• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pees Taking Job as Titans DC

The Raven

Veteran
Dean's wishy-washiness aside, it says an awful lot about Pees for Vrabel, a guy who played under Pees, to ask Pees out of retirement to be DC.

Clearly, players respect Pees. Clearly, Pees has a strong reputation in the NFL. It's clear, once again, that Pees-bashing fans are probably out of their depth.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dean's wishy-washiness aside, it says an awful lot about Pees for Vrabel, a guy who played under Pees, to ask Pees out of retirement to be DC.

Clearly, players respect Pees. Clearly, Pees has a strong reputation in the NFL. It's clear, once again, that Pees-bashing fans are probably out of their depth.
Pees bashing isn't unfounded, overdone, maybe. But not unfounded.

This is indeed strange. The only reasonable explanations are 1) He didn't want to retire and was forced out, 2) He never really wanted to retire and used retirement as a way to ease out of Baltimore rather than straight up quit 3) He intended on retiring, but when a job came available with his son and with a former player and close friend as an HC, he decided to quickly come out of retirement.

1) might make sense, but given the fact that rumors were floating for weeks before the end of the season make it seem unlikely. 2) I don't really think this would make sense either ... I mean, I don't think rumors of retirement would have been any sort of a smoke screen for a easy way to quit.

So I guess it has to be #3.

Most of it is unfounded. Some folks like you have legitimate grievances. The vast majority of complaints are not only unfounded but misinformed and pathetic.
I'm not sure what is or isn't unfounded, misinformed or pathetic.

It seems pretty simple. The complaints are related to collapsing at the end of games instead of finish out the wins - even after that was stated as a point of emphasis after it happened last year.

I don't view complaining about that as being any of those 3 things.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what is or isn't unfounded, misinformed or pathetic.

It seems pretty simple. The complaints are related to collapsing at the end of games instead of finish out the wins - even after that was stated as a point of emphasis after it happened last year.

I don't view complaining about that as being any of those 3 things.
Apart from that, I have a big complaint about Pees' inability to step back from his overly complex and complicated schemes, no matter the personel. Sometimes, most of the time actually, less is more.

K-Dog

MVP
This is indeed strange. The only reasonable explanations are 1) He didn't want to retire and was forced out, 2) He never really wanted to retire and used retirement as a way to ease out of Baltimore rather than straight up quit 3) He intended on retiring, but when a job came available with his son and with a former player and close friend as an HC, he decided to quickly come out of retirement.

1) might make sense, but given the fact that rumors were floating for weeks before the end of the season make it seem unlikely. 2) I don't really think this would make sense either ... I mean, I don't think rumors of retirement would have been any sort of a smoke screen for a easy way to quit.

So I guess it has to be #3.

Yeah, I would hang my hat on three as well.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Pees legitimately was going to retire, but the Titans job just became a perfect situation for him since he'll get to help out one of his favorite former players and he'll get a chance to coach with his son. I don't think there's any "conspiracy" theories to be had with this development.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Pees legitimately was going to retire, but the Titans job just became a perfect situation for him since he'll get to help out one of his favorite former players and he'll get a chance to coach with his son. I don't think there's any "conspiracy" theories to be had with this development.
Interesting enough, he took the job before his son was in the picture and said he would've taken the job regardless of his son on the staff or not. It was just an extra bonus.

Last edited:

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting enough, he took the job before his son was in the picture and said he would've taken the job regardless of his son on the staff. It was just an extra bonus.

Yeah, I read about that. He also realized that he really missed the game after only a few weeks which made the Vrabel pitch finally work for him. Regardless, I think this scenario is best for all parties involved. Pees gets to start fresh with a new team and we get to see what Wink can do to improve the defense. Hopefully it works out for everyone (unless the Titans are playing the Ravens, of course lol).

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Meanwhile, Chuck Pagano is still a free agent to sign anywhere he wishes, right? I find that interesting. As for Pees, he was never a bad DC but I’d never call him a great one either. His complex schemes helped beat guys like Brady but they also caused us to lose to lesser guys too because the players often just weren’t capable of executing his schemes at times.