• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Simba's Full First Round + Ravens Mock - 2021 Edition

Simba

Staff Member
As usual, I do my one mock draft one week before the draft. It's coming one day early this year, so suck it up. Like past years, I once again will be doing this based on what I think could happen in the early rounds, not necessarily what I want to happen.

Without further ado...

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence, QB

This one is so obvious. Nothing else to say here.

2. New York Jets - Zach Wilson, QB

Again, next.

3. San Francisco 49ers - Trey Lance, QB

I refuse to believe the Mac Jones rumors. I'd go Fields here personally, but Lance is a really good fit for Shanahan and I think this is the ultimate direction they go.

4. TRADE: Denver Broncos - Justin Fields, QB

Denver has been involved on so many QBs that I predict they pony up the necessary picks to go up and get someone.

5. Cincinnati Bengals - Ja'Marr Chase, WR

I think they should go OL here but they're way too enamored with reuniting Burrow and Chase.

6. TRADE: Atlanta Falcons - Kyle Pitts, TE

The Falcons took the QB bounty and moved down, only to move back up and get their guy. Miami is comfortable enough that their guys remain on the board at 9.

7. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers - Penei Sewell, OT

Sewell slides down the board and the Chargers get aggressive. They have the QB. Now they need to protect him.

8. Carolina Panthers - Rashawn Slater, OT

The Panthers wanted Sewell, but settle for his 1B.

9. Miami Dolphins - DeVonta Smith, WR

The Dolphins capitalize on multiple trades and still get their guy.

10. Dallas Cowboys - Patrick Surtain, CB

The Cowboys finally get smart and realize that playing defense is a thing.

11. New York Giants - Kwity Paye, DE

The Giants could go any number of directions, but opt for the "safest" of the pass rushers.

12. Philadelphia Eagles - Jaycee Horn, CB

The Eagles could go a number of directions as well, but that defense was horrid last year.

13. Detroit Lions - Jaylen Waddle, WR

The Lions capitalize on the OT fall, move back, and still get their guy.

14. Minnesota Vikings - Jaelan Phillips, DE

The Vikings tried and failed with Ngakoue. Hunter could be approaching the end of his tenure. They take the risk on the talented but oft injured Phillips.

15. New England Patriots - Mac Jones, QB

The movement in the top 4 means that Jones falls and the Patriots don't have to make a move. Jones fits well with the Belichick offense.

16. Arizona Cardinals - Caleb Farley, CB

The Cardinals hope and pray that Horn or Surtain makes it, but they don't. They address CB after Peterson's departure.

17. Las Vegas Raiders - Jamin Davis, LB

The Raiders do what the Raiders do. With Parsons and JOK on the board, they go with the workout standout.

18. Miami Dolphins - Najee Harris, RB

Would I take RB this high? No. Would the Dolphins? I think so. They have a lot of draft picks and opt to continue to build around Tua.

19. Washington Football Team - Micah Parsons, LB

WFT gets one of the top talents of the draft and a QB for their defense.

20. Chicago Bears - Terrace Marshall Jr., WR

They weren't in on Golladay for no reason. They want more weapons, even at the expense of some of their other flaws.

21. Indianapolis Colts - Azeez Ojulari, OLB

The Colts are starved for pass rush and take a shot at the upside of Ojulari.

22. Tennessee Titans - Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL

The Titans could use another WR, but opt for the better talent and try to hit WR later.

23. New York Jets - Greg Newsome, CB

Look at that depth chart. A whole bunch of backup types but no real talents. They take their chance on Newsome who has been rising.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Teven Jenkins, OT

I hate this because I love Jenkins, but I'm not sure there's a better fit for that offense.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars - Christian Barmore, DT

The Jaguars DL is full of failed picks and depth pieces. They capitalize on a great talent still being available.

26. Cleveland Browns - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB

The Browns strengthen the D once more and add a good piece to a lackluster LB group.

27. TRADE: Jacksonville Jaguars - Christian Darrisaw, OT

The Jaguars get aggressive in their pursuits of protecting Lawrence, and grab a falling OT. I think there's a chance Darrisaw could continue to fall actually, but JAX sees KC sitting there with basically no bookends and ensures they get their guy. The Ravens of course trade back, picking up 2.1, 4.1, and 5.26

28. New Orleans Saints - Zaven Collins, LB

The Saints who are in cap hell and have a ton of needs, address the D and add a versatile piece that can play standing up or on the edge.

29. Green Bay Packers - Rashod Bateman, WR

A weapon for Aaron Rodgers? It can't be...

30. Buffalo Bills - Asante Samuel Jr., CB

If there's one area of weakness in Buffalo, it's at CB.

31. Kansas City Chiefs - Alex Leatherwood, OT

The Chiefs need OT help bad and take Leatherwood and give him a shot at LT.

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Landon Dickerson, C

The Buccaneers try to run it back, and address the OL to keep Brady upright. Jensen was moved to G for a period last year and they could opt to do so again.

And now, onto the Ravens.

Round 2, Pick 1: Joe Tryon, OLB, Washington

JT.jpg

Is this my favorite pick that we could make? Absolutely not. But I think Tryon is a Ravens OLB through and through, for both good and bad reasons. He's absolutely going to need some work but has a great athletic profile and the typical size you see out of a Ravens OLB. Again, remember I'm trying to predict what the Ravens would do, not what I want to see.

Round 2, Pick 26: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

liam-eichenberg-notre-dame-talks-trash.jpg

I don't believe the round 1 or early round 2 hype on Eichernberg, so he remains an option for the Ravens at the end of the 2nd and they pounce. It's time to prepare for life after Orlando Brown, whether that's this year or next. Eichenberg is already a good run blocker and would fit well as a swing T this year and a starter next year.

TRADE - Round 3, Pick 25: Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC

DSC06953-1024x683.jpg

The Ravens move up and get a WR after all of the fans have a collective meltdown. The 3.25 in an estimate, but I'm predicting they give up the 3rd round comp pick and the mid 4th to go up as far as they can. St. Brown is a bit of a departure from recent Ravens WR drafting trends, but a welcomed one. Instead of the consistent focus on athletic and testing numbers, they take a damn solid football player who will compete to this whistle on every play.

Round 4, Pick 1: Elijah Molden, DB, Washington

molden.jpg

We're going back to the Washington well and selecting one of the feistiest players in this year's draft. Molden is small but plays with an intensity you don't see very often. He's a versatile chess piece who I'd expect to line up at slot and safety in certain looks.

Round 5, Pick 26: Charles Snowden, OLB, Virginia

charles-snowden-nfl-draft-player-profile-virginia-linebacker.jpg

Big, long, and lanky. Snowden is a pure developmental piece at this point, but has a lot of athleticism and room to grow. He's already got some coverage ability, so could find his way onto the field as a rotational piece and he develops a pass rush. He doesn't have much of a plan right now but I can imagine this is the type of guy that coaches would love to see what they can do with.

Round 5, Pick 27: Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State

8686158.jpg

You thought you were making it out of this draft without a project WR? Guess again. Terry would be the latest in a long line of tall receivers without much nuance right now, but it's a new group of coaches and you have to see what you can do. Terry looked good in 2019 but the whole FSU team was a disaster in 2020. You could absolutely argue that he might not be here, but how often do we see these types of guys fall down the draft board? It's an enticing option and another shot at a weak position on the depth chart.

Round 5, Pick 40: Khyiris Tonga, NT, BYU

E42EFH5KMVCPRG7N5IODDEOL3M.png

It's time to add some youth to the big body rotation. Brandon Williams and Justin Ellis are both 30 or older and we have to look toward the future at some point. Tonga may never be a starter, but should fit in well in the rotation and challenge Ellis for a roster spot.

Round 6, Pick 26: Kene Nwangwu, RB, Iowa State

RB is kind of an understated need for this team, and I think there's a chance they could take a shot at a late rounder. Enter Nwangwu. Returner. Special teamer. Fast. I don't think he ever has a chance to be a 3 down type of guy but could be a good rotational piece at some point down the line.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Simba
I love mock drafts. Nice job thinking this one through and putting it together.

I have to say I would be largely disappointed if This was to be our draft. For one, it feels like we hit a double with our first pick and we might have hit a home run with Creed Humphrey. ( unless I missed him being drafted?) That would drive me to drink, not to mention the mock has us passing on Collins.

Haven't watched as much of Eichenburg so take this with a grain but I saw him beat off the edge twice in the first game I watched and I am not sure I ever came back around.

I like St. Brown. I wonder about trading picks but he's nice player.
Molden is getting a lot of 2/3 buzz. I would much prefer Washington.

Haven't yet watched Snowden. sorry about that

Tonga has a big body but as I watch I see him being driven off th ball by single blocks.

Simba

Staff Member
@Simba

I have to say I would be largely disappointed if This was to be our draft. For one, it feels like we hit a double with our first pick and we might have hit a home run with Creed Humphrey. ( unless I missed him being drafted?) That would drive me to drink, not to mention the mock has us passing on Collins.

Haven't watched as much of Eichenburg so take this with a grain but I saw him beat off the edge twice in the first game I watched and I am not sure I ever came back around.

Tonga has a big body but as I watch I see him being driven off th ball by single blocks.

I'll preface again that this is more of a what I'd think the Ravens would do, and not exactly what I'd do (at least as far as the early rounds go). I will say... how many times have we been disappointed by a pick for it to turn out to be good in a couple of years? I feel like that happens quite often, and usually to the guys we least expect. I try to base my mocks on the Ravens mindset and how I think they'd draft, not who I think is the best necessarily.

For me personally though, I'm not that high on Humphrey. Think he's a back half of the 2nd round player. Wouldn't be mad at him but he was not picked in the first, bur probably would be before Eichenberg if I were to continue building this out.

I've seen the Molden range but not sure I'm fully buying it. He doesn't necessarily have the long speed that other guys in a similar mold have. I like Washington too but would have him going higher in this case.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll preface again that this is more of a what I'd think the Ravens would do, and not exactly what I'd do (at least as far as the early rounds go). I will say... how many times have we been disappointed by a pick for it to turn out to be good in a couple of years? I feel like that happens quite often, and usually to the guys we least expect. I try to base my mocks on the Ravens mindset and how I think they'd draft, not who I think is the best necessarily.

For me personally though, I'm not that high on Humphrey. Think he's a back half of the 2nd round player. Wouldn't be mad at him but he was not picked in the first, bur probably would be before Eichenberg if I were to continue building this out.

I've seen the Molden range but not sure I'm fully buying it. He doesn't necessarily have the long speed that other guys in a similar mold have. I like Washington too but would have him going higher in this case.
I read where you said it was more of a projected ravens "esque" draft.
As I consider it, there is a slightly Eric DeCosta style at play.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Simba

eichenberg strikes me as a nice steady RT type candidate - limited in his range to be able to protect the edge against speedier rushers but really technically sound and would likely be a day 1 starter at tackle if we moved Orlando - not sure what position he'd play in 2021 because it's hard to imagine him not being one of the best 5 OL but i dont think he's a natural fit at guard (i could be wrong though i suppose) - low ceiling but would be a steady prospect - 58 is a decent range for him to be taken in

im with you on molden - he's super intelligent but im not sure he's athletic enough (in terms of explosion and fluidity) or good enough deep to be a true slot or a true FS which limits him to the underneath zones a ton - i think he could be a sort of chess piece in dime packages but i dont love the fit

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yeah i dont see the molden range too tbh - he's super smart and great underneath but he's 92nd on my board so 105 seems entirely reasonable as a landing spot to me - not sure im his biggest fan though

i do get the idea with regards to drafting guys that the fanbase wouldnt necessarily be enthused by

but idk how the ravens could pass on Darrisaw if he ever fell to 27 - he's talented enough that you find a way to play him (and maybe even feel comfortable trading away orlando on draft night after you pick him...)

eichenberg is a guy i'd worry about not playing in year 1 with orlando still here - for a 2nd round pick that would be a problem to me - especially when the ceiling's not particularly high

Im not tryon's biggest fan but ultimately i'd get it if he was the guy - he makes some sense in terms of fit and he's very athletic albeit fairly raw as a pass rusher - he definitely fits the profile of the type of guy the ravens would draft (in recent years) on day 2 - he has length and athletic ability and some coverage ability - i guess my worry would be that i dont think he really helps the pass rush much in year 1 because of how raw he is - but this would definitely be a very ravens type of pick - and i've seen it said a ton recently that the NFL is much higher on tryon than media scouts and draft twitter...

i love the pairing of st brown and tamarrion terry - st brown offers you a fairly high floor at the position and the swagger and blocking ability that suggests he'll get himself on the field in year 1 whatever happens - the kind of guy who you'd expect to become a high level route runner as he progresses through his career - would be a great fit to come play the slot/z with hollywood playing all 3 WR positions and watkins playing the slot/x - terry is the exact type of developmental guy you'd love to hand to keith williams and tee martin and say "here's someone to build and develop with almost every tool you could possibly want"

not the biggest fan of molden and im not sure he's actually the best fit for what the ravens want to do and what they look for at CB but i could see him find himself a role in dime packages for sure with some ability to matchup against certain slot receivers and could definitely play nickel on early downs

ive not watched the other 3 guys so couldnt comment

really interesting draft

any reason why you think the ravens would pass on darrisaw?

Simba

Staff Member
yeah i dont see the molden range too tbh - he's super smart and great underneath but he's 92nd on my board so 105 seems entirely reasonable as a landing spot to me - not sure im his biggest fan though

i do get the idea with regards to drafting guys that the fanbase wouldnt necessarily be enthused by

but idk how the ravens could pass on Darrisaw if he ever fell to 27 - he's talented enough that you find a way to play him (and maybe even feel comfortable trading away orlando on draft night after you pick him...)

eichenberg is a guy i'd worry about not playing in year 1 with orlando still here - for a 2nd round pick that would be a problem to me - especially when the ceiling's not particularly high

Im not tryon's biggest fan but ultimately i'd get it if he was the guy - he makes some sense in terms of fit and he's very athletic albeit fairly raw as a pass rusher - he definitely fits the profile of the type of guy the ravens would draft (in recent years) on day 2 - he has length and athletic ability and some coverage ability - i guess my worry would be that i dont think he really helps the pass rush much in year 1 because of how raw he is - but this would definitely be a very ravens type of pick - and i've seen it said a ton recently that the NFL is much higher on tryon than media scouts and draft twitter...

i love the pairing of st brown and tamarrion terry - st brown offers you a fairly high floor at the position and the swagger and blocking ability that suggests he'll get himself on the field in year 1 whatever happens - the kind of guy who you'd expect to become a high level route runner as he progresses through his career - would be a great fit to come play the slot/z with hollywood playing all 3 WR positions and watkins playing the slot/x - terry is the exact type of developmental guy you'd love to hand to keith williams and tee martin and say "here's someone to build and develop with almost every tool you could possibly want"

not the biggest fan of molden and im not sure he's actually the best fit for what the ravens want to do and what they look for at CB but i could see him find himself a role in dime packages for sure with some ability to matchup against certain slot receivers and could definitely play nickel on early downs

ive not watched the other 3 guys so couldnt comment

really interesting draft

any reason why you think the ravens would pass on darrisaw?

Ill speak directly to the Darrisaw question only for now, but I’ve seen some tweets that suggest the league isn’t as high on him as the media is, and that there are some effort concerns. So mostly conjecture based on that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ill speak directly to the Darrisaw question only for now, but I’ve seen some tweets that suggest the league isn’t as high on him as the media is, and that there are some effort concerns. So mostly conjecture based on that.

i can see that - i see some occasional "softness" and "laziness" to his game - but he's supremely talented, athletic, moves extremely well, great in pass pro, great upper body torque to move people - wish he would finish better and play with effort the whole time but partly i think partly he was just able to coast so he did

to me he's a top 10/15 calibre prospect with some effort issues who's too good to pass up long before you get to 27 but at 27 you have to take him if he makes it there...

Simba

Staff Member
i can see that - i see some occasional "softness" and "laziness" to his game - but he's supremely talented, athletic, moves extremely well, great in pass pro, great upper body torque to move people - wish he would finish better and play with effort the whole time but partly i think partly he was just able to coast so he did

to me he's a top 10/15 calibre prospect with some effort issues who's too good to pass up long before you get to 27 but at 27 you have to take him if he makes it there...

Don't get me wrong... I like Darrisaw as well. Lots of good things in his game. Just for the sake of being "realistic" with this mock, I'm following some of the reports and having him fall. But even if he does go early, I'd still think we'll be looking heavily to trade back into that range so not too much change from a mock perspective.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Don't get me wrong... I like Darrisaw as well. Lots of good things in his game. Just for the sake of being "realistic" with this mock, I'm following some of the reports and having him fall. But even if he does go early, I'd still think we'll be looking heavily to trade back into that range so not too much change from a mock perspective.

yeah i dont think he's there ultimately so it doesnt change much - but id be very surprised if we passed on him if he somehow fell there

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
good job, but you need a redo since it's old now that we have traded with K.C. I know you only do one, but make an exception!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Darrisaw reminds me of Trent Williams and has the same effort issues coming out of college, but ultimately Trent Williams turned out to be one of the best LTs in the game. No way we pass on him, if he's available.