• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Lost In Translation's Mock 2.0

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
2018 NFL Mock Draft Version Two

Yup, I’m doing this. Too frequent? Sure. But I don’t care. I need to put content out for all of you wonderful Ravens fans!

So Lets’ get this started. Some things will be the same, some will be different here we go.

Mock Offseason

Resign:

· Ryan Jensen- He’s proven to be a solid center at this point and should not be too expensive. I think it’ll be a good idea to retain him to have a solid interior overall.

· James Hurst- I may hate him, but he’s solid depth at worst. I think he could be an ideal fit for the swing tackle spot.

· Benjamin Watson- Ultimately, I feel as if he will be dirt cheap. He’s very reliable over the middle and provides a threat. Here’s to hoping he does not retire.

· Luke Bowanko- At this point I will take whatever interior depth we have. He’s started before and is still a good age. I’d like to keep him around

Notable Cuts:

· Brandon Carr- We option out, save a bit of money. (3.5 million)

· Austin Howard- See above. Though I do think he could return on a cheaper deal if possible, but he’s set to be paid a decent amount of money. (3 million)

· Albert McClellan. We’d save roughly $1 million of cap, which we’d be desperate for. ($1 million)

Pay cut/Restructure Candidates

· Joe Flacco- Given that he is aware that he is faulty, and his salary is going to be even higher than it was the last time. I feel like he’d be willing to do a restructure/pay cut. He knows that he has been awful, and I think he might want to prove himself again. The fact that he’s aware of his faults and is going to have another outrageous salary makes him a candidate.

· Jimmy Smith- He’s been very good. But not $15 million a year good. He’s already taken a paycut each of the last two seasons, but even if he shaved off $5 million off of his salary, he would have a good sized raise from the previous two seasons. This seems to be the most likely.

· Eric Weddle- I think he could take a paycut as he clearly is in for the best interest of the team. This is the second most likely of the bunch and I would not be surprised if this happens sooner.

· CJ Mosley- Also seems likely he receives a backloaded extension. He’s the quarterback of the front 7 and very few in the NFL are as good at what he does as he is.

Point is: if we’re smart about it we could open up a sizeable amount of cap room. There are ways to do it that I think we’re gonna take.

Free Agency

Andrew Norwell- Remember how I said that some things were not gonna change? I think this is going to happen. The offensive line is obviously a massive concern. Adding Norwell to the interior would be a massive upgrade from both Lewis and Hurst. Norwell-Jensen-Yanda becomes one of the best interiors in the league. This move also helps out Ronnie Stanley and gives us three upper tier offensive linemen, along with 4 good offensive linemen. The line is instantly upgraded and I can collectively hold my breath. We didn’t have a ton of cap room this offseason, but still pulled off an expensive contract for Tony Jefferson. I think this is more than doable, and needed. Thank god Ozzie has changed his draft strategy in recent seasons.

Jeremy Kerley- You know how we complain about having receivers that are not open as often as we’d like them to be? Want our punt return game to be good again? Let’s look at one of the most underappreciated players in the NFL. Sure, he’s more of a #3 WR if anything, but he’s reliable, a solid route runner, decent after the catch, and he can get open. On two horrible teams, he’s put up solid numbers, and likely would not be an expensive option. Flashy? Nope. An under the radar move that Ozzie excels at? Yes. He isn’t a #1, but that’s okay. Maclin is. With Wallace gone, we could use another guy like this. In an oversaturated market, Kerley could be a really cheap option at WR that goes a long way for us.

Donte Moncrief- Another WR? Well Moncrief actually shouldn’t be too expensive and I don’t see him staying with the Colts. But he’s been a solid #2 WR at the NFL level who has a knack for scoring TDs. A guy we could really use with Joe or not. Given that the WR market next offseason is oversaturated, I could easily see us picking more than one option.

Paul Posluzny- Jacksonville has minimal cap space next offseason thanks to paying a fortune this offseason. They have a few key free agents in Allen Robinson, Telvin Smith, and Aaron Colvin. Well, out with the old, in with the new. And this to our benefit. CJ Mosley needs a partner, and Correa and Peanut do not look up to the part. If we play our cards right, we could get Posluzny for a reasonable contract. He’s had a career resurgence the past few seasons, but could warrant a good contract given his age. He and CJ would make a good tandem, as Posluzny has been upper tier LB the past two seasons in both facets of the game and we could benefit from having another sound tackler next to Mosley who can shed blocks.

Draft Day
So I have us picking in the top ten, but towards the middle to bottom of the top ten. Just to appease the doom and gloom narrative. Nonetheless, it is still very early and anything can change. But here we go.

Round One: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
image-pv_web.jpg

How is this for an offensive line upgrade? Yeah. I like this too. Williams is the ideal Left Tackle Prospect, but since we have Ronnie Stanley we’ll just casually put him on the right side. No big deal. A line of Stanley-Norwell-Jensen-Williams suddenly becomes one of the best units in the game. Elite interior, and good bookends. As a pass protector, Williams can take just about anything you throw at him. Sound footwork and technically sound. He’s as good of a prospect as Stanley in this regard. But was better than Stanley coming out of school as a run blocker, which Stanley was good at. Either way, I think he’s a future all pro. Sexy? Not at all. Best player available? Yup.

Round Two: Luke Falk, QB, Washington State

37273ae0-9fbe-11e5-a6ad-3268c896acd2-780x494.jpg

Truth be told, I was strongly considering drafting James Washington from OK-State here. But alas, Luke Falk would do. Here’s what I think of him. Sound mechanics? Check. Good arm? Check, he can make all the throws at the NFL level that you need to make. It’s not like a Jay Cutler arm in terms of strength, but more of a Andrew Luck arm. Accurate? Very. Mobile within the pocket? Yup. Perfect? He’s a second rounder so no. But he has all the traits of a potential future franchise QB. I like Falk for two reasons. His game is pretty good and he’s the ideal fit in the WCO. So I few needed to start him immediately, we could. However, he also needs some work. So if Flacco turns it around(which again, I think he will), we could let Falk develop behind him as we let the rest of Flacco’s contract plays out. This is the definition of a win-win pick for us in my opinion. Falk is tough, smart, and has all the other traits you’re looking for in someone who could be a franchise QB.

Round Three: Nick Chubb, RB, Georiga

usa_today_9706504.0.jpeg

I LIED!

Before any of you freak out with Chubb going in the third, with how deep this running back class is, someone is going to fall. Bad injury, lost explosiveness, high workload over the past four years, splitting carries with two other backs heavily. Yup. I think it’s Chubb. In a class this deep somebody really talented usually falls(see Andrew Billings 2016). Which is fine. Steal of the draft? Yup. No need to do a writeup.

I might make him my first scouting report article(coming soon?)

Round Four: Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA

750x422

Lordy, I feel bad for him. But I think he gets out when Rosen does. He is literally Rosen’s only option. And he’s going in the fourth round.. After a season ending injury. I’ve had my eye on Wilson. Good hands, and a good route runner, with good YAC ability. We could use some tight end depth that can, you know, get open and stay healthy. While he did just get hurt, I think he could turn into a solid at worst player in the red zone and a decent third down option.

Round Five: Ross Pierschbacher, OG/C, Alabama

Js27n_ge_400x400.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah.. Ozzie, Alabama. I understand that we have some good depth along the interior in my scenario, but I see him as another potential development guy for us. He’s a monstrous run blocker and has the skillset to develop into a good pass blocker if he is properly coached. I wouldn’t hate this pick.

Round Six: Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado

492201718.jpg

I had a class with this guy last year. He’s pretty chill. But besides being chill, I think drafting him is a highly logical move. You want your speedy change of pace back with good hands. Given that Woodhead is as reliable as my dating life health wise, I think getting an explosive, change of pace, receiving back is in order. Lindsay can also double function as a returner given his vision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Dammit it's awful how we've got the exact same vision of which position we should pick and where, and how every guy I like you like.

The Greek

Veteran
2018 NFL Mock Draft Version Two

Yup, I’m doing this. Too frequent? Sure. But I don’t care. I need to put content out for all of you wonderful Ravens fans!

So Lets’ get this started. Some things will be the same, some will be different here we go.

Mock Offseason

Resign:

· Ryan Jensen- He’s proven to be a solid center at this point and should not be too expensive. I think it’ll be a good idea to retain him to have a solid interior overall.

· James Hurst- I may hate him, but he’s solid depth at worst. I think he could be an ideal fit for the swing tackle spot.

· Benjamin Watson- Ultimately, I feel as if he will be dirt cheap. He’s very reliable over the middle and provides a threat. Here’s to hoping he does not retire.

· Luke Bowanko- At this point I will take whatever interior depth we have. He’s started before and is still a good age. I’d like to keep him around

Notable Cuts:

· Brandon Carr- We option out, save a bit of money. (3.5 million)

· Austin Howard- See above. Though I do think he could return on a cheaper deal if possible, but he’s set to be paid a decent amount of money. (3 million)

· Albert McClellan. We’d save roughly $1 million of cap, which we’d be desperate for. ($1 million)

Pay cut/Restructure Candidates

· Joe Flacco- Given that he is aware that he is faulty, and his salary is going to be even higher than it was the last time. I feel like he’d be willing to do a restructure/pay cut. He knows that he has been awful, and I think he might want to prove himself again. The fact that he’s aware of his faults and is going to have another outrageous salary makes him a candidate.

· Jimmy Smith- He’s been very good. But not $15 million a year good. He’s already taken a paycut each of the last two seasons, but even if he shaved off $5 million off of his salary, he would have a good sized raise from the previous two seasons. This seems to be the most likely.

· Eric Weddle- I think he could take a paycut as he clearly is in for the best interest of the team. This is the second most likely of the bunch and I would not be surprised if this happens sooner.

· CJ Mosley- Also seems likely he receives a backloaded extension. He’s the quarterback of the front 7 and very few in the NFL are as good at what he does as he is.

Point is: if we’re smart about it we could open up a sizeable amount of cap room. There are ways to do it that I think we’re gonna take.

Free Agency

Andrew Norwell- Remember how I said that some things were not gonna change? I think this is going to happen. The offensive line is obviously a massive concern. Adding Norwell to the interior would be a massive upgrade from both Lewis and Hurst. Norwell-Jensen-Yanda becomes one of the best interiors in the league. This move also helps out Ronnie Stanley and gives us three upper tier offensive linemen, along with 4 good offensive linemen. The line is instantly upgraded and I can collectively hold my breath. We didn’t have a ton of cap room this offseason, but still pulled off an expensive contract for Tony Jefferson. I think this is more than doable, and needed. Thank god Ozzie has changed his draft strategy in recent seasons.

Jeremy Kerley- You know how we complain about having receivers that are not open as often as we’d like them to be? Want our punt return game to be good again? Let’s look at one of the most underappreciated players in the NFL. Sure, he’s more of a #3 WR if anything, but he’s reliable, a solid route runner, decent after the catch, and he can get open. On two horrible teams, he’s put up solid numbers, and likely would not be an expensive option. Flashy? Nope. An under the radar move that Ozzie excels at? Yes. He isn’t a #1, but that’s okay. Maclin is. With Wallace gone, we could use another guy like this. In an oversaturated market, Kerley could be a really cheap option at WR that goes a long way for us.

Donte Moncrief- Another WR? Well Moncrief actually shouldn’t be too expensive and I don’t see him staying with the Colts. But he’s been a solid #2 WR at the NFL level who has a knack for scoring TDs. A guy we could really use with Joe or not. Given that the WR market next offseason is oversaturated, I could easily see us picking more than one option.

Paul Posluzny- Jacksonville has minimal cap space next offseason thanks to paying a fortune this offseason. They have a few key free agents in Allen Robinson, Telvin Smith, and Aaron Colvin. Well, out with the old, in with the new. And this to our benefit. CJ Mosley needs a partner, and Correa and Peanut do not look up to the part. If we play our cards right, we could get Posluzny for a reasonable contract. He’s had a career resurgence the past few seasons, but could warrant a good contract given his age. He and CJ would make a good tandem, as Posluzny has been upper tier LB the past two seasons in both facets of the game and we could benefit from having another sound tackler next to Mosley who can shed blocks.

Draft Day
So I have us picking in the top ten, but towards the middle to bottom of the top ten. Just to appease the doom and gloom narrative. Nonetheless, it is still very early and anything can change. But here we go.

Round One: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
image-pv_web.jpg

How is this for an offensive line upgrade? Yeah. I like this too. Williams is the ideal Left Tackle Prospect, but since we have Ronnie Stanley we’ll just casually put him on the right side. No big deal. A line of Stanley-Norwell-Jensen-Williams suddenly becomes one of the best units in the game. Elite interior, and good bookends. As a pass protector, Williams can take just about anything you throw at him. Sound footwork and technically sound. He’s as good of a prospect as Stanley in this regard. But was better than Stanley coming out of school as a run blocker, which Stanley was good at. Either way, I think he’s a future all pro. Sexy? Not at all. Best player available? Yup.

Round Two: Luke Falk, QB, Washington State

37273ae0-9fbe-11e5-a6ad-3268c896acd2-780x494.jpg

Truth be told, I was strongly considering drafting James Washington from OK-State here. But alas, Luke Falk would do. Here’s what I think of him. Sound mechanics? Check. Good arm? Check, he can make all the throws at the NFL level that you need to make. It’s not like a Jay Cutler arm in terms of strength, but more of a Andrew Luck arm. Accurate? Very. Mobile within the pocket? Yup. Perfect? He’s a second rounder so no. But he has all the traits of a potential future franchise QB. I like Falk for two reasons. His game is pretty good and he’s the ideal fit in the WCO. So I few needed to start him immediately, we could. However, he also needs some work. So if Flacco turns it around(which again, I think he will), we could let Falk develop behind him as we let the rest of Flacco’s contract plays out. This is the definition of a win-win pick for us in my opinion. Falk is tough, smart, and has all the other traits you’re looking for in someone who could be a franchise QB.

Round Three: Nick Chubb, RB, Georiga

usa_today_9706504.0.jpeg

I LIED!

Before any of you freak out with Chubb going in the third, with how deep this running back class is, someone is going to fall. Bad injury, lost explosiveness, high workload over the past four years, splitting carries with two other backs heavily. Yup. I think it’s Chubb. In a class this deep somebody really talented usually falls(see Andrew Billings 2016). Which is fine. Steal of the draft? Yup. No need to do a writeup.

I might make him my first scouting report article(coming soon?)

Round Four: Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA

750x422

Lordy, I feel bad for him. But I think he gets out when Rosen does. He is literally Rosen’s only option. And he’s going in the fourth round.. After a season ending injury. I’ve had my eye on Wilson. Good hands, and a good route runner, with good YAC ability. We could use some tight end depth that can, you know, get open and stay healthy. While he did just get hurt, I think he could turn into a solid at worst player in the red zone and a decent third down option.

Round Five: Ross Pierschbacher, OG/C, Alabama

Js27n_ge_400x400.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah.. Ozzie, Alabama. I understand that we have some good depth along the interior in my scenario, but I see him as another potential development guy for us. He’s a monstrous run blocker and has the skillset to develop into a good pass blocker if he is properly coached. I wouldn’t hate this pick.

Round Six: Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado

492201718.jpg

I had a class with this guy last year. He’s pretty chill. But besides being chill, I think drafting him is a highly logical move. You want your speedy change of pace back with good hands. Given that Woodhead is as reliable as my dating life health wise, I think getting an explosive, change of pace, receiving back is in order. Lindsay can also double function as a returner given his vision.
unfortunately i have to disagree with you on every pick because this is ozzie we are talking about and aside from drafting an o-lineman with the 4th or 5th rd. pick he will draft defense because he has become senile and no longer knows that there is a unit which exists named "offense" but i personally like some of your picks

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Bruh, @Lost_In_Translation , if I didn't see Nick Chubb in this mock, I was going to give this a 0/10 rating with the quickness. Had me worried for a brief moment, but I'm glad you came through.

I wouldn't rule out a QB in the first two rounds but I don't think we re-do Joe's deal, I think it's possible we stay put at $28M. After next season he becomes easier to move on from him in terms of the cap. I think the FO might have a little bit of regret in re-doing Joe's deal. I don't think they anticipated he would be playing this bad at all and by adding more years to his deal they lost a good amount of leverage against him. I think they might sit on his high cap number and just bear with it for 2018 so when 2019 arrives you can either trade him(Someone will take him) or cut him and soon enough in 2021 his cap number is off the books. Long term redoing his deal is going to continuously put us in a tougher situation.

I like this draft, personally my number one guy is Quinton Nelson from Notre Dame. He's one of the best guards I've seen enter the draft and I personally would rather have him then pay top dollar for Norwell. He's a great player but I heard he signed with Drew Rosenhaus, it's going to cost a lot to get him. I can easily see a scenario in which he gets KO/Zietler money.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

pretty sure he didnt take a pay cut he just had his contract restructured like 3 times
given the length left on his contract id say its almost inevitable that he's getting an extension - he's not taking a paycut and he probably wont restructure because that's just pushing money into the last 2 years of his contract again and again - but id be incredibly surprised if we dont give jimmy an extension that evens out the cap hits we currently owe - the other reason he aint taking a paycut is he could argue he's still a premier corner in this league so no way he takes less money...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ha, Chubb is a great name for a RB especially if he's a monster lol

Sooky

Pro Bowler
pretty sure he didnt take a pay cut he just had his contract restructured like 3 times
given the length left on his contract id say its almost inevitable that he's getting an extension - he's not taking a paycut and he probably wont restructure because that's just pushing money into the last 2 years of his contract again and again - but id be incredibly surprised if we dont give jimmy an extension that evens out the cap hits we currently owe - the other reason he aint taking a paycut is he could argue he's still a premier corner in this league so no way he takes less money...
Jimmy Smith is 1/2 of the defense. Most underappreciated corner in the NFL.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Smith is 1/2 of the defense. Most underappreciated corner in the NFL.
While he is underappreciatede he's set to make way too money next year even for a player as good as he is. Even the restructure allows him to take only 5 million off of his salary this year, he'd still be making more money than the previous two seasons salary wise. So I think a restructure is possible. That's why I titled it restructure/paycut candidates. So yes, I think this is inevitable.
I wouldn't rule out a QB in the first two rounds but I don't think we re-do Joe's deal, I think it's possible we stay put at $28M. After next season he becomes easier to move on from him in terms of the cap. I think the FO might have a little bit of regret in re-doing Joe's deal. I don't think they anticipated he would be playing this bad at all and by adding more years to his deal they lost a good amount of leverage against him. I think they might sit on his high cap number and just bear with it for 2018 so when 2019 arrives you can either trade him(Someone will take him) or cut him and soon enough in 2021 his cap number is off the books. Long term redoing his deal is going to continuously put us in a tougher situation.

I like this draft, personally my number one guy is Quinton Nelson from Notre Dame. He's one of the best guards I've seen enter the draft and I personally would rather have him then pay top dollar for Norwell. He's a great player but I heard he signed with Drew Rosenhaus, it's going to cost a lot to get him. I can easily see a scenario in which he gets KO/Zietler money.
Hence candidates. Even if we keep his cap number, there is still a way to open up some substantial cap room in order to have a good free agency, which is necessary if we want the team to turn around. And I think even with Rosenhaus, signing Norwell is doable. We still offered to make KO the highest paid guard in league history. Norwell is on KO's level as a player imo. So I think we can throw him a big paycheck. We need to.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like it. Solves a lot of issues. Im still trying to figure out Falk. What happened vs Boise st might be alarming considering the back up read the defense better.

What do you think of Mitch Hyatt???? K think hed be perfect for our RT spot if we cant get williams

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While he is underappreciatede he's set to make way too money next year even for a player as good as he is. Even the restructure allows him to take only 5 million off of his salary this year, he'd still be making more money than the previous two seasons salary wise. So I think a restructure is possible. That's why I titled it restructure/paycut candidates. So yes, I think this is inevitable.

i dont know if im missing something here but there's no way we restructure him because then his cap hit would be even larger in the last year of his contract than it already is and there's no way he takes a paycut

the only way i see us lowering his cap hits is through an extension that will even out the massive cap hits coming up over a longer term

Hence candidates. Even if we keep his cap number, there is still a way to open up some substantial cap room in order to have a good free agency, which is necessary if we want the team to turn around. And I think even with Rosenhaus, signing Norwell is doable. We still offered to make KO the highest paid guard in league history. Norwell is on KO's level as a player imo. So I think we can throw him a big paycheck. We need to.

Restructuring would just be delaying the inevitable, we're going to have to pay his guarantee money and the Ravens don't have the leverage to make him take a pay cut, I don't think they want to add more money. I know his cap hit is ridiculous next season but after that things cool down for him and the Ravens and I personally think that staying put will make it much easier to move on from him after next season.

We offered to make KO the highest paid guard with the thought in mind that he could swing to LT for us. I'm confident that if Stanley was taken ahead of 6, that KO would be playing LT if we had kept him. KO left the Ravens with the Raiders offering 3M more in salary and in addition more in guaranteed money, I'm sure the Ravens could've closed the gap and with California's high state income tax to make KO's offer more feasible to the point that he probably would've came back, but they knew that they had no chance to outbid the Raiders and I just see the same scenario unfolding with Norwell. I also have to just give KO his props, instead of taking the bait for the extension he waited for the FA period, thats very risky for a player who has an extensive injury history. I'll also add that The Ravens are also typically aggressive when it comes to their FAs, but how often are they when it comes to others? Our biggest splash signing of recent memory is Tony Jefferson and that's no where near what Norwell will get in FA. It's possible they take the bait on Norwell, but they will lose.

I'm honestly not a fan of paying him that much money to be honest. We have holes at WR, RB, ILB, and OLB. One hole that's not talked about in particular is our edge, I know it will frustrate the hell out of fans but I would rather have us throw money at a big time edge rusher than an LG. One thing that's holding our defense back is not having a full time pass rusher who can rush the passer and seal the edge. I don't think the lack of a guard has held our entire offense back, but I think the lack of a OLB has done that to our defense. To be honest with you, if we could maybe lure Larry Fitzgerald from the Cardinals and add two more impact players, that would be better for us than signing Norwell.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I do like your picks, but would prefer Nelson over Williams. Nelson could also end up being that Yanda replacement in a few years and we need a great guard. Also not sure we will be able to land Norwell. Sure we will restructure some contracts, but if the home office wants to move on from Flacco in a couple of years, I agree with @TheCity5 he won’t be restructured. However if he does start to put things together and soon look like “The Former Joe” than a restructure could be possible.

In addition, I’d like to see a wide receiver taken in this draft.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do like your picks, but would prefer Nelson over Williams. Nelson could also end up being that Yanda replacement in a few years and we need a great guard. Also not sure we will be able to land Norwell. Sure we will restructure some contracts, but if the home office wants to move on from Flacco in a couple of years, I agree with @TheCity5 he won’t be restructured. However if he does start to put things together and soon look like “The Former Joe” than a restructure could be possible.

Unless we draft 3 of them, our chances are slim of landing a good one lol

Even if he improves, it would have to be a tremendous jump that puts us in the postseason or at least close to it because right now, that extension he just signed might hurt us badly down the stretch and I don't think they can trust Joe to consistently put in the work they expect of him. He's a huge question mark unless he makes huge strides.

I would like to see us take a WR as well, in fact I think we need to take one within the 1st three rounds, there's not one single WR on the Ravens who is on pace for 500 yards, I think you're looking at a receiving group on pace to be among the worst in league history and worse than even that KC Chiefs offense who didn't have a receiver score a single TD. I heavily doubt that stat will stand but as of now no one has really emerged and the #1 spot is really up for grabs, just depends on who puts up the first ever break out game. All of the Ravens receivers legit have their future here in question.