• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rap music suggestions, please

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
The discussion in the Ravens off topic forum has me headed over here. I've been wanting some new music to run to. I know next to zero about rap, but do have a few songs that I enjoy. I'm looking for more and thought this was as good as any place to ask for suggestions. I like complex rhythms/time changes, but that's not necessary. I also listen to lyrics so something interesting there is welcome.
Lyrics/themes I'd like to avoid as much as possible: misogyny, N word, narcissism.

Not sure if you are looking for new stuff but I have been giving Eve by Rhapsody a good rinsing of late. Also been listening to Dilated Peoples back catalogue, Expansion Team is a great album. Also been listening to heaps of MF Doom especially his Metal Fingers presents series.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Man, avoiding misogyny, the n word, and narcissism all together is tough to do with rap. Fuck idk, matisyahu or some shit?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
For real though, if you like wit and wordplay and flat out brilliance, lupe fiasco is a good choice, and he’s an intellectual, he’s above the typical rap bravado.

He made this song with the intent of every single line being a double or triple entendre, I’ve heard this song probably over 100 times in my life, read online write ups about it, watched YouTube breakdowns of it, and I still haven’t peeled back all the layers.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
Thanks for the input. Pretty much all suggestions will be new to me, even if they're not actually new songs.
And I'm fine with some of the lyrics I'm not wanting getting in there, but definitely not the theme for nearly every song.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
For real though, if you like wit and wordplay and flat out brilliance, lupe fiasco is a good choice, and he’s an intellectual, he’s above the typical rap bravado.

He made this song with the intent of every single line being a double or triple entendre, I’ve heard this song probably over 100 times in my life, read online write ups about it, watched YouTube breakdowns of it, and I still haven’t peeled back all the layers.

I'll have to check out the lyrics more, but even an old guy like me can't run as slow as that beat. lol

The answer is always Beastie Boys.

Ok, so not everything is new to me. lol Great stuff, just wanted to move into this century a bit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'll have to check out the lyrics more, but even an old guy like me can't run as slow as that beat. lol

Ok, so not everything is new to me. lol Great stuff, just wanted to move into this century a bit.
Can’t rap with that level of complexity if you’re more concerned with speed. Fast does not automatically mean good lol, matter of fact most fast rappers are saying nonsense, picking a syllable to rhyme and then throwing a bunch of filler words in the middle, speed rapping is crutch 9 times out of 10. Tech n9ne, big pun, twista, krayzie bone, and bizzy bone are the first speed rappers that come to mind who are(or were at one point) actually good lyricists.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
Can’t rap with that level of complexity if you’re more concerned with speed. Fast does not automatically mean good lol, matter of fact most fast rappers are saying nonsense, picking a syllable to rhyme and then throwing a bunch of filler words in the middle, speed rapping is crutch 9 times out of 10. Tech n9ne, big pun, twista, krayzie bone, and bizzy bone are the first speed rappers that come to mind who are(or were at one point) actually good lyricists.

Fair enough. I'm just trying to expand my musical horizons and all of this is helpful. Listening to the same (in my case old) stuff all the time is uninspiring. I've found some rap works well, at least short term. I checked out techno a while back and found a song or two that worked, but that was it. Even looking a little at death metal. A couple of Opeth songs have some promise. I think that's old stuff, too. Though again, not old to me.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just gonna suggest some lesser known artists you should check out, but if you want specific song suggestions then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Aesop Rock
Blackalicious
Dessa
Tonedeff
Madvillain
Marlowe
Cannibal Ox
Atmosphere
Cunninlynguists