• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Tweak the current cap....

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I understand the league wants a leveled out league. However this isn't baseball where you plug a player into the lineup. Football takes a year at least to learn a system and transition into it. Be it offensive line, linebacker, TE, WR whatever. All this player musical chairs waters the league down. Torry a one trick pony who connected with Flacco and got comfortable in short order was useless to SanFrancisco and it's QBs. Often free agents do not help their new team as much as hurt its former team.

An idea is a hometown discount. Not from the player but the league. Like every year in addition to a franchise tag there could be one player his contract is discounted from the cap. Maybe even a smaller discount that can be counted for every player drafted by his original team. Any thoughts and ideas?

I like the idea of competitive parity, but I think it comes down to QB development to close the gap, we need an active D-League for football. Take Tom Brady for example, his career might not have happened if Bledsoe hadnt been injured, so how many Tom Bradys slipped through the cracks because nobody knew and they didnt get a shot?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I like the idea of competitive parity, but I think it comes down to QB development to close the gap, we need an active D-League for football. Take Tom Brady for example, his career might not have happened if Bledsoe hadnt been injured, so how many Tom Bradys slipped through the cracks because nobody knew and they didnt get a shot?
The 2011 CBA certainly didn't help. Players can't practice until OTAs begin. This is worse for Rookie qbs. Especially from year one to year two when you know what you have to work on, but can't because of the CBA rules prohibit practicing with coaches until OTAs begin.

I don't have a problem with parity and one of th ways some teams including us are working it with some degrees of success are using the comp pics to increase the percentage of success.

I agree in having a d league, but doubt that ever happens. The practice squad is the closest thing we are going to get to a d league. I do believe to combat this the league could increase team size by a couple players and have a couple more players on the active roster due to the amount of injuries being much more than what it was years ago.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
The 2011 CBA certainly didn't help. Players can't practice until OTAs begin. This is worse for Rookie qbs. Especially from year one to year two when you know what you have to work on, but can't because of the CBA rules prohibit practicing with coaches until OTAs begin.

I don't have a problem with parity and one of th ways some teams including us are working it with some degrees of success are using the comp pics to increase the percentage of success.

I agree in having a d league, but doubt that ever happens. The practice squad is the closest thing we are going to get to a d league. I do believe to combat this the league could increase team size by a couple players and have a couple more players on the active roster due to the amount of injuries being much more than what it was years ago.

A bigger practice squad could allow fully padded practice squad practices around the league where practice squadders all combine a couple games a year and padded practices. Not sure it is needed however cuz a practice squad player gets activated if he impresses. The league would probably counter that not many practice squadders make it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
A bigger practice squad could allow fully padded practice squad practices around the league where practice squadders all combine a couple games a year and padded practices. Not sure it is needed however cuz a practice squad player gets activated if he impresses. The league would probably counter that not many practice squadders make it.
Allowing fully padded practices would help, but that is limited in the cba as well. It's a big part of why the players are such bad tacklers in the NFL and why it's such a plus that Humphries can tackle. Not trying to change topics.

Of course having a larger practic squad and larger roster will also contribute to the watering down of the league. Too many teams and too many injuries have contribute to this as well. Add in that the average career is less than 4 yrs and they doesn't help.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Allowing fully padded practices would help, but that is limited in the cba as well. It's a big part of why the players are such bad tacklers in the NFL and why it's such a plus that Humphries can tackle. Not trying to change topics.

Of course having a larger practic squad and larger roster will also contribute to the watering down of the league. Too many teams and too many injuries have contribute to this as well. Add in that the average career is less than 4 yrs and they doesn't help.

Absolutely. And I like Humphreys tackling. I like him at SS actually he tackles so well and has great instincts when 20 yards and in. Anyways there has to be some kinda incentive and method to give team players and opportunity fir more players to play on their original team.

I like a 10% cap discount for a player signing with his original team. Like if he signs a 5 yr $50mil contract then $5mil of that could get discounted off the cap somewhere. So many free agents don't help their new team as much as hurt their original team. So many ravens are excellent examples. Ellerbe, Hartwell,Baxter,Brown,Thomas to name a couple. And it waters everything down. I like free agency but not to extent of watering down the league.

The problem is theres only so many snaps to go around at QB so theres little to no opportunities for gaining game experience, if you sink out of the gate you're likely to get dropped.

As for the original post, I think the best teams would benefit the most by taking their franchise QBs $20M+ salary off the books.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't believe this would work since the agents would screw it up mainly by asking for higher contracts for other players since you know you got the room.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I don't believe this would work since the agents would screw it up mainly by asking for higher contracts for other players since you know you got the room.

Pretty similar to what they're doing now knowing the cap seems to increase year on year. All the increased cap has done is increase prices across the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
GMs still set the market, recently we've seen that theyre more than willing to move on if agents play hardball.
GMs do set the market, but there is always a team out there that is willing to overspend and it affects every team in the long run. Plus the agents don't help out one bit.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I actually think the hometown discount is a good idea, but maybe tweak where you can either use the Franchise tag or the Hometown Tag. If the hometown tag is used then maybe subtract 20% of said contract from the cap. I just dont know how it would work from year to year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I actually think the hometown discount is a good idea, but maybe tweak where you can either use the Franchise tag or the Hometown Tag. If the hometown tag is used then maybe subtract 20% of said contract from the cap. I just dont know how it would work from year to year.
I certainly don't see that happening. The tag is a team option and a hindrance to the player. There is no way they agree to something that actually helps the team out or makes it easier for them to use. If used for a 2nd straight yr, then the tag is 20% more. With this discount it is the same cost.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad

This. Also, I question whether it would truly change the cap impact or if we'd actually see players salaries become inflated instead. For instance, does a team pay a top tier QB $30M/year knowing the cap hit will only be $24M/year. I can see it being abused and once it is used in this way there is no going back.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I certainly don't see that happening. The tag is a team option and a hindrance to the player. There is no way they agree to something that actually helps the team out or makes it easier for them to use. If used for a 2nd straight yr, then the tag is 20% more. With this discount it is the same cost.
Not what i mean. On the Hometown Tag, everything would be the same as far as who gets what money, the difference would be that the league would discount the contract off of the cap.

Lets use Bwill for example since he just got this big contract and lets just say its 5 years at 12mill. The amount of money that Bwill receives would not change, what would change is how much of his salary counts against the cap. That being said, the savings would be pretty minimal, even at 20%, which would be 2.4 at first glance, but this would also give incentives to teams to front load contracts to get a bigger discount. It would all depend on how contracts are made.

Obviously, i dont see any changes happening to the system and this is merely something to pass the time. Also i suck at salary cap stuff.
[doublepost=1494799030,1494798946][/doublepost]
This. Also, I question whether it would truly change the cap impact or if we'd actually see players salaries become inflated instead. For instance, does a team pay a top tier QB $30M/year knowing the cap hit will only be $24M/year. I can see it being abused and once it is used in this way there is no going back.
Just like any other circumstances though, the team does not have to pay the player. Thats basically happening already

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not what i mean. On the Hometown Tag, everything would be the same as far as who gets what money, the difference would be that the league would discount the contract off of the cap.

Lets use Bwill for example since he just got this big contract and lets just say its 5 years at 12mill. The amount of money that Bwill receives would not change, what would change is how much of his salary counts against the cap. That being said, the savings would be pretty minimal, even at 20%, which would be 2.4 at first glance, but this would also give incentives to teams to front load contracts to get a bigger discount. It would all depend on how contracts are made.

Obviously, i dont see any changes happening to the system and this is merely something to pass the time. Also i suck at salary cap stuff.
[doublepost=1494799030,1494798946][/doublepost]
Just like any other circumstances though, the team does not have to pay the player. Thats basically happening already
I understood what you were saying, but teams would be more willing to pay it knowing they would have that 20% off. That definitely wouldn't fly.