• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Week Nine Preview: Baltimore Ravens at Tennessee Titans

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So… who exactly saw this coming? Who truly saw the Ravens not only shutting the Dolphins out (well, honestly, with the NFL’s worst offense, that was not too hard), but also your Baltimore Ravens putting up 40 points on the Miami Dolphins. To make it better, the 40 points were aided by two defensive touchdowns to aid the offense. It was the type of utter domination that the Ravens had shown they were capable of for the first two weeks of the season. Was this just the pure luck of catching lightning in a bottle or will this be a sign of more to come as the Ravens move into the second half of the season and look to find consistency that has been lacking from the team?

Fortunately for the Ravens, they will be playing the one team that has shown a near level of identical inconsistency in the Tennessee Titans. Much like the Ravens, the Titans, an early preseason favorite for the AFC South crown, the Titans are still trying to figure out exactly how to string together impressive wins and not look like a team that will struggle against the Cleveland Browns week in and week out… much like the Titans did in week 8. Unfortunately for the Ravens, Marcus Mariota appears to be working his way back to be 100% healthy, so expecting another week 8 performance from the Titans is unlikely, but the game is still very much winnable.

Without further ado, let us take a look at this week’s key match-ups:

The Baltimore Ravens Secondary vs the Tennessee Titans Passing Attack: If there is a definite bright spot for the 2017 Baltimore Ravens, it is that the secondary is playing about as well as any in the entire league. Despite struggles from Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson at times, the play of Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr, and Marlon Humphrey has more than made up for the up and down play of the safeties.

This week, the match up will not get any easier as it appears the Titans should be at full strength nearly across the board. With only the status of Delanie Walker up in the air (who claims he will play), Corey Davis will start this game and Marcus Mariota has worked his way back to 100%. When he is healthy, Mariota has been one of the brightest young quarterbacks in the game, even with struggling receivers in Reshard Matthews and Eric Decker. Mariota, much like the 2017 Tennessee Titans, will look to put behind him up and down performances and show that he is truly one of the games elites against an elite Baltimore Ravens secondary.

However, given the recent struggles of the Titans passing and the fact that Davis has only played for two weeks, it would be hard to expect too much from the Titans against the Ravens secondary. Instead, the Ravens will have to focus on the potent Titans running game.

The Baltimore Ravens Front Seven vs the Tennessee Titans Running Game: The Ravens had been struggling to contain opposing run games for several weeks with the absence of Brandon Williams and struggled in his initial return against the Minnesota Vikings. However, last week against the Miami Dolphins, the Ravens allowed 21 yards on Jay Ajayi’s first run of the game and then proceeded to allow just two yards on his next 12 carries.

The match up this week certainly will not get any easier as the Ravens will have to find a way to contain not only former OPOY Demarco Murray and Derrick Henry, but also Marcus Mariota, one of the game’s most mobile quarterbacks. Coupled with an extremely strong offensive line that can block down downhill and punish opposing defenses, this will be a focal point of the Ravens defensive focus.

Will the Ravens play like they did against the Miami Dolphins or will we have a repeat of the Minnesota Vikings? Due to the return of Brandon Williams, anything is possible at this juncture in the season.

The Baltimore Ravens Pass Rush vs the Tennessee Titans Offensive Line: The Baltimore Ravens pass rush seems to only have two settings on the year- pressure and sack the opposing quarterback into oblivion or disappear and allow the opposing quarterback to make a five course meal in the backfield. It is completely fair to wonder if the Ravens lack of a pass rush has come from the lack of a true alpha pass rusher to take over games. With 4.5 sacks on the season, Terrell Suggs leads the Ravens pass rush, but it will not be any easier this week as the Ravens match up against an incredibly tough Tennessee Titans offensive line.

Lead by star tackle Taylor Lewan, the Titans offensive line is a force to be reckoned with across the board. Even with backup Brian Schwenke starting in place of the injured Quenton Spain, the Titans have an offensive line fit to give the Ravens… well, fits.

Which Ravens pass rush will show up this week against the Titans? Given the strength of the Titans lies with their offensive line and the mobility of Marcus Mariota, it seems likely that the pass rush that pulls a Houdini will show up.

Final Score Prediction:

This truly feels like a very winnable game. The Titans passing game has yet to come online and the running game has struggled to maintain the consistency that you would expect from two running backs the caliber of Murray and Henry. On top of that, Adoree Jackson and Logan Ryan do not exactly form the most fearsome starting quarterback duo and Joe Flacco may have yet another strong passing performance much like he did against the Miami Dolphins. But, in true fashion, I will go against the obvious prediction because reverse psychology, right?

Baltimore Ravens: 20, Tennessee Titans: 24

Hey guys. Sorry. College and my personal life have hit again. So here's how I see it.
The most crucial matchup in my eyes is the Ravens front 7 vs Mariota and the Titans Rushing attack. Combined with that elite offensive line of there's, Mariota, Murray, and Henry are all threats in the rushing attack. However, I see the Titans winning this matchup rather effortlessly. I also see Flacco struggling post-concussion.

Titans 24-10. Had this as a loss at the start of the year. Still see it that way. Sadly, I see our offense returning to form and the defense giving up a few late touchdowns to make the game seem worse than it actually was. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m picking against the Ravens every week now almost as some sort of voodoo black magic superstition

But outside of that we look like we matchup really well against this titans team:

They don’t have much of a pass rush which should give flacco more time in the pocket and their secondary isn’t the strongest which should give us some opportunities for a few chunk plays in the passing game

With Brandon Williams back, they’re running game is going to have to carry them and if he plays like he has on all games except the Vikings then the titans should be worried because despite diversifying their offence this offseason their passing options don’t really scare me with this secondary and canady back adds an extra element of versatility and depth on the backend

The ravens pass rush needs to improve but I’m not sure this is the game where edge rushing wins is the game - that said I think there’s an opportunity against this titans oline to get push up the middle which hopefully Brandon Williams and Willie Henry and ZDS can take advantage and put Mariota under pressure

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I’m picking against the Ravens every week now almost as some sort of voodoo black magic superstition

But outside of that we look like we matchup really well against this titans team:

They don’t have much of a pass rush which should give flacco more time in the pocket and their secondary isn’t the strongest which should give us some opportunities for a few chunk plays in the passing game

With Brandon Williams back, they’re running game is going to have to carry them and if he plays like he has on all games except the Vikings then the titans should be worried because despite diversifying their offence this offseason their passing options don’t really scare me with this secondary and canady back adds an extra element of versatility and depth on the backend

The ravens pass rush needs to improve but I’m not sure this is the game where edge rushing wins is the game - that said I think there’s an opportunity against this titans oline to get push up the middle which hopefully Brandon Williams and Willie Henry and ZDS can take advantage and put Mariota under pressure
Hopefully Bowser gets more playing time and Tim Williams is ready to go.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

My prediction for this game is Tim Williams, if he plays, will introduce himself to Mariota.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Not yet, but he’s had some opportune pressures. Unfortunately he hasn’t played much and has even less playing time on obvious passing downs.
He's been a full participant in practice, so hopefully this is the week he gets his first regular season sack.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
This is the type of game we should win. Because of that, the Mariota to Davis or Walker connection will be the second coming of the Young to Rice connection. I think we'll break a new record in most rushing yards allowed and I expect Flacco to somewhat struggle against a LeBeau-led Titans defense on the road. This could smell blowout.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is the type of game we should win. Because of that, the Mariota to Davis or Walker connection will be the second coming of the Young to Rice connection. I think we'll break a new record in most rushing yards allowed and I expect Flacco to somewhat struggle against a LeBeau-led Titans defense on the road. This could smell blowout.

The only way is up