• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rossi's Mock Draft 1.0

rossihunter2

Staff Member
N.B. There's a lot of content and text included here so if you just want to see who I selected scroll to the bottom of this post to see a summary of who the Ravens selected...

So I finally had time to run a mock. Especially this year it's been really hard to project so to make it easier on myself and to analyse I've not projected any trades. I ran the first 3 rounds pick by pick making the picks for every team using a combination of the consensus and my personal grades mixed in with where I think guys might be scheme fits too. I'm going to show all the 1st round picks up to the 28th pick but beyond that I'm just going to show the Ravens picks because otherwise the formatting is all weird and I want to focus on the Ravens prospects. All the picks in the first 3 rounds were made using BPA based on my personal grades and based off what players were left I made picks that felt like they might be Ravens-type picks after that at spots where it would be potentially reasonable for these players to be around (so it's perfectly possible that I'm underestimating what sort of talent might be available at various picks but I don't want to be wildly unrealistic).

Without further ado...

1. Cincinnatti Bengals: Joe Burrow, QB
  2. Washington Redskins: Chase Young, EDGE
  3. Detroit Lions: Jeff Okudah, CB
  4. New York Giants Jedrick Wills, OT
  5. Miami Dolphins: Justin Herbert, QB
  6. LA Chargers: Tua Tagovailoa, QB
  7. Carolina Panthers: Isaiah Simmons, LB/S/DEF
  8. Arizona Cardinals: Derrick Brown, DL
  9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Javon Kinlaw, DL
  10. Cleveland Browns: Mekhi Becton, OT
  11. New York Jets: Tristan Wirfs, OL
  12. LV Raiders: Jerry Jeudy, WR
  13. San Francisco 49ers: CeeDee Lamb, WR
  14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Andrew Thomas, OT
  15. Denver Broncos: Kenneth Murray, LB
  16. Atlanta Falcons: K'Lavon Chaisson, EDGE
  17. Dallas Cowboys: Xavier McKinney, S
  18. Miami Dolphins: Josh Jones, OT
  19. LV Raiders: Patrick Queen, LB
  20. Jacksonville Jaguars: Austin Jackson, OT
  21. Philadelphia Eagles: Henry Ruggs, WR
  22. Minnesota Vikings: CJ Henderson, CB
  23. New England Patriots: Jordan Love, QB
  24. New Orleans Saints: Justin Jefferson, WR
  25. Minnesota Vikings: Denzel Mims, WR
  26. Miami Dolphins: Grant Delpit, S
  27. Seattle Seahawks: AJ Epenesa, EDGE
Which leads us to the 28th pick and the Ravens. Will not be a popular pick necessarily but was clearly highest on my board (with Marlon Davidson stacked just behind him) - but this is one of my favourite players in the entire draft...

With the 28th pick, the Ravens select...

JUSTIN MADUBUIKE, DL, Texas A&M

and here's why:

Madubuike projects tremendously well as a 3tech in the Ravens defence in base but with the ability to move all over the DL (even played some snaps at 5tech and on the EDGE in college albeit that's not where he'll play in the NFL)

When I watch Madubuike, I see violent hands, great lateral quickness and POP! He's really powerful...

In this clip (Madubuike has his hand in the ground next to the EDGE in a 2-point stance at the top): watch the head and entire body of the OL snap back with force straight away
giphy.gif

So he's a forceful player. But how forceful?

giphy.gif

Watch him use a vicious push-pull move that sends the OL to his knees and then plough through the back on his way to the QB.

In that rep he's marrying outright power with great hand usage.

Madubuike isn't all about power rushes though. For a defensive tackle prospect he's got pretty great short-area quickness which he can use in tandem with his hands:

here (lined up over the center)
giphy.gif

(and the reverse angle)
giphy.gif

There are dominant reps all over his film - here's some more examples:
giphy.gif

in this one, watch him fend off the Guard with one hand (like he's doing a quick speed-to-power to get the guard off balance) and then split the double team on his way to forcing a strip sack

giphy.gif

in this one, lined up at 0t, he head fakes one way and then crosses the Center's face and swims over for a quick presure

So far this is mainly pass reps. So what about the running game?

Watch him completely control the OG on this snap against Clemson and reset the LoS, find the football, disengage and make the tackle for a TFL:

Watch the guard try and leverage him inside, he stays firm in his gap, holds up at the LoS, violently sheds and finds the football and makes the tackle
giphy.gif

This rep speaks for itself:
giphy.gif

I'll finish the Madubuike snippets with this one - I like to watch good on good wherever I can so here is a rep of pass rush against Lloyd Cushenberry (one of the best IOL in this draft class):

He puts Cushenberry on skates initially - but Cushenberry recovers well enough to slow him down - you'd like to see Madubuike disengage a little quicker but this is a pretty dominant rep.
giphy.gif

Madubuike is borderline unblockable 1v1.

On to the rest of the draft...

With the 55th pick, the ravens select...

ROBERT HUNT, OL, Louisiana-Lafayette

Small-school OT who projects inside. In a weaker IOL class he stands out. Has great play-strength, is powerful at the point of attack, shows good mental processing and is really aggressive - has shown a good ability to pull from his usual spot of RT all the way across the offensive line which projects well with the way we use our guards to pull (more often LG). Obviously not a perfect prospect or he wouldn't be available in the 2nd round. He's not the cleanest blocker, struggles sometimes to make reach blocks and didn't have a high level of competition at his smaller school. That being said there's a lot to love and some of his problems with his pass sets are alleviated by a move inside to guard. He's a prospect I really like.

With the 60th pick, the ravens select...

BRYAN EDWARDS, WR, South Carolina

Bryan Edwards might be a surprising pick here but he's probably the most underrated WR in the draft class - oft-forgotten because he was stuck with an awful QB on a team that never seemed to want to pass.

And in terms of being a fit here, he definitely fits in. A guy who apparently has to be told not to practice so hard and has a massive chip on his shoulder. Would be a great complement to the receivers we already have in the building too.

Moving onto the 3rd round...

With the 92nd pick, the ravens select...

JABARI ZUNIGA, EDGE, FLORIDA

for how Jabari Zuniga might fit on the Ravens, I point to this brilliant video by our own @Edgar who has been doing great work on his channel with a load of interesting potential prospects:

But Zuniga is an athletic freak who's got surprising bend, some great burst and powerful hands. He's by all accounts an unfinished prospect but he does enough already that he can make an early impact while he develops. Is similar to Zadarius Smith in many ways - frustratingly this includes spending too much time on the ground....

With the 106th pick, the ravens select...

SAAHDIQ CHARLES, OL, LSU

And the first ever LSU player to be drafted by the Ravens. He's a risk - has maturity issues that led to a suspension for undisclosed reasons and has inconsistent play throughout his tape. But he flashes insane highs. Without those issues he's a top 50 type talent but in a draft full of question marks he falls to the end of the 3rd round.

On with the show and onto the 4th Round:

With the 129th pick, the ravens select...

LYNN BOWDEN JR, WR, KENTUCKY

And one of the most dynamic players in the draft. He's an offensive weapon first, WR second but not because he's not a good WR, more that his development has been stunted by having to change position mid-season to QB and run a Wildcat Army-Navy-esque offence for the rest of the year... and he thrived. Bowden is a threat to score from anywhere on the field with the ball in his hands. He's shown off high-end receiver traits but they're underdeveloped right now because of a lost year of development but he was partly earmarked as the best candidate to play QB because of his football intelligence and ability to read defences. He's not someone who will be a pure receiver for us, at least early, but will make an immediate impact with handoffs, some work as a receiver and also is a candidate as a returner. Has some drops on his WR tape but also shows off elite ball tracking traits too in fits and starts. It would seem a shame to ever take the ball out of Lamar Jackson's hands but Bowden is another tool to add to this offence.

With the 143rd pick, the ravens select...

K'VON WALLACE, DB, CLEMSON

A ball of energy at DB - really versatile player who blew up the combine but even before that looked like a dynamic chess-piece type player to add to our secondary. Would be a great addition to our sub-packages and will earn a living on special teams too. Has the ability to man-cover slot receivers although his hips are a bit tight but he's also an exceptionally smart player who thrives in zone when reading pressure from blitzes and jumping routes from those reads. Might not be a starter for the ravens who are set in the secondary but will be someone who adds depth, quality special teams and potential as a DB to come on the field in the dime especially with Deshon Elliott's 2nd season-ending injury.

Onto the 5th round and...

With the 170th pick, the ravens select...

CHRIS ORR, LB, WISCONSIN

There are probably a million reasons why Chris Orr should not be the pick here but I can't look past him. How he didn't get a combine invite is an insult. He is by far the best blitzer in the draft class and there's a reason he ended up with 11.5 sacks in 2019 from ILB. He can get swallowed up by tackles if they get their hands on him but he fills and shed well and he's violent and aggressive coming downhill.

it also helps that Zach Orr (his older brother) is still in the Ravens organisation.

Finally the picks start to slow and we wait until the 7th round

With the 225th pick, the ravens select...

SHYHEIM CARTER, S, ALABAMA

Played as a LB/S hybrid at Alabama, doesn't project to be a starter in the NFL but does look like the kind of prospect who will earn a living on special teams. Priority free agent type who might get drafted purely for special teams value.

And with that, my Mock Draft is complete.

To Summarise:

28: Justin Madubuike

55: Robert Hunt

60: Bryan Edwards

92: Jabari Zuniga

106: Saahdiq Charles

129: Lynn Bowden

143: K’Von Wallace

170: Chris Orr

225: Shyheim Carter

Comments, criticisms, discussion etc. all very welcome

EDIT: some of the gifs didnt work first time-around and had to adjust for only being allowed 5 separate bits of "media" in one post lol

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Annoyingly it won't let me post all the tweet threads i wanted to so will add various stuff for each prospect in subsequent posts starting with:

BRYAN EDWARDS, WR, South Carolina

Here are a couple of tweet threads about why and how Bryan Edwards is so good and how he projects to the NFL.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
LYNN BOWDEN JR, WR, KENTUCKY

This is obviously a highlights reel - but this is the variety of ways he can make plays for your team:

and if you're really at a loss for what to do in this lockdown then put on this tape against Virginia Tech in his bowl game and watch him run for 233 yards on 34 attempts...

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Awesome job and great detail as always Rossi.

This is an unusual mock. I really like the two Olinemen. The idea of stealing a swing tackle type in round 3 is one I hadn't thought of but I like it. How might he fit inside if needed? I would miss missing out on Ruiz in 1 but in theory we have 3 guys that can or should be able to hold up at center on the roster I suppose (Skura, Bozeman,Mekari).

Where do you see us at ILB after this draft?

I m leaning Marlon Davidson over Madubuike in the first if it falls this way. I see Marlon as a better fit (so far as I'm just learning Madubuike) and as more versatile. He seems like a natural edge setting 5T that can rush from a bunch of spots. Madubuike is an animal to be sure.

I like Bryan Edwards a good bit. physical and instinctive with the ball In his hands...great quick game. I would love the pairing of Edwards and Duvarney if he were available but Bowdens intriguing as a play maker and in his versatility. It just struck me that you got a bunch of tough hard nosed edgey physical and nasty guys!! Bowden, Edwards, Madubuike, and Hunt.

I agree about Zuniga a definite Z vibe bit I think he pays off earlier and ultimately can bring it off the edge . Id like us to bring McPhee back to work with Zuniga and just let guys like Madubuike feed off of him.

your description of Wallace is interesting but I admit to not having watched him yet.

probably early for Orr but we don't have a 6....so. He's funny as a prospect. slow but very good instincts in zone...surprised me how good he is a blitzing LB. I agree, he might be the best in the class in this area. I am just surprised he isn't better against the run. It looks almost as if he's learning take ons at Wisconsin. Maybe he was used to another way and that isn't the way they want him taking on blocks at Wisconsin.

Thanks as always for the mention. always means a lot and I appreciate it. nice work!

I gotta start working on a mock .
so does @JoeyFlex5
@RavensMania

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

This is an unusual mock. I really like the two Olinemen. The idea of stealing a swing tackle type in round 3 is one I hadn't thought of but I like it. How might he fit inside if needed? I would miss missing out on Ruiz in 1 but in theory we have 3 guys that can or should be able to hold up at center on the roster I suppose (Skura, Bozeman,Mekari).

I m leaning Marlon Davidson over Madubuike in the first if it falls this way. I see Marlon as a better fit (so far as I'm just learning Madubuike) and as more versatile. He seems like a natural edge setting 5T that can rush from a bunch of spots. Madubuike is an animal to be sure.

I like Bryan Edwards a good bit. physical and instinctive with the ball In his hands...great quick game. I would love the pairing of Edwards and Duvarney if he were available but Bowdens intriguing as a play maker and in his versatility. It just struck me that you got a bunch of tough hard nosed edgey physical and nasty guys!! Bowden, Edwards, Madubuike, and Hunt.

I agree about Zuniga a definite Z vibe bit I think he pays off earlier and ultimately can bring it off the edge . Id like us to bring McPhee back to work with Zuniga and just let guys like Madubuike feed off of him.

your description of Wallace is interesting but I admit to not having watched him yet.

probably early for Orr but we don't have a 6....so. He's funny as a prospect. slow but very good instincts in zone...surprised me how good he is a blitzing LB. I agree, he might be the best in the class in this area. I am just surprised he isn't better against the run. It looks almost as if he's learning take ons at Wisconsin. Maybe he was used to another way and that isn't the way they want him taking on blocks at Wisconsin.

Thanks as always for the mention. always means a lot and I appreciate it. nice work!

so does @JoeyFlex5
@RavensMania
I’m not making another one. I don’t see the point anymore when mock generators are so common lol. And the last one I did had me pissed off and I couldn’t decide on picks

rossihunter2

Staff Member

so does @JoeyFlex5
@RavensMania

For me the value of Charles falling where he did was too good - I think he projects inside for us but can offer us value as a swing tackle (as does hunt tbf)

At ILB in all reality I was going to take one in the 5th but didn’t know who to take - with the way my board is stacked it feels like LB won’t ever really be close to BPA when we pick - someone’s like Logan Wilson I think would be a great complementary piece

I was thinking about LSU’s Jacob Phillips but in the end went with Orr

You may be right about Davidson - I’ve got them stacked right on top of each other on my board at 15 and 16 so I think that’s certainly fair enough - obviously madubuike’s my guy so I went for him but also with the non-signing of Brockers we’re missing someone who’s violent at that 3t moving into the future - derek Wolfe is nice but not a long-term option

Davidson is more of a projection to me - he’s never played at the weight he’s going to be playing at in the NFL - I think he manages it but I’m relying on the senior bowl to tell me that which feels like marginally more of a risk

Would be happy with either

I was pleased with the first 5 picks - nasty, physical guys who finish which is obviously something the ravens covet

I defer to you on Zuniga but I think you forget how many sacks ZDS had as a rookie lol - obviously there’s more to an impact than just sacks but if Zuniga can have a more immediate impact than Z then I’m all in

Duvernay is a guy I like but I find Bowden’s potential in this explosive offence we’ve been building pretty intriguing - I watch him and think “weapon”

K’von Wallace is a nice prospect who might go a little earlier - think he’s a nice fit here

Batcerb

Practice Squad
Good work Rossi!

I was thinking of doing one (1/10th detail), you got 4 of my guys - Hunt, Edwards, Bowden and Orr.

like Edgar, I’m leaning to Davidson in the first

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good work Rossi!

I was thinking of doing one (1/10th detail), you got 4 of my guys - Hunt, Edwards, Bowden and Orr.

like Edgar, I’m leaning to Davidson in the first

And I think that’s perfectly legitimate and he would also be a great addition - as I said above he and madubuike are stacked on top of each other on my board - would be pleased to add either of them

I think a top 18 player on my board (or more than one) is going to be available when we pick

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm a big fan of Edwards and if we can grab him I'd be thrilled. To me he is a day two receiver with huge potential.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's a couple of threads on chris orr from one of his biggest proponents (also incidentally a ravens fan) - feels like he's a bit overly bullish on some of chris orr's flaws but here's someone who really likes him:

hes pretty great blitzing the quarterback. I think he's a 1 year starter so there is room to grow but pretty bad taking on blocks and not confident breaking down in space and tends to get juked a lot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
hes pretty great blitzing the quarterback. I think he's a 1 year starter so there is room to grow but pretty bad taking on blocks and not confident breaking down in space and tends to get juked a lot.

i dont disagree with you at all - i just really like the idea of having Chris Orr on the Ravens for the whole family connection - then add the bonus that he's a great blitzer who had an outrageous sack total and im ok with throwing a late rounder on him in this mock lol

in reality i think he goes UDFA and probably decides to come here anyway because his brother's in the building and because we likely have an open competition going at ILB

im not really enamoured with many of the late round ILBs this year i must say - i dont want us to reach for one higher in the draft either - im almost expecting us to still have a hole at the position post-draft

and im ok with that tbh

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont disagree with you at all - i just really like the idea of having Chris Orr on the Ravens for the whole family connection - then add the bonus that he's a great blitzer who had an outrageous sack total and im ok with throwing a late rounder on him in this mock lol

in reality i think he goes UDFA and probably decides to come here anyway because his brother's in the building and because we likely have an open competition going at ILB

im not really enamoured with many of the late round ILBs this year i must say - i dont want us to reach for one higher in the draft either - im almost expecting us to still have a hole at the position post-draft

and im ok with that tbh
I like him and I like the connection.Definite upside to boot. seems like the thing I would expect him to struggle with...he's good at and the thing his frame/athleticism suggest he'd probably be good at...needs work