• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The OL Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I mean, really guys? Someone who doesn't even watch college tape has to make this thread about our biggest need? To all you draft gurus out there, hold this L until the draft is over (that includes undrafted free agency).

But seriously, have at it guys.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
we've been discussing it lol all over all the other threads

some top-end guys who are pretty much nailed on first rounders already to have a mosy at: mike mcglinchey, connor williams, quenton nelson, trey adams
Well dammit you got a thread now lol.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Quentin Nelson is very impressive with good size and technique. Orlando Brown shined against Ohio State and has great size. If we were lucky enough to get both of them in the draft our line would be solid next season.

I'm sure it has been covered, but what is up with Bergstrom? He filled in nicely for Yanda vs. CLE and then the next week, a practice squad call up gets the start and now for 2 straight weeks the guy we actually made a trade for is inactive.

WTF?

I mean, really guys? Someone who doesn't even watch college tape has to make this thread about our biggest need? To all you draft gurus out there, hold this L until the draft is over (that includes undrafted free agency).

But seriously, have at it guys.
I know - it always feels like discussing the draft during season is where people have already thrown in the towel. But seriously, I don't know if there are any solutions for this unit this season.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
we've been discussing it lol all over all the other threads

some top-end guys who are pretty much nailed on first rounders already to have a mosy at: mike mcglinchey, connor williams, quenton nelson, trey adams
In terms of talent, how would you rank those guys?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Quentin Nelson is very impressive with good size and technique. Orlando Brown shined against Ohio State and has great size. If we were lucky enough to get both of them in the draft our line would be solid next season.
Wow, That would be amazing. My favorite lineman in this draft is Nelson. He’s solve a lot of our oline issues.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In terms of talent, how would you rank those guys?

i couldnt really say this early in the process as i havent done much film study so far - all i can really say is those guys all look like bona fide talents at this point and in terms of personal preference id go for either of the 2 notre dame guys (mglinchey or nelson) at this point but ive spent more time watching them so it may well just be bias at this point

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tyrone Crowder is pretty much like a fork lift lol. Guy is a beast in the run game. Clemsons Oline as a whole is pretty underrated in my eyes
Mitch Hyatt would make a great RT in the NFL.

i'd argue that bergstrom was utter garbage when he filled in - like actual trash
I suppose I didn't really critique Bergstrom's performance in the Browns game and that my statement that he filled in nicely was based more on result than analysis. We were in a phase of the game where opposition knew we were going to run the ball and we did so effectively.

The two games since - from a results standpoint - now that has been actual trash.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I know - it always feels like discussing the draft during season is where people have already thrown in the towel. But seriously, I don't know if there are any solutions for this unit this season.
I've thrown in the towel......on the o-line. Believe me, I really want them to prove me wrong, but I'm quickly losing confidence in them. It also doesn't help Flacco throwing at least one pick in every game for the last 12 (I think?) games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I suppose I didn't really critique Bergstrom's performance in the Browns game and that my statement that he filled in nicely was based more on result than analysis. We were in a phase of the game where opposition knew we were going to run the ball and we did so effectively.

The two games since - from a results standpoint - now that has been actual trash.

Go back and watch bergstrom on a snap-by-snap basis (or if you cba then read filmstudy's write up) and you'll notice he was awful

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've thrown in the towel......on the o-line. Believe me, I really want them to prove me wrong, but I'm quickly losing confidence in them. It also doesn't help Flacco throwing at least one pick in every game for the last 12 (I think?) games.
It’s 10 so far. Let’s not make it worse.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Alright, here are my notes on different prospects:

-Quenton Nelson: he's the total package. He's a bad man, he humiliates his guy on every play. Athletic, smart, technically sound, fucken hell strong. Going to transform an OL by himself.

-Billy Price: dominant. Strong and compact, pretty sound as well. He's not that far behind Nelson but he's just a bit less «wow».

McGlinchey: early draft crush. Love his kickstep, very fluid. Excellent run blocker. Punch can be inconsistent but he has a strong pair of hands and upper body. Rarely needs to anchor actually. As a RT he's going to be elite. Not sure he fits at LT but that's just me.

Orlando Brown: Very overrated imo. I have a 3rd round grade on him. He's helped a lot by the system at OU. His hand placement is horrible. He's pretty athletic for his size and certainly has some pretty appealing traits, but he's a project.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I placed this in the 2017 OL Thread, but I thought it may have more use here. Enjoy

Quenton Nelson gifs from the VT game.

Two things stand out about Nelson immediately:

1.) This kid is very powerful and he's a ferocious blocker:

giphy.gif

2.) He's a really smart player:

giphy.gif

Another snap where he lays his initial block and then adjusts to the blitzer/interior rusher and plants him:

giphy.gif

You can tell this kid is super well coached and he's got a killer instinct. He finishes blocks like an animal but he's a clean player. Doesn't get grabby, and never takes it too far. Here's another good example:

giphy.gif

Nelson is absolutely brilliant in pass protection. He plays with perfect technique. Great knee bend, back straight, head up, arms extended. He doesn't get tired and let his technique slip. He keeps his head on a swivel and is always feeling out the pocket and making adjustments. He is consistent all of the way through the fourth quarter and the result is that he never misses assignments or give up pressure. The only pressure from his area I saw were two bad play designs, one where he was stuck with two rushers and the other where he was supposed to trap but the rusher jumped the snap and got through immediately.

He's physically gifted. Flexible and moves his feet very well to maintain a wide base and good balance. Vines for arms and good quick twitch musculature for his size--usually the first one off the line of scrimmage and has a very sudden first few steps. He carries his weight well, huge trunk and wide, columnar body. He's just a massive player, 330 is his natural weight. He pretty much always generates push when he drives and has an absolutely immovable anchor. He's a true power blocker who's got an NFL ready body and could step onto the field as a rookie and be a high end starter.

As far as weaknesses, he doesn't have any major ones. Such a smart and disciplined and well coached player. The footspeed when he gets out into the second level is really good. And he's good at adjusting to moving targets. He is definitely a strong pull blocker and he is very good on reaches because those first steps are explosive and he keeps his head up and lands a good punch. Really excels at turning and sealing to open lanes. He's a very good run blocker period.

He's also gotten better this year than he was last year. His second level blocking in the BC game cutups was noticeably better than it was in the VT game I pulled these gifs from.

My projection for Nelson is that he's got All-Pro potential at LG with the size and balance and lateral fluidity to play OT too. If we had him at LG today, we'd have a top 5 to 10 line in the league, without Yanda. He'd fit anywhere, but he's a particularly great fit for our offense because of the multiple nature of our blocking schemes and the degree of difficulty required for the blocks in our run game.

Put this kid on my wish list. Nelson is number 1 on my wish list. He's a blue chipper who is probably going to get picked really high.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I am going to get a ton of hate for this, but I really don't think we can afford to go guard with our first round pick. Nelson would make our line a ton better, but here are my problems. 1, he is the top guard, I think someone will easily overdraft him (Top 8 range) and leave us without a chance. 2. Wallace is most likely gone this year, Maclin is old and likely out next year, and then.. Perriman. We have no talent at tight ends either. We could easily use an upgrade at Rb also. That doesn't even account for a possible qb, or passrusher as Suggs is almost out. I realize those guys are useless without a line yes. I'm pro "rebuild" in many ways, but we are set at LT, center if we resign Jensen, RG, and RT imo. I love Goose and think he could make a great guard for us. Alex Lewis, James Hurst, and Jermaine aren't too awful either. I think that upgrading our already awful skill wr/te group (subtract Wallace and Watson) is a must. And what if we miss on Nelson? How fucked would we be wasting a mid-first round pick on a average guard?

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
What I have to ask, if we had Nelson would it have made a winning difference against the Bears today? Now if we had Kirk, think we could have won?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What I have to ask, if we had Nelson would it have made a winning difference against the Bears today? Now if we had Kirk, think we could have won?

it would have made a huge difference - flacco had no room to throw because of pressure from inside - he couldnt step into throws, he had to get rid of the ball too quickly, it meant we had not time to throw deep except that one time with the miss to perriman

the bears blitzed but they very rarely left themselves in pure man coverage and the lack of creativity in our coordinators would mean all we're doing with kirk is putting him on the field in stead of maclin/perriman - sure it diversifies the routes we run but it doesnt increase the playmaking potential on the outside by a huge amount whereas quenton nelson maybe springs a few more of those 2 yard runs into 6 yard runs or gives flacco an extra second or two in the pocket because eluemunor hasnt missed the delayed blitz or stunt, or because hurst hasnt been bulled into flacco's lap

when a qb has time they can do whatever they want - look at the bears today - they had literally no receivers and somehow still put up a few points and moved the football because trubisky was rarely under pressure until the end of the game