• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Too Little Too Late: A Story of the 2017 Baltimore Ravens Season

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
If it feels like I am writing the same article all over again… well, you would honestly be half right, but that is more of a testament to the Ravens inability to rectify their issues than it is to a lack of originality, I would like to think. At this point, the Ravens are just the most predictable team in the entire NFL that it really has become quite sad at this point.

Did the Ravens score first? If no, then it is a loss. Really- the Ravens have not won a single game that they have trailed in since at least 2016. If yes, did the Ravens secure more than a one score advantage? If no, then count on a late fourth quarter score for the opposing offense and expect the offense to come up just short. If the lead is more than two scores, there is a good chance that the Ravens will go on to put up two defensive touchdowns and shut out their opponents.

Sunday against the Tennessee Titans proved no different. The Titans scored first and from that point on, the Ravens would fail to do more than simply tie the game. When the Ravens intercepted an errant Marcus Mariota pass and gave the offense new life, the Ravens pulled within three points of the Titans. To that point, the defense had forced three second half three and outs and had an interception on four total drives for the Titans. All signs pointed to what may have been the first come from behind the victory for the Ravens since early 2015. But alas, Mariota would find Eric Decker in the end zone for a late Titans touchdown that would ice the game, yet again cementing a late defensive touchdown for a Ravens opponent to put the game out of reach when the offense had just started clicking… finally. Again, it is a very predictable story line that has continued for over a season and a half to date.

The team just has a dysfunctional look and feel to it. Unless the Ravens get up by at least two scores, likely due to defensive touchdowns with how this offense is operating at the moment, then no lead feels safe and if the Ravens are behind, no amount of points feels like it can be overcome. When the defense holds its own and limits the damage from opponents, the offense flounders and stalls, turning over the ball or having consistent three and outs. When the offense finally gets going at any point in the game, the defense seems to fall apart. Only on rare occasions do both units actually come together in beautiful fashion to form a dominant performance like the prior week against the Miami Dolphins. However, those performances are usually far and few between due to a team that cannot click on the same page.

What makes the Ravens especially frustrating is that this team will rarely get blown out and look lost on both sides of the ball for the entirety of the game. In a way, those losses would be easier to stomach because then at least the team looked horrible. But the Ravens are not that kind to their fans. Instead, we have performances like Sunday that send a divide through Ravens fans as blame is thrown on both sides of the ball and adamant supporters come out to defend their side of the equation from the haters on the other side.

Before I get into why I feel the offense was the larger issue, let me just put this out there- the defense flat out needs to perform better as the game comes to an end. It does not matter if you perform for 59 minutes if you flounder in the final minute and cost your team the game. Sunday was no different. As Mariota danced around in the backfield, the Titans had called a play that would work perfectly. The Titans called for their tight end and outside receiver to come across the formation to the right and pull the Ravens defense to the right. Decker, the right slot receiver on the play, would work across the field to his left, hopefully being left one on one with his man, Maurice Canady. The play worked to perfection as the Ravens cleared to the right, leaving just Canady to work across the field in man coverage on Decker. However, as Canady worked across the field, Patrick Onwauser dropped into a zone and backed right up into Canady, allowing Decker to run wide open and free into the end zone for a pitch and catch I would be capable of throwing or catching. These defensive lapses happen far too often and are an unacceptable reason for the Ravens losing many close games. At some point, the Ravens need to hammer out exactly why two players are getting tangled up with each other and how that happens at just the perfect time. It is maddening and incredibly frustrating when games feel winnable and within reach. With that said, I still personally largely put this blame on the offense.

The Ravens offense did absolutely nothing with the opportunity that the Ravens defense provided for the Titans. Excluding the final drive of the game where the Titans kneeled to run out the clock, the Ravens defense held the Titans to just one scoring drive on five attempts (four three and outs, one interception), held the Titans to just 52 plays as compared to the Ravens 77 plays, a 25 play difference, and held the Titans to 3-11 on third down. The Ravens even came up with their interception late in the fourth quarter to set up what would ultimately be a failed comeback attempt.

The question I have is about what the offense is doing for the first 50 or more minutes of the game? Prior to the final two drives of the game, the Ravens had gained just six points, both from drives that were started in the first quarter of the game. For nearly 30 minutes, the Ravens offense did not score a single point. Between the final two drives of the game out of 11, the Ravens played nearly 30% of their total offensive snaps, gained nearly one third of their total yardage, and scored 70% of their points. Why does it take until the game is almost over and on the line for the Ravens to wake up and realize that they need to score points? What is it about the final 10 minutes of the game that the Ravens start functioning like a competent offense? If the Ravens showed any semblance of this type of production for the first 50 minutes of the game, these defensive collapses would not be an issue.

For reference, look at the Eagles vs Broncos game. The Eagles led by a score of 44 to 9 before the Eagles gave up two touchdowns to narrow the gap to 44 to 23 late in the fourth quarter. And do you know who actually cared? Not a single damn person outside of the Eagles defensive players and coaches who were playing for pride. Not a single person cared that the Eagles gave up two touchdowns because in the end, those 14 points were inconsequential. Even with those two touchdowns, the Eagles had still stomped the Broncos and thoroughly embarrassed what was thought to be one of the best defenses in the league. My point is this- if the offense would start fast and play hard for the first 50 minutes, much like the Ravens defense, there would be no fourth quarter defensive collapses. However, when you walk a fine line of playing close games within three points, it puts up a lot of pressure and you are bound to have problems. Why even risk a comeback? Why not just put the game out of reach? It will be something the Ravens offense will have to work on in 2018 and beyond; at this point 2017 just looks beyond repair.

Oh, and before we second guess Harbaugh’s decision to go for the fourth down conversion that ultimately failed instead of taking the field goal to narrow the score to 9-16, can we please acknowledge the context? To that point, the Ravens were 2-2 on fourth down, had yet to actually reach the red zone of the Titans, and had scored just six points in three full quarters of work. Why would you settle for a field goal when you just reached the opposing red zone for the first time in three full quarters of work? At this point, Harbaugh did not know whether or not the Ravens would reach the red zone again and with a weapon like Tucker, it is much easier to get into his field goal range than it is to get into the end zone. Settling for a score of 9-16 and hoping for a stop plus a touchdown seemed way too out of reach to that point. It was the right decision based on how the game had gone to that point. Did it ultimately appear to backfire in the end? Sure, it did if we only look at the final score and ignore the fact that the entire play calling changes based on the opponents points and your own down and distance in relation to the Titans. Can we just stop playing Captain Hindsight when we have all the information of the after?

At this point, though, the Ravens season feels like a continuous loop of too little too late. The Ravens offense comes alive just too late and the Ravens defense gives too little to close out games. It is an issue that seems as old as time and one that will likely cost coaches their jobs at the end of the season. It is an issue that has fans looking at 2018 and losing hope for 2017.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
The winning mentalitity this team once had and still preaches seems gone. Rather than finding ways to win games, We're finding ways to lose them. This has been happenning 3 years straight now...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The winning mentalitity this team once had and still preaches seems gone. Rather than finding ways to win games, We're finding ways to lose them. This has been happenning 3 years straight now...
I know everyone loves Harbaugh, and I do, too, honestly, but at this point, I do not foresee these issues changing under him. I'm sure he'll get snapped up right away if he's let go of and he may very well be another Andy Reid, but I think the team needs a culture change. The team seems complacent and it's the same issues game after game- do just enough to not quite win.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The question I have is about what the offense is doing for the first 50 or more minutes of the game? Prior to the final two drives of the game, the Ravens had gained just six points, both from drives that were started in the first quarter of the game. For nearly 30 minutes, the Ravens offense did not score a single point. Between the final two drives of the game out of 11, the Ravens played nearly 30% of their total offensive snaps, gained nearly one third of their total yardage, and scored 70% of their points. Why does it take until the game is almost over and on the line for the Ravens to wake up and realize that they need to score points? What is it about the final 10 minutes of the game that the Ravens start functioning like a competent offense? If the Ravens showed any semblance of this type of production for the first 50 minutes of the game, these defensive collapses would not be an issue.

The opposing defense is just playing it safe at that point, I'd say. When we're pressed, we lose our minds.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
in terms of the outcome coming down the first few minutes - its even more stark than this: we've lost once from a winning position which was when the vikings came back from a seemingly unassailable (lol) 3-0 lead in the first quarter to go ahead 6-3 and never looked back

the idea that our defence is not holding onto 4th quarter leads like last year is finally wrong - we havent lost a lead all year except once in the first quarter - the problem is that if we dont get the lead first then we've lost

obviously we've had a couple of problems getting off the field in the 4th quarter on occasional drives but if you look at the totality of this defence they are getting more than enough stops and turnovers that we should be winning every game we've played (except the jags game) with even just a mediocre offence - this pisses me off because outside of the eagles and the rams, the steelers have been the best team in the nfl and they were not a good team against us - we were just worse - it pisses me off because we evidently had a chance to go far this year if we just had a modicum of mediocrity on offence

but so many times off the back of turnovers we've actually ended up losing yards and punting the ball back to the opposition

i think the lack of lead changes are endemic of something that you kind of suggested in terms of the "same-ol" stuff happening game after game - our coaching staff and players have shown no ability to adjust in game to what is happening around them - our philosophy never changes, the types of plays we run dont change - it either works or it doesnt work both offensively and defensively and we roll with it for the entire game until time gets so short that we need 2 late scores in the 4th quarter to make it close at which point we go into our hurry up and its never quite enough

and i think this is the most damning thing of our current coaching staff - we never try new things in games when stuff doesnt work - we roll with it and maybe just change the ratio of plays so that we call more passing plays and become less balanced - but its like their brains arent working because we have a short passing game that stays in bounds so its not even like the passing game is really helping us time wise when chasing the game unless we throw incompletions - which naturally dont help us anyway - our coaching and offensive play has been a mish mash of frazzled thinking, missed opportunities and awful execution:

you're 2017 ravens everyone...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
So far the defense has been playing pretty good in my opinion. We have haven't got to the QB the way I thought we would but we are leading the NFL in turnovers which says something. Our offense has not been able to sustain drives or even give us leads to work on.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
in terms of the outcome coming down the first few minutes - its even more stark than this: we've lost once from a winning position which was when the vikings came back from a seemingly unassailable (lol) 3-0 lead in the first quarter to go ahead 6-3 and never looked back

the idea that our defence is not holding onto 4th quarter leads like last year is finally wrong - we havent lost a lead all year except once in the first quarter - the problem is that if we dont get the lead first then we've lost

obviously we've had a couple of problems getting off the field in the 4th quarter on occasional drives but if you look at the totality of this defence they are getting more than enough stops and turnovers that we should be winning every game we've played (except the jags game) with even just a mediocre offence - this pisses me off because outside of the eagles and the rams, the steelers have been the best team in the nfl and they were not a good team against us - we were just worse - it pisses me off because we evidently had a chance to go far this year if we just had a modicum of mediocrity on offence

but so many times off the back of turnovers we've actually ended up losing yards and punting the ball back to the opposition

i think the lack of lead changes are endemic of something that you kind of suggested in terms of the "same-ol" stuff happening game after game - our coaching staff and players have shown no ability to adjust in game to what is happening around them - our philosophy never changes, the types of plays we run dont change - it either works or it doesnt work both offensively and defensively and we roll with it for the entire game until time gets so short that we need 2 late scores in the 4th quarter to make it close at which point we go into our hurry up and its never quite enough

and i think this is the most damning thing of our current coaching staff - we never try new things in games when stuff doesnt work - we roll with it and maybe just change the ratio of plays so that we call more passing plays and become less balanced - but its like their brains arent working because we have a short passing game that stays in bounds so its not even like the passing game is really helping us time wise when chasing the game unless we throw incompletions - which naturally dont help us anyway - our coaching and offensive play has been a mish mash of frazzled thinking, missed opportunities and awful execution:

you're 2017 ravens everyone...
I just cannot fathom how bad this offense is or why they're so bad. As gtalk just alluded to, the Ravens are leading the league in turnovers with EIGHTEEN. The Ravens are literally forcing two turnovers per game. That's two drives that are stopped short with zero points scored for the opposing offense, but the offense is producing less than 20 points per game. To date, the Ravens offense has run more plays than their opponents, but they somehow can't ever manage to actually find the end zone. I don't understand it.

People (looking at you RavensDFan) want to put a lot of blame on the defense because they had lapses like against the Titans where they allow a touchdown late and it put the game out of reach, but why is the offense scoring just 6 points up until 10 minutes to go into the fourth? Why does it take 50 minutes? I don't understand how this offense can be so damn inept.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As gtalk just alluded to, the Ravens are leading the league in turnovers with EIGHTEEN. The Ravens are literally forcing two turnovers per game.

which is crazy because we are only tied 8th in the league in turnover differential - we have literally twice as many turnovers as new england but are tied with them in turnover differential at +4: we are literally the number 1 turnover team but only just in the top 10 in differential - that is how bad this offence has been

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
which is crazy because we are only tied 8th in the league in turnover differential - we have literally twice as many turnovers as new england but are tied with them in turnover differential at +4: we are literally the number 1 turnover team but only just in the top 10 in differential - that is how bad this offence has been

I've been saying this for a long time, is this defense one of those old great Baltimore ones? No and it does not have to be for us to be a good team. Our defense almost every single game has to hold opponents all game for the offense to wake up. When was the last time our defense had a 2 score lead and could focus on one side of the ball? Where we can go after the QB bc we know the pass is coming because we FORCED them to?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Can you imagine what we would look like as a team without the 18 turnovers. I mean we would have two more losses.