• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

PFF Roster Review

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I'll take no credit for this because none of it came from me but a guy on the Uk Ravens FB page assembled it and i thought it was interesting so I'm reposting it all here...

"So, another boring day in the Scottish highlands has resulted in me being nerdy. I have made a spreadsheet with PFF's overall rating for each Ravens player and where they rank against other players of that position around the league. I don't have a subscription for PFF but I went through each players individual profile and noted the numbers that were available without subscription.

I would recommend looking at the numbers for Alex Collins, might surprise you. Both Offense and Defense are done, they are just on different tabs in the spreadsheet.

There are quite a few numbers here that I would disagree with and I do maintain that PFF's grading matrix is by no means a 100% accurate metric.

The players highlighted in Black are rookies and the players with N/A attached to their ranking do not have enough data available to rank them against other players."

I couldnt get the file to attach so i had to host it on a google drive (do you trust me lol)... link is below (let me know if the permissions arent working)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvPugfxfewv7Mr7BVmrQZPVRQ9r54OwQ/view?usp=sharing

RayRayRaven

Veteran
So I'll take no credit for this because none of it came from me but a guy on the Uk Ravens FB page assembled it and i thought it was interesting so I'm reposting it all here...

"So, another boring day in the Scottish highlands has resulted in me being nerdy. I have made a spreadsheet with PFF's overall rating for each Ravens player and where they rank against other players of that position around the league. I don't have a subscription for PFF but I went through each players individual profile and noted the numbers that were available without subscription.

I would recommend looking at the numbers for Alex Collins, might surprise you. Both Offense and Defense are done, they are just on different tabs in the spreadsheet.

There are quite a few numbers here that I would disagree with and I do maintain that PFF's grading matrix is by no means a 100% accurate metric.

The players highlighted in Black are rookies and the players with N/A attached to their ranking do not have enough data available to rank them against other players."

I couldnt get the file to attach so i had to host it on a google drive (do you trust me lol)... link is below (let me know if the permissions arent working)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvPugfxfewv7Mr7BVmrQZPVRQ9r54OwQ/view?usp=sharing

you have way too much time on your hands! Way too much!

I was dead set against signing Brandon Williams and PFF says Michael Pierce is his equal on their stats. Didn't need PFF to tell me this. Anyone that wasn't eyeballing it just wasn't watching. Our record setting rushing yards against per carry this year supports that Williams was a bad resign. Having written ozze a letter laying out why we should not resign Brandon Williams, I'm not surprised at PFF's similar opinion. Nor am I surprised that ozze ignored my advice, because he always does and always fucks up.

Almost everything else in the PFF stats is horseshit, though stanley grades out as I graded him pre draft, mediogre at best. Collins grades where I see him as well, and PFF has our receivers and TE's well tabbed. After that its all downhill for PFF. Mosely is better than graded. Flacco is worse than graded. His yards per attempt is pathetic and its not because guys like Chris Moore triple clutch his throws, its because JoeJoe rarely puts a ball right on stride. PFF safety grades are a joke. Incredulous. As is the inane grade for Humpf.

God help us....or at least clear some of the fog out of old ozze's eyes. Foolish prayer if god cared about football players he'd outlaw the game.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
tumblr_o0iaa7r7ev1uewx7xo1_400.gif

The Raven

Veteran
There are some grades I disagree with -- mainly Ryan Jensen and Matt Judon -- but I do think this is a pretty fair assessment of where we are. It reinforces my assessment of the defense: that our secondary was good, our LBs are mediocre, our OLBs are slow in development, and that Willie Henry needs to start next year and be allowed to go do whatever he wants. He was wasted at points this year, when he should be on the field and allowed to penetrate at all times.

It counters my season-long belief that our WRs couldn't possibly be this bad. Clearly, they were and are. It validates my belief that our TEs were awful across the board (and we all need Joe needs TEs). I think Skura got a raw deal, but Hurst really was that bad. Overall, I think Howard's and Stanleys' grades are fair. Whatever they did in the run game was countered by several horrid games of pass protection.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There are some grades I disagree with -- mainly Ryan Jensen and Matt Judon -- but I do think this is a pretty fair assessment of where we are. It reinforces my assessment of the defense: that our secondary was good, our LBs are mediocre, our OLBs are slow in development, and that Willie Henry needs to start next year and be allowed to go do whatever he wants. He was wasted at points this year, when he should be on the field and allowed to penetrate at all times.

It counters my season-long belief that our WRs couldn't possibly be this bad. Clearly, they were and are. It validates my belief that our TEs were awful across the board (and we all need Joe needs TEs). I think Skura got a raw deal, but Hurst really was that bad. Overall, I think Howard's and Stanleys' grades are fair. Whatever they did in the run game was countered by several horrid games of pass protection.
A one gap penetrating scheme may help players like Henry

The Raven

Veteran
A one gap penetrating scheme may help players like Henry
A one gap penetrating scheme would help everyone on the roster except for our linebackers, but I'd rather have a disruptive dline even if it makes our backers a liability. A disruptive line changes games. Linebackers don't change games enough for me to prefer a gap control/contain dline.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
A one gap penetrating scheme would help everyone on the roster except for our linebackers, but I'd rather have a disruptive dline even if it makes our backers a liability. A disruptive line changes games. Linebackers don't change games enough for me to prefer a gap control/contain dline.
Yes agreed. I mentioned Henry because you mentioned him in your post, but it would absolutely help everyone on the dL.