• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Week Seven Preview: Baltimore Ravens at Minnesota Vikings

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It is becoming increasingly difficult to look forward to the games played by the 2017 Baltimore Ravens. Are they going to do well like they did in Oakland when they played a complete game or will they look absolutely lost like they did against the Jacksonville Jaguars? Nothing about this season makes sense because there is no consistency and the Ravens are struggling against teams they should beat and pummeling down on the team that many pundits claimed would be the class of the AFC. Who will show up this Sunday? Unfortunately, I personally do not think the good Baltimore Ravens will show up on Sunday when they travel to Minnesota to take on the Vikings.

If the Ravens lost yet again on Sunday, it would put the team at 3-4, giving them a losing record for the first time all season. Even worse, if the Ravens lose, it would mark the second week in a row that the Ravens lost to a quarterback who was originally not the starter week one of the regular season. That is never a good look and would certainly be a huge blow to the morale of the Ravens. Furthermore, it would give the 2017 season a feel very reminiscent of 2015 when the Ravens had all the tools in the world to be a good team, but fell drastically short with a 5-11 record. Sadly, I think that is the direction we will see the team heading in the upcoming weeks as the schedule only becomes more brutal from here on out.

But let us focus on this week and look at the key match ups to what could be a potential Ravens victory.

Key Match Ups

Joe Flacco vs The Vikings Secondary: On paper, this might be the single scariest match up of the game. It is a combination of being scared for the decisions and poor throws Joe Flacco may make and being scared of Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes.

The thing with the Vikings secondary is that lately, they seem to really be just Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith (can we have that 2012 pick back?). The two are elite talents that will rarely get beaten and will more often than not make a quarterback pay when they are challenged, but that is why it is good that a secondary is a four plus man unit. On the opposite side, the Vikings will be featuring Trae Waynes and Terrance Newman. The ageless wonder Newman seems to have met his match with Father Time and Waynes seems to be struggling with the idea that not all routes are run in a straight line. The Vikings secondary is vulnerable and they can be taken advantage of; Flacco just has to attack the right pieces.

Of course, if the game against Chicago is any indication, Joe does not see nameplates and will attack the strongest link over and over again with no desire to stop (Kyle Fuller was targeted 15 times, allowing just five receptions). Let us hope that Flacco has learned his lesson because the Rhodes will be closed and it will be a big step up from Fuller.

The Ravens Offensive Line vs The Vikings Front Seven: While Flacco vs the Vikings secondary might be the most nerve-wracking match up, this might be the most exciting match up and one that may help determine the fate of Flacco.

Simply put, this Vikings front seven is scary. With big names like Anthony Barr, Linval Joseph, Everson Griffin, and Danielle Hunter, the Vikings front seven plays a big game. They can stuff the run and they can rush the passer, making it a nightmare for any team. And while Barr, Hunter, and Joseph may be having quiet statistical seasons, all it takes is one game for them to break out and make their presences felt alongside Griffin who was recorded a sack in every single game this season.

The Ravens offensive line was soundly beaten like a drum for the majority of the day against the Chicago Bears and I do not expect things to get any easier a week later in Minnesota. In fact, I would expect things to only get more difficult. Can the Ravens rebound and recapture their magic from the first five games of the season or will the offensive line begin to falter like the rest of the team?

The Ravens Run Defense vs Jerick McKinnon: So, I am in a really odd position. On one hand, I am extremely glad that the Ravens do not have to face Dalvin Cook because I think he would shred the edges of the Ravens defense. On the other hand, does a team not want to always face their opponent’s best to prove their worth? Unfortunately for the Vikings, they may be getting the Ravens best.

This is the week that I had pegged Brandon Williams to be back for the Ravens and it appears that Williams may be good to go as he returns to the practice field. The Ravens could surely use the big man on the field as they take on a Vikings team that loves to use the inside zone. Good luck getting much in the way of tough inside yards against big old nose tackle Michael Pierce and massive defensive tackle Brandon Williams. Jerick McKinnon will have his work cut out for him, no pun intended, when he takes on a Baltimore Ravens front that may get back its most important piece.

If the Ravens can effectively limit McKinnon, then there is no reason to believe that the rest of the defense can thrive. All signs at the moment point to Sam Bradford and Stefon Diggs not playing. If the game is forced into the hands of Case Keenum because McKinnon is shut down, can Keenum make the big time throws and plays needed to win against this Ravens defense?

Final Score Prediction:

I originally had this game as a loss and with how poorly the Ravens showed out offensively against the Chicago Bears in Baltimore, I have a feeling that this game will be a loss on the season to send the team to 3-4. However, I would be shocked to see the Ravens defense surrender 20 points again, barring any turnovers by the offense, so I expect this will be a very low scoring game that will have fans groaning at the lack of excitement. Defensive slugfests are never fun, are they?

Baltimore Ravens: 10, Minnesota Vikings: 17

Lost: Well. Given that I have important meetings this week(life is gonna get in the way and all..) I'll just say that I have 0 confidence in our offense and our oline is going to have their hands full with one of the most talented front 7s in the league. Their defense is as good as ours and possibly better. I have us losing 17-6 in an embarrassing fashion.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Like I said before, Rhodes Closed and I'd be shocked if our offense scored more than 10 points in this game. I would not be surprised at all if the offense got shut out (lord help this board if that happens). I mean after all, Zimmer should know Flacco's tendencies.

The sad part is that in week 7 last season, our offense got shut out in the 2nd half after putting up a decent 16 points in the first half. The record after week 7 last season? You guessed it, 3-4. I expect similar results.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we win the turnover battle I think we can pull it off. If the Rhodes closed you gotta go in the other direction. Simple as that. Hopefully Maclin and BWill both suit up.

Unlike you Bird I don't mind a defensive battle. Old skool. I see Humph getting his 1st pick and touchdown.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
If we win the turnover battle I think we can pull it off. If the Rhodes closed you gotta go in the other direction. Simple as that. Hopefully Maclin and BWill both suit up.

Unlike you Bird I don't mind a defensive battle. Old skool. I see Humph getting his 1st pick and touchdown.
I love a good defensive battle, personally, when it has a lot of turnovers and sacks and all, not just sloppy offensive play. I think we're getting a good mixture of both Sunday

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The humph pick 6 or scoop 6 fir that matter is what I told a friend this week.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fuller is the lesser of the two Bears cornerbacks. Which is why he was targeted so much.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Fuller is the lesser of the two Bears cornerbacks. Which is why he was targeted so much.
While this may be true, that doesn't mean they don't have a good duo. It's like saying AJ Bouye is the lesser of the two Jags corners. Only means so much.