• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Off-season Reload Priority

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
In free agency and the draft. Which position and players are your favorite?? And which position and players should be priories. List your top 3 position priorities in free agency. What players at those positions should these team make a priority and make a run at?? Of course if the team maximizes cap space by cleaning house of aging and unproductive players. Like if Suggs and Weddle retire.

Landry is a name that often comes up. But in my opinion he is to limited. One of the problems with the raven offense is vanilla limited players. It is like you have a deep threat or 2 and that is all those players are good for.stretching the grid but offers little creating separation short and intermediate. Then you have TE's and old vet receivers that are crafty possession receivers but do not stress the opponents. For once get the ravens a WR that stresses opponents and makes them cover the complete grid. A good sized Wide Receiver that can create separation short to intermediate with fast sudden routes and run well after the catch!! As well as the speed to get deep AND attack the football and win contested catches!!

I need to give thought before listing the positions and players i like in order. But a complete Wide Receiver that will be available is Allen Robinson!! He is 6'3 1/2 218 lbs yet runs fast sudden routes of a smaller slot receiver. He has good deep speed but most important has top shelf athleticism and aggression attacking the football. And h
is strong and elusive after the catch!! He is like a taller more explosive Boldin!! He will be somewhat of a bargain coming off injury. So he will not cost $16mil per. As good as he is, his best is yet to come!! He performed that well with Bortles behind a terrible Oline in a bad scheme. Robinson could challenge for best WR in the league in right scheme with a QB. If we don't get Robinson then Paul Richardson and Marqise Lee are pretty complete receivers as an alternative. Then there are sleepers like Jeff Janis and even Tre McBride to trade for. I'll get get to draft and different positions later. I favor a dominant offensive line!! Anyways give it some thought dudes. And let's hear some ideas!!

Last edited:

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
This free agent class doesn't match up to well with our team needs which kind of sucks. I think we need to resign Jensen for sure and then try for a player like Allen Robinson or Andrew Norwell. I think Norwell could give us the nastiest line in the league, but at the same time, part of me just wants Nelson. I think we will outplay our spot to grab him, however, so Norwell would work great.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'll narrow it down to:
1) WR
2) OG
3) ILB

S could also be in play but I don't like the draft class, except if by miracle James falls to us (Minkah won't).

WR: We could add one in FA given the very deep class. I'd like a possession WR to complement our speedier receivers. I also would like us to take one in the draft. Deon Cain is my number one. Otherwise a lot of the guys in this class are big bodied receivers that can go up and get it, something we don't have. Marcell Ateman is growing on me.

OG: There aren't a lot of options, but if we don't get Nelson or Norwell in FA, I'd love to get Billy Price in the second. Will Hernandez is the other option.

ILB: I think this is an underrated need. Our run defense is suffering from the poor play at WLB. This class is insanely deep and we could get a starter in round 5 easy. A guy like Azeem Victor would be perfect.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I'll narrow it down to:
1) WR
2) OG
3) ILB

S could also be in play but I don't like the draft class, except if by miracle James falls to us (Minkah won't).

WR: We could add one in FA given the very deep class. I'd like a possession WR to complement our speedier receivers. I also would like us to take one in the draft. Deon Cain is my number one. Otherwise a lot of the guys in this class are big bodied receivers that can go up and get it, something we don't have. Marcell Ateman is growing on me.

OG: There aren't a lot of options, but if we don't get Nelson or Norwell in FA, I'd love to get Billy Price in the second. Will Hernandez is the other option.

ILB: I think this is an underrated need. Our run defense is suffering from the poor play at WLB. This class is insanely deep and we could get a starter in round 5 easy. A guy like Azeem Victor would be perfect.
TBH our team is so confusing. I have no idea what we really need and what we don't. I love Judon but unless Williams or Tyus can show us something, I know we need a rusher. I agree we need a better WOLB I like Patrick but he isn't an every down backer yet. I would like to see him play on passing downs and special teams but he just doesn't have the starting instincts. Our line is actually pretty decent but Norwell could make it elite. I think a guy like Luke Falk in the second round would be amazing. Then we have WR, the biggest hole IMO. Nothing can convince me we don't need 2, maybe even three this offseason.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
TBH our team is so confusing. I have no idea what we really need and what we don't. I love Judon but unless Williams or Tyus can show us something, I know we need a rusher. I agree we need a better WOLB I like Patrick but he isn't an every down backer yet. I would like to see him play on passing downs and special teams but he just doesn't have the starting instincts. Our line is actually pretty decent but Norwell could make it elite. I think a guy like Luke Falk in the second round would be amazing. Then we have WR, the biggest hole IMO. Nothing can convince me we don't need 2, maybe even three this offseason.
Tyus and Timmy have shown me plenty to know they can become stars. That the coaching staff can't put them on the field and give petty excuses for that isn't their fault. Timmy is our best pass rusher and Tyus can be a swiss army knife that will be an X Factor for our defense.
Regarding WLB, with Peanut and Levine, we have good coverage backers. It's totally fine if we get ourselves a 2 down LB. We don't need a 3 down LB. We need a guy who is going to make our run defense dominant like it should be and leave the field with a 3rd and long for the offense.
Luke Falk isn't that good of a prospect, and the last games have shown it. There's a lot of QB that I'd take before him. This class isn't great at the top, but very deep. Give me Stidham in the 4th and I'm a very happy man.

Out of the UFAs I like WR Taylor Gabriel, hes small but fast and durable with good hands. Im also a fan of TE/WR Trey Burton, hes fun to watch, can split out wide and is also durable. I think if Watson doesnt retire we should move on, hes too old, doesnt block and gets slower every year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i cant see us going big in free agency tbh unless something makes sense - i expect us to retool our wr depth extensively - i imagine perriman and maclin will still be here but anyone else is at best 50/50 to stay methinks - id be ok with going after a guy like taylor gabriel, marquise lee or paul richardson depending on the prices - but guys like that who can reliably find a role in the team with decent hands - and then going after a receiver in the first 2 rounds - i know a lot of you are hot and cold on anthony miller but if he falls to the 2nd round he could be legit an incredible pickup or of course the obvious guys like calvin ridley in the 1st - while im not sure i like this wr class's top end as much as last years its certainly deeper with more options at the top

i do think i'd like us to get a guard not because i think our line will be bad next year but because i think it could elevate the unit to elite levels of road grading in the run game and be stronger in the passing game through the middle where we've struggled most this year

I've liked DJ Fluker this year, he's gone through a weird career change from a pass blocking RT to a powerhouse mauling guard. He would look great between Stanley and Jensen.............. on the field.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dont know how much the Ravens need to sign OL considering that everyone who normally played on it got hurt and Jensen who people were worried about turned out to be amazing. If someone better than Howard opens up then pounce but I honestly am curious what the team could do if it had the correct OL behind it.

Obviously drafting Yanda's replacement is a priority but FA is sort of a different element. Its possible the Ravens might target a WR or TE but so much of the offense is dragged down by the fact that the OLine is just crippled by injury so they have to keep so many extra people in on every play and you have plays like the Flacco INT where only 2 people were running routes.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Look at Pouncy down in Miami....he may come available

RavensDFan

Veteran
QB if one falls to us (unlikely). I am uncertain that Flacco is ever going to recover from his ACL injury if I'm to be honest. He hasn't been the same since then.

Offense, offense, offense.

Of course, it matters little if we retain Marty.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
he's been awful - somehow ajayi ran better when pouncey wasnt in the lineup...

I would prefer Jensen to Pouncy by leaps and bounds. Give Jensen til seasons end and he could be the top center in the league. If Stanley gets stronger it gives our line 2 players among the best in the league at their position. Stanley has to get stronger. Not saying he needs to be a bull. But he has to get stronger to be the best left tackle in the league

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I would prefer Jensen to Pouncy by leaps and bounds. Give Jensen til seasons end and he could be the top center in the league. If Stanley gets stronger it gives our line 2 players among the best in the league at their position. Stanley has to get stronger. Not saying he needs to be a bull. But he has to get stronger to be the best left tackle in the league
I don’t think there is any doubt he will be a top 5 left tackle in this league for a long time, as long as he stays healthy and I was stoked we drafted him.