• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article What to Watch for in training Camp

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Currently, we are in that awful stretch of the offseason where literally nothing happens. If we see a player’s name in the news, it means something terrible has happened, as in drugs or an injury. (Waller) Every article I could write right now would have to do with some optimism overrating our players and unrealistic predictions. Just honest. Regardless, training camp and preseason are right around the corner in just a few days. This is when things get real with the pads coming on. Here are my top 5 things to watch for.

1. Will Perriman take the next step?

This alone will decide whether we are an 8-8 club or a team as a serious playoff threat. During the second half of last year, he made some amazing plays. All 4 of his touch downs were incredible plays, in addition to the catch and run in Cincy. If he can be a big play maker (1000 yards 8+ TD’s), I like where we can go. He definitely has the potential with that speed and size and has shown us he can make a tough catch. His potential will be revealed in training camp based off what he can do against our prime secondary.

2. Offensive line(UP)
This situation horrifies me more than anything. Perriman will define our success. The line will define our failure. James Hurst at right tackle scares the daylight out of me. Imagine him against the Texans D-line and J.J Watt. Single handed, Hurst would hand us the loss. I find it interesting that Alex Lewis hasn’t been switched over to right tackle. He seems like he would be an amazing fit there but I guess the coaches don’t agree. I’d like to see a trade for a solid right tackle. We don’t need a allstar, just someone who won’t flood like a broken dam.

3. Running back competition
Now I am almost certain we will deploy a running back by comity, however, the pecking order still matters. For starters, we need to evaluate if West has grown at all as a player. That rookie Smoke from Virginia could surprise everyone and have a great camp and preseason and knock a player off the roster. I see Woodhead and Dixon as the only locks, and although West was valuable I don’t think he was anything better than extremely average and replaceable. I would love to see some player (Dixon, Smoke?) come up and grab a bulk of the carries. Definitely something to watch for.

4. Pass rusher lineup.
Now we all know we have tons of young and feisty pass rushers, my personal favorite change from old guys who got tired at the end of games often. Now we need to learn the lineups. Z-Smith, Matt Judon, Tyus Bowser, possibly Kamalei Correa, and Tim Williams will all fight for playing time across from Suggs. I hope we can find a great rotation of all of these guys to keep them fresh and nasty. If they all develop well, we could easily lead the league in sacks. If they bust, it might be frustrating getting picked apart.

5. Corner back starters.
Now it is certainly no secret Carr isn’t that good of a cb. He is decent and depth, but the tough of him starting in the playoffs against Brady or Ben... Hold me. He would be by far the weakest defense link. Reports from OTAs all talked of him as awful, and hopefully, he can step it up. Marlon, in my opinion, will be starting this season. The only question is when? It is important for him to develop fast if this defense wants to be at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
pretty sure west is safe because of the dixon suspension but i dont think that precludes a guy like smoke coming out of nowhere and grabbing a roster spot - maybe if he can be a returner that helps him - especially if campanaro doesnt recover or picks up another niggle

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
pretty sure west is safe because of the dixon suspension but i dont think that precludes a guy like smoke coming out of nowhere and grabbing a roster spot - maybe if he can be a returner that helps him - especially if campanaro doesnt recover or picks up another niggle
Are you talking about Mizzell? Also, what does "niggle" mean?

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
he's a decent 2nd corner historically - he's not a good number 1 corner
Historically, but he is also pretty old, didn't record an interception all year, and a decent second on Dallas. I think he has no place being here unless someone gets hurt I did not like adding him at all. Also, I don't think a running back has ever been safe on this team. Running backs are overrated unless they are very good and I think West is probably around 20th or worst in the league. If a rookie shows even a bit of promise, I think he will overtake West easy. Buck Allen had a much more efficient season then West did the season before and did you see him at all this year?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Historically, but he is also pretty old, didn't record an interception all year, and a decent second on Dallas. I think he has no place being here unless someone gets hurt I did not like adding him at all. Also, I don't think a running back has ever been safe on this team. Running backs are overrated unless they are very good and I think West is probably around 20th or worst in the league. If a rookie shows even a bit of promise, I think he will overtake West easy. Buck Allen had a much more efficient season then West did the season before and did you see him at all this year?

but there's no one on the roster other than lorenzo taliafero who is likely to be able to do the role that west does for the first 4 weeks of the season - i think west is essentially benched and sees very few snaps after dixon comes back but in those first 4 weeks he'll be the starter

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
1. I always like to see my fellow UCF Knights do well, but I'm coming into this season with mild expectations regarding Perriman. If there's someone who NEEDS to take the next step (barring injuries), it's Maxx.
2. I believe the o-line will be the reason if we're mediocre or a playoff contender. Anytime I see you guys talking about the offensive line, I think of 2 seasons that contrast like day and night: 2013 and 2014.
3. Barring injuries, not even worried in the slightest about our RB corps.
4. I expect nothing from ZDS at this point, but of course I hope he turns the corner. Can never have enough pass-rushers.
5. I've talked with some Cowboys fans at some point and they all gave me the same answer: he's alright, but not spectacular per se. To me, does Canady take the next step?