• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Gil Brandt's All Time Safety List

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Maybe Humph will make this list of all time great safety's. Of Course the idea is for him to be a very good cornerback at the least should he play there his career. But if I could pick a very good cornerback and a special hof caliber SS. One that can drop in the box one play then shadow Julio Jones the next. Like a faster better coverage version of Sean Taylor. I would take that!!

Maybe Humph will make this list of all time great safety's. Of Course the idea is for him to be a very good cornerback at the least should he play there his career. But if I could pick a very good cornerback and a special hof caliber SS. One that can drop in the box one play then shadow Julio Jones the next. Like a faster better coverage version of Sean Taylor. I would take that!!

Hes killing it at camp, its early but encouraging

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
your comment on Sean Taylor was just wrong. Taylor played sideline to sideline and if he was on a better defense or better team in general and played a full career he would be HOF caliber and had the ability to play cb. He would line in the nickel and drop back sometimes 20-30 yards. The guy was an amazing talent. In 2006 he had a bad year because the skins decided to bring in Adam Archuletta. That overall defensive team was really bad and for no fault of Sean taylors.
Gregg Williams called Sean Taylor his favorite player that he has ever coached. A player that could play cb safety nickel corner and linebacker. He was the most talented player on the defense from the day they drafted him. It's a shame his life ended so abruptly.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
A faster version of Sean Taylor with better coverage skills would make him one of the best DBs to ever play the game considering that Taylor was lights out in coverage in 2007 before tragically passing away. That's a bit of a disservice to Taylor.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
your comment on Sean Taylor was just wrong. Taylor played sideline to sideline and if he was on a better defense or better team in general and played a full career he would be HOF caliber and had the ability to play cb. He would line in the nickel and drop back sometimes 20-30 yards. The guy was an amazing talent. In 2006 he had a bad year because the skins decided to bring in Adam Archuletta. That overall defensive team was really bad and for no fault of Sean taylors.
Gregg Williams called Sean Taylor his favorite player that he has ever coached. A player that could play cb safety nickel corner and linebacker. He was the most talented player on the defense from the day they drafted him. It's a shame his life ended so abruptly.

He woulda been a hall of famer. I knew he could cover like a cornerback. But I didn't know he could cover that well

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ed played in 189 total games; with 73 interceptions, 156 passes defended, 11 forced fumbles, 14 fumbles recovered, six sacks, 531 solo tackles, 1,947 all-purpose return yards and nine touchdowns. Furthermore, Reed was a five-time first team All-Pro, nine-time Pro Bowler, and Pro Football Reference rated him with a career approximate value of 136.