• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rossi's Final Mock Draft

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This one will involve a lot less material than the last so there should be a lot less reading involved...

For this one, I mocked every single pick in the first 2 rounds (including some trades - 1 of which included the Ravens... What A Tease!) and then made some of the picks that stuck out to me as obvious in the 3rd and used that to inform who would be available when the Ravens picked.

I picked the Ravens mostly off my board but with some influence from where players are currently valued.

As it stands, with the way I've been mocking the 2nd round looks like a really tough round for the Ravens - that being said I keep forgetting to tab RBs, QBs and Safeties to teams of whom there are a fair few I expect to go in that range which will push guys down the board to the Ravens - I fully expect us to have some really nice options in round 2.

Without Further Ado...

WITH THE 28th PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

AJ EPENESA, EDGE, IOWA

For combine reasons he seems to have become an unpopular pick in media circles but Brian Billick most recently put him on the Ravens and he would be the kind of falling prospect who would make a ton of sense - the kind of guy who you look back on like Terrell Suggs back in 2005 but also more recently someone like Orlando Brown Jr and think "how did that guy fall all the way down there". The Ravens will have a level of comfort that other teams might not with Epenesa because of the relationship with Kirk Ferentz (why New England might be a threat to take AJ Epenesa at 23 - but they don't in this mock - they went Xavier McKinney in stead who fell to 23).

The idea of having Calais Campbell, Matt Judon and AJ Epenesa on the field at once in sub-packages is a beautiful thought.

TRADE!!!!!

The Ravens trade up to the 50th pick from 55 in the 2nd round - the Bears only have 2 picks in the first 2 days of the draft and are happy to trade down and pick up an extra 4th round pick. The Ravens give up pick 129 in the 4th round to move up those 5 spots. They get the Bears out of that spot and most importantly get up ahead of the Dallas Cowboys at 51 because...

WITH THE 50th PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

LLOYD CUSHENBERRY III, C, LSU

Lloyd Cushenberry's fall is ended by the Ravens trading up to get him and get ahead of the potentially Center-needy Cowboys and potentially IOL-needy Bears. This is the first LSU player the Ravens have ever taken in draft history.

High football intelligence mixed with some crazy length and a pedigree playing against (and succeeding against) some of the best DL prospects in the class - he held his own against Derrick Brown, Justin Madubuike, Neville Gallimore among others and it bodes well moving into the pros. LSU's scheme left Cush in 1v1 situations more than he'll probably ever experience in the NFL and he was consistently successful - really difficult to bull rush with a solid anchor to get himself out of trouble and those long arms to control the Defensive Lineman opposite him. Hand technique and positioning needs some work and occasionally can get caught leaning but this would be an absolute steal. EDC gets aggressive and moves up to get a stalwart C to help solidify the interior of this OL.

WITH THE 60th PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

ROBERT HUNT, OL, LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE

What? 2 IOL in the space of 10 picks. Robert Hunt was clearly BPA here and the Ravens really don't mind doubling down on the trenches with Yanda's retirement and the uncertainty of Skura's injury. Hunt also has the benefit of position flexibility offering cover at 4 spots albeit he projects best inside at Guard. Has a little Kelechi Osemele in his play. Level of competition is the biggest evaluative issue for him.

It's certainly possible he goes higher than this - the tape would suggest he maybe should do but he's not been able to do any of the private workouts he would have been expected to go on. He's a bit raw as you'd expect when you can dominate the way he has but he does what you want when playing lower level of competition and that is destroy your opposition. What he did to Georgia Southern's front 7 could be considered a crime.

WITH THE 92nd PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

BRYAN EDWARDS, WR, SOUTH CAROLINA

And we get to one of my most 'Play Like a Raven' type picks. He's a bit raw in terms of his route running and he didn't have the diverse route tree that he could have had in college which obviously creates some questions - as does the broken foot which stopped him from running at the combine. But by all accounts this guy will out-work you, out-physical you and out-aggressive you which are ultimately 3 qualities that bode well for him - as does his high football intelligence. His breakout age (an interesting but fairly new stat that analytics guys like) is absurd - it rates in the 100th percentile ever. This guy was breaking out in the SEC when he wasn't even 18 yet.

WITH THE 106th PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

MCTELVIN AGIM, DL, ARKANSAS

And maybe the first surprise of this mock. High ceiling player who's like a bull in a china shop. I think there was some signalling that we are interested in some different kinds and styles of DL than we have been in the past. This guy's ceiling is pro bowl type play. He moved from DE to DT this year which makes him really only a 1 year projection. But he has great athleticism at 309 lbs which allows him to create carnage. His technique is raw but when he wins the hand battle he's going to dominate. He's a work in progress as a 2-gapper but I have a feeling we're not as rigid about 2-gapping moving forwards as we have been and Agim projects to have an impact early in his career if he can continue to improve his processing. If it clicks, he will make a career out of living in the backfield.

Jeff Zrebiec projected us to grab Raekwon Davis here - that would be a great pick too but I just struggle to believe that Davis would make it this far into the draft - honestly not sure he'd make it to 92 let alone 106. Especially with all the uncertainty around this draft etc. - him playing at Bama and being a known and understood commodity will be a boon to his draft stock and I think he's gone by this point. If he's still around, I think he may well be the selection.

WITH THE 143rd PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

JUSTIN STRNAD, WAKE FOREST, LB

Strnad has the range and athleticism that you want at the LB position - what DJ said on his recent conference call about not being able to hide bad athletes at ILB anymore no matter how smart they are really made me think. I'm still not sure with the way the Ravens dictate on defence it's as big as an issue as it would be for the rest of the league but it had a major impact on this mock. Strnad is rangy, athletic but a bit slim - he's built like a safety in many ways. It's a good sign that he was trusted as the guy lining up the defence and making calls and you can see him getting guys lined up on tape and making reads and adjustments which even with Chuck Clark wearing the green dot, he'd have to be able to adjust and communicate and understand the whole defence in the same way. Good sign. He had an injury to end the year which obviously is a negative but his biggest issue outside of that is his ability to work through contact and traffic when coming down hill - playing in a 3-4 behind a guy like Brandon Williams who will help keep him cleaner will help but it's clearly his biggest issue.

But he's athletically gifted, plays with high effort, decent reads, shows nice movement in coverage. Getting off blocks is his biggest thing to work on in the NFL. This will make many on here cringe but this comp just spoke to me lol - Kenny Young feels like a decent comp for him.

nice thread on Strnad from Michael Crawford here:

Moving on...

WITH THE 170th PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

DARNELL MOONEY, WR, TULANE

Super-underrated prospect here. He's smaller but has electric quickness and really nice releases which is where someone of his stature would normally come undone. Adds more quickness to this team and has a way onto the roster beyond just playing WR because he has nice return skills too. He's not going to be a high volume receiver but has the game-breaking speed to stress defences and the quick feet to stress press corners. Has versatility to line up outside and in the slot. Wins with quickness right now and doesn't run particularly nuanced routes but ultimately you're always getting flaws when you're picking a WR in the 5th round.

I would be really excited if we brought Mooney into the building.

and finally...

WITH THE 225th PICK IN THE 2020 NFL DRAFT, THE RAVENS SELECT...

JAVARIS DAVIS, CB, AUBURN

Not sure if Davis makes it this far, or alternatively if he gets picked at all. I don't really have a good gauge on where he'll end up going or what the 7th round of the draft will even look like this year. Has crazy change of direction and really great timed long speed. Was one of the few CBs who didn't embarrass themselves at the Senior Bowl. Gets beaten a lot on film but also has amazing recovery speed to get away with it. I think he might go in the 5th but then again Mooney might go in the 7th... who knows?

SUMMARY:

28: AJ Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
50 (after trading 129): Lloyd Cushenberry III, C, LSU
60: Robert Hunt, OL, Lousiana-Lafayette
92: Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina
106: McTelvin Agim, DL, Arkansas
143: Justin Strnad, LB, Wake Forest
170: Darnell Mooney, WR, Tulane
225: Javaris Davis, CB, Auburn

Criticism and Discussion are very much encouraged...

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
You don't think much of taking a LB earlyish do you?;)

Sign me up for this draft generally. I hate the idea of this team ever being pushed around by anyone ever again. so this sort of meat and potatoes trench draft really appeals to me. Don't know Strand.
Javaris Davis will light guys up!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Sign me up for this draft generally. I hate the idea of this team ever being pushed around by anyone ever again. so this sort of meat and potatoes trench draft really appeals to me. Don't know Strand.
I really like the idea of draftinng 2 olinemen with our first 3 picks.. idk why but i just do.. i like strnad too. I think he ran a 4.7 at comebine but looks faster on the field. Havent watched any of edwards yet but do you think van jefferson could possibly there at that pick?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really like the idea of draftinng 2 olinemen with our first 3 picks.. idk why but i just do.. i like strnad too. I think he ran a 4.7 at comebine but looks faster on the field. Havent watched any of edwards yet but do you think van jefferson could possibly there at that pick?
Yes. I think Van will likely be there. I wouldn't mind that

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I just look at our defence and look at a 3 down linebacker as a luxury so if they’re not the best player then I’m not taking them honestly because it doesn’t feel like value - if someone’s clearly BPA then fine but I’m not finding that to be the case when we pick

I’m really into the idea of doubling up at OL in the first 3 rounds

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Me too - obviously you won’t necessarily nail both picks but if you do then you’ve got a crazy OL locked in moving forwards

Strnad has on-field speed - not worried about combine numbers either way with him

I think van Jefferson could definitely be there - was considering him there too

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
Love the first three picks, but I’d love to finagle a way to get one of the bigger time wideouts, ie. Epenesa, Cushenberry, Higgins (almost certainly wouldn’t and shouldn’t make it to the second round, but the draft is weird). Don’t know enough about the later players to make educated comments