 2 fumbles in the pats game, the pick in the bills game - we've overcome all that stuff - so it would take a major coming together of multiple bad luck elements to create a problem for us

i really am doubling down on this but if we are winning 7-0 after the first 2 drives i think it might be game over

doesnt mean im not nervous though
Im definitely nervous. I don't think the Titans can stop us though I agree that funny things can happen....There is a worried part of me that thinks The Titans might have something for our defense through the air. I think the home field advantage in this contest is less than it might be vs. KC if the two of us advance. Titans are not worried at all about coming in here and in a sense are playing with house money. We won't see resignation until the whistle blows at the end. they won't quit.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Im definitely nervous. I don't think the Titans can stop us though I agree that funny things can happen....There is a worried part of me that thinks The Titans might have something for our defense through the air. I think the home field advantage in this contest is less than it might be vs. KC if the two of us advance. Titans are not worried at all about coming in here and in a sense are playing with house money. We won't see resignation until the whistle blows at the end. they won't quit.

was listening to Turron's analysis and he was talking about how Tannehill has a high y/a but that a lot of that comes after the catch - which would suggest that we need to be able to deal with the YAC (and AJ Brown is a great runner after the catch) - while he's still one of the best in the league according to pro-football-reference in air yards/attempt he's also 2nd in the league in YAC/completion so there's definitely something to be said for those big plays coming after the catch - I think what Earl said this week about the patriots not being interested in tackling derrick henry (and i inferred other teams too) and that we have a different mindset but i think its probably a mindset that we have to apply to all their receivers... Jonnu Smith, AJ Brown, Derrick Henry are all great after the catch - part of that effectiveness comes from the space they've been given in the play-action game and i think its pretty telling that maybe the greatest defensive mind in the history of the NFL (BB) decided to focus on taking away that element of their game and did so incredibly effectively and while Henry rushed all over them, that game-plan was able to limit the titans to 14 offensive points

that being said I dont think there's been a better secondary vs the pass in the league since the bye week than the Ravens and we have been comfortable playing man all year with little safety help which obviously limits the benefits of a play-action game because it's no longer about manufacturing 1v1 opportunities - it puts pressure on our DBs for sure but it doesnt put more pressure on them than is on them most of the time

there's definitely something to be said for the titans coming in and playing with house money though

Charm City

Pro Bowler
was listening to Turron's analysis and he was talking about how Tannehill has a high y/a but that a lot of that comes after the catch - which would suggest that we need to be able to deal with the YAC (and AJ Brown is a great runner after the catch) - while he's still one of the best in the league according to pro-football-reference in air yards/attempt he's also 2nd in the league in YAC/completion so there's definitely something to be said for those big plays coming after the catch - I think what Earl said this week about the patriots not being interested in tackling derrick henry (and i inferred other teams too) and that we have a different mindset but i think its probably a mindset that we have to apply to all their receivers... Jonnu Smith, AJ Brown, Derrick Henry are all great after the catch - part of that effectiveness comes from the space they've been given in the play-action game and i think its pretty telling that maybe the greatest defensive mind in the history of the NFL (BB) decided to focus on taking away that element of their game and did so incredibly effectively and while Henry rushed all over them, that game-plan was able to limit the titans to 14 offensive points

that being said I dont think there's been a better secondary vs the pass in the league since the bye week than the Ravens and we have been comfortable playing man all year with little safety help which obviously limits the benefits of a play-action game because it's no longer about manufacturing 1v1 opportunities - it puts pressure on our DBs for sure but it doesnt put more pressure on them than is on them most of the time

there's definitely something to be said for the titans coming in and playing with house money though
I want to see us swarm to one side of the line whenever we see a run. From what I've seen from Henry he is not the type to cut back and when he does it takes him a little while to accelerate, which should give our safeties time to fill in any gaps. Bwill and Pierce will probably be two of the 3 down lineman we have in the 3-3-5 and we'll need them to hold down their gaps in order to keep Henry from slashing down a gap immediately.