• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Thursday Night Football

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
TNF is absolutely horrible, and it isnt getting any better, and i cant for the life of me understand why the NFL is allowing this to continue.

the premise of the NFL in the middle of the week, i think is a great one, every single professional sport plays pretty much all throughout the week, the NFL is the most popular sports league in the country, why wouldnt we want more nights with NFL football? sunday to sunday with one monday night game is just too long a wait. the problem is that the NFL allows thursday night football to be god awful. when the good teams get their one TNF game theyre always against scrub teams and they turn into blowouts, OR the game is just a dreadful performance of 2 bad teams.

WHYYY can the NFL not take one of the good matchups at 1pm on sundays, and convert it to a TNF game? for instance, week 3 you have the rams and 49ers, cant think of a shittier matchup, but in that same week you have: bucs/vikes, saints/panthers, giants/eagles, falcons/lions, all at 1pm, quality matchups that only people in those teams markets get to see, while we nationally televise an unwatchable throwaway game.

another issue, is the coverage. NFL network does a god awful job broadcasting it, the commentation, sideline analysts, etc. is all horrible, it feels amateur and cheaply put together. again, this has to be fixable.

that said, i took another look through, the TNF schedule actually appears to be better than it typically is, but over the years TNF has been a laughing stock, and it shouldnt be. football mid week is a great idea to ease the anxious wait for sunday. i really wish i could get excited about watching TNF the same way i do about SNF/MNF.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only TNF games should be opening day and Thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving participants should have a bye from the week before. Just a plain money grab from the NFL. Longer injury reports and vanilla game plans. Yay.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the problem is that TNF has to feature every team once - which means that having a 49ers rams game is actually useful early on in the season because it gets 2 bad teams out of the way in one game - that said i dont like that as a model given that primetime in other slots like monday and sunday night is earned not freely given

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The only TNF games should be opening day and Thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving participants should have a bye from the week before. Just a plain money grab from the NFL. Longer injury reports and vanilla game plans. Yay.
Let's not forget, the awful uniforms

Last edited:

The Greek

Veteran
thanksgiving should be the only time games are played on thursday. if the league cares about the product than having both teams close to 100% by giving the players the extra 3 days to heal is what should matter. goodell preaches about player safety but he is a hypocrite by having thursday games.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean if they really want Thursday Night games the simple solution would be to add in 1 more bye week to the schedule (means more money for the league so I have no idea why they dont do it), and always have the one bye week before a Thursday Night game.