• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Lost in Translation's Scouting Report #1

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
2017 Scouting Report

This is a series of articles about players I have been personally scouting. Since I have no life I enjoy watching the tapes of several prospects. Would I consider myself an expert or a guru? Nope. I’m not applying for jobs with other teams. Would I say I’ve had more hits than misses? Yes, especially over the past three years.

So let’s start off this with a prospect that you are all expecting me to scout.

Nick-Chubb-kneeling-Curtis-Compton_stqkok.jpg

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State.

Yes. Let’s talk about someone I would love to partner up with Joe, or another potential quarterback of the future.

James Washington is a deep threat WR at 6’0, and 205 pounds, who has the ability to get open almost effortlessly even with his limited route tree. This can be attributed to his 4.4-4.5 speed that he plays at.

But unlike most deep threats we’ve selected in the past, Washington appears to be a natural hands catcher. In fact, James Washington flashes the ability to make catches that #1 NFL WRs can make in coverage. Unlike a Torrey Smith, Washington has the ability to go high point the ball and body the receiver. Not like an Anquan Boldin(his hands are not that strong), but he’s still more than capable of bodying the receiver to make a tough catch, or still making the tough catch under good coverage.

james-washington.jpg

Another trait that I like is that he has the ability to make adjustments and has elite tracking ability when he goes deep. Rudolph, much like Flacco, will occasionally underthrow on the deep ball. Yet, Washington displays the ability to make the proper adjustment and still beat the defenses deep.

Like most deep threats, he also has the ability to make certain corners bite on the double move. Though this won’t be as helpful on the NFL level, it does help with his ability to get open.

One underrated aspect of his game is his explosiveness. Although not used over the middle as often as I would want him to be, when OK-State uses him on end arounds, he displays the ability to make good cuts in the open field, and turn on a second gear.

However, as much as I like him, he’s not perfect. He needs to be more refined in his routes. However, he displays traits that would suggest that he could become a good route runner at the NFL level.

Others also may also criticize him for the fact that he does not have elite speed. While he may not be Desean Jackson, he reminds me more of a Josh Gordon in terms of speed and explosiveness. Gordon also ran a 4.5 40 and played at similar speed, and during his time in the NFL showed that he was a more than capable deep threat.

Overall: I see Washington as a guy who is a big play threat with the ability to make contested catches, and someone who has the natural ability to become a good route runner at the NFL level. I also see someone who can make tough catches over the middle if he is required to. He displays #1 receiver potential, but at worst is going to be a very dangerous #2 WR.

Overall Verdict: Late first rounder-mid second round pick.

Pro Comparison: Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers. While he’s not as big as Nelson, his playstyle is reminiscent. Nelson has a knack for making tough catches when going deep, or going over the middle. He’s also a smart receiver like Nelson who makes adjustments in order to get the upper hand on the defensive back. Several people will write Jordy Nelson off as a guy who “Aaron Rodgers makes”, but that’s simply not true. Washington is currently a big play WR with the potential to be a #1 and at worst be a very high end #2 at the NFL level ala Mike Wallace.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nice write up. Although I haven’t seen much tape any player, I’ve seen some live action and he does look like a player at the next level. In regards to Nelson, we saw that Rodgers had some issues when Nelson went down, even with the other weapons that he has. I think both ARod and Nelson make each other a better player.

Who would you compare Washington to from previous college drafts, not NFL players.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Nice write up. Although I haven’t seen much tape any player, I’ve seen some live action and he does look like a player at the next level. In regards to Nelson, we saw that Rodgers had some issues when Nelson went down, even with the other weapons that he has. I think both ARod and Nelson make each other a better player.

Who would you compare Washington to from previous college drafts, not NFL players.
Previous drafts? That's a hard one. Lot of deep threats aren't built like him. I think he could turn into a Jordy Nelson type.

But I think that in terms of usage he's more along the lines of a shorter Martavis Bryant coming out of school. Not necessarily a refined player, but one talented enough to make an impact in the pros immediately.