• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Cap Space 2018

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, with regards to next season I could see the Jaguars let Linder walk and let us pick him up(they have a ton of Fa's next offseason). Him or Weston Richburg would be my preferred choices. I could also see us drafting the dude from ND(the tackle, not Nelson) if he fell to us somehow(even though it's unlikely). Would not surprise me in the slightest if we took a RT round one.

I'd rather us just move Lewis to RT at this point and pick up Linder.

Stanley-Siragusa-Linder-Yanda-Lewis.

*trade whole draft to take SaQuon Barkley*.(sarcasm. I'd honestly want us to take Quinten Nelson to potentially be Yanda's replacement).

Boom. Done.
I don't see Ozzie drafting a RT in round one. He hasn't drafted an offensive lineman in round one other than LT and I doubt he drafts a RT in the first round unless we are picking 32 ^_^ and then I still doubt it.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I don't see Ozzie drafting a RT in round one. He hasn't drafted an offensive lineman in round one other than LT and I doubt he drafts a RT in the first round unless we are picking 32 ^_^ and then I still doubt it.

Don't forget Ben Grubbs though, even if it was just because they lost out on Joe Staley.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Don't forget Ben Grubbs though, even if it was just because they lost out on Joe Staley.
True, I forgot about grubbs and yes, we would have taken Staley.

I don't have an issue with taking a top rates guard or center in the first round, but a right tackle. No friggin way.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well, with regards to next season I could see the Jaguars let Linder walk and let us pick him up(they have a ton of Fa's next offseason). Him or Weston Richburg would be my preferred choices. I could also see us drafting the dude from ND(the tackle, not Nelson) if he fell to us somehow(even though it's unlikely). Would not surprise me in the slightest if we took a RT round one.

*trade whole draft to take SaQuon Barkley*.(sarcasm. I'd honestly want us to take Quinten Nelson to potentially be Yanda's replacement).

Boom. Done.
I'd be shocked if mcglinchey doesn't go top 10, that dude is special, just absolutely dominant in every way, hopefully we can teven think about drafting him. Quentin Nelson on position value alone should be very much in our reach, he's every bit as talented as mcglinchey but he's a guard so he will slip, he's the best guard I've studied since zack Martin, who I know was a LT in college but I always graded him as a guard.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
True, I forgot about grubbs and yes, we would have taken Staley.

I don't have an issue with taking a top rates guard or center in the first round, but a right tackle. No friggin way.
There's "taking a RT first round" and then there's taking mike mcglinchey to play RT. And let me tell you, he and Stanley is maybe the leagues best tackle tandem day one, and we establish a ground game simply by running on the edges(see: titans, who built their whole foundation on 2 elite tackles)

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not against taking an RT in the 1st round by any means, at least if it's a worthy prospect who pans out. Jack Conklin is the best recent example of a prospect no team would've minded taking and starting RT if they had a hole at the position. But beyond that, a more reflective point is that while the top DEs and OLBs shift between both sides nowadays, most of the best current edge players in the league either begun on the left side or presently spend most of their snaps there. The likes of Von Miller, J.J. Watt, Khalil Mack, and Justin Houston all fit the billing. The same goes for Cameron Jordan, Brandon Graham, Joey Bosa and Michael Bennett. Can RT currently be discounted as a position where you can pass up a top prospect solely because of the position itself? I feel that the decision is more complex than that. I understand the history, but with the league trending towards no longer keeping the best edge defenders confined to the right side, drafting an RT in the 1st may not have the same stigma as it had in the past.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Boom. Done.

i really like mike mcglinchey though even more than nelson lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
RT is an easy position to scheme around, a right handed qb can adjust to a bad play by the RT as he's dropping back, he can easily see a rush coming, he can easily release the ball early if he sees the rush coming, he can adjust the depth or angle of his drop, etc. everything is easier on the whole offense when the RT is weak as opposed to the LT.

However... your offense is gonna be far more consistent and efficient if your qb doesn't have to constantly adjust to a beaten and battered right side. Following the play as it was designed is always gonna be more effective.

Prepare for a lot of head scratchers from joe this year, as he anticipates the right side collapsing and he releases before the play can develop and it lands in no mans land, that's what a bad RT gets you, and it will happen often. Of course it's better than a unexpected strip sack from the left, but I'd rather joe be able to drop back, take the 1-2 count and release on time, than having to scramble and rush the throw constantly

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not against taking an RT in the 1st round by any means, at least if it's a worthy prospect who pans out. Jack Conklin is the best recent example of a prospect no team would've minded taking and starting RT if they had a hole at the position. But beyond that, a more reflective point is that while the top DEs and OLBs shift between both sides nowadays, most of the best current edge players in the league either begun on the left side or presently spend most of their snaps there. The likes of Von Miller, J.J. Watt, Khalil Mack, and Justin Houston all fit the billing. The same goes for Cameron Jordan, Brandon Graham, Joey Bosa and Michael Bennett. Can RT currently be discounted as a position where you can pass up a top prospect solely because of the position itself? I feel that the decision is more complex than that. I understand the history, but with the league trending towards no longer keeping the best edge defenders confined to the right side, drafting an RT in the 1st may not have the same stigma as it had in the past.
I understand that the top edge defenders shift between both sides now and was waiting to see how you would respond...Lol, That being said, that doesn't change the fact that a right handed qbs blind side is still on thr left side and why that side remains more important than the right side. Yes, there are players like a Conklin that are worth a first round pick, but I'd rather go another direction if there was a choice and pick a RT in the 2nd round or beyond.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont get why not?
When I'm talking about guards I'm talking about top rated guards like Martin. I would have loved to grab him and we almost ended up with him. A top center like Mack would have been great as well, but a right tackle is too easy to find in the lower rounds and as Joey just said, the right tackle is easy to scheme around.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I understand that the top edge defenders shift between both sides now and was waiting to see how you would respond...Lol, That being said, that doesn't change the fact that a right handed qbs blind side is still on thr left side and why that side remains more important than the right side. Yes, there are players like a Conklin that are worth a first round pick, but I'd rather go another direction if there was a choice and pick a RT in the 2nd round or beyond.
But we're not debating which position is more important. We're debating whether or not an RT is draftable in the 1st round. It's an outdated notion to automatically remove the position entirely from the draft board when most of the game-wreckers from last season saw more snaps on that side. The league is leaning more toward match ups. So you obviously need a solid LT in order to prevent them from continuously coming from the blindside. That, however, will persuade them to shift over to the opposite side. You can also mention the point of the rush coming to their open side, and it of course makes a general difference between the value of the LT and RT spots, no question. But again, that's a separate argument between which side is more valuable and not whether RT is valuable enough on its own, so it misses the point. More importantly, does the added vision prevent LEs and LOLBs from ruining offensive game-plans? Did the fact that Cam Newton saw Von Miller blowing past Mike Remmers in the SuperBowl prevent Miller almost single-handedly taking down the then-MVP? Using ourselves as an example, J.J. Watt's obliteration of James Hurst was in full view of Joe Flacco. Did that prevent Flacco from taking a mind-boggling 5 hits and 2 pressures in a single quarter of Hurst manning the RT position? Worth mentioning is the fact that it was filled with backside hits because the pressure came within the first few seconds and most of the first reads were on the left side of the field, so it's not always as simple as the right side always being the open side, especially when your RT is consistently losing off the snap. With that in mind, instead of focusing the debate on the unrelated binary answer of which side has more importance, where I feel like most would agree that it's LT, there's a different answer available entirely in both sides being important enough to warrant avoiding liabilities at either side. The former debate doesn't currently relate to the Ravens considering that we've already landed a quality LT. And the point about drafting in the round after relates to most positions and is largely dependent on he depths of each class so it's difficult to use generally. Given the trend of the league, I consider it to be unsubstantiated to preemptively outright eliminate the position from the board altogether in the first regardless of whom is available. It's at least worth consideration in my book.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I consider it to be unsubstantiated to preemptively outright eliminate the position from the board altogether in the first regardless of whom is available. It's at least worth consideration in my book.

I agree with your post and especially agree with this statement. I'll phrase it this way. I'd rather go after other positions if a player of equal or greater VALUE was on the board......depending on the depth of the class of course. I brought up finding players in later rounds because it many many cases very good right tackles can be found in later rounds, but again that does depend on the depth of that particular draft class.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
When I'm talking about guards I'm talking about top rated guards like Martin. I would have loved to grab him and we almost ended up with him. A top center like Mack would have been great as well, but a right tackle is too easy to find in the lower rounds and as Joey just said, the right tackle is easy to scheme around.
Just wanna reiterate here, they are the easiest position to scheme around, you can mask that weakness far more than a bad LT, but having sound protection on both edges is astronomically more efficient for your offense than having to hide from one side of the field.

I'd rather us work a strength than mask a weakness. As our roster currently stands, there is nothing that would improve this team more than an elite RT and C. If we need to address the former with a first round pick and we get an elite RT, then we are well on our way to getting back to the super bowl. Our OL and secondary have been destroying our chances since 2013 and the secondary looks vastly improved, fixing the OL makes us a complete team, and he OL also happens to be the most important part of any team after the qb

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree with your post and especially agree with this statement. I'll phrase it this way. I'd rather go after other positions if a player of equal or greater VALUE was on the board......depending on the depth of the class of course. I brought up finding players in later rounds because it many many cases very good right tackles can be found in later rounds, but again that does depend on the depth of that particular draft class.
That's more than fair.