• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Scouting Report: Courtland Sutton

After a further look to Sutton, my doubts have been confirmed.
He was actually misused at SMU. I prefere him attacking the middle of the field due to his ability to maintain speed through changing patterns, instead of asking him to rum hitches, comebacks and go-to routes. Not really a creative eviroment for a guy who, despite his size, struggles to locate, go up for the ball and win contested catches. QB abysmal play didn't do him any favour, of course, but the outcome of many bad plays were affected by his bad habits rather than anybody else.
In conclusion, I would say he's the definition of raw and I don't think he should go in the top 50.

Problem 1:
Hands
It's not like I'm overreacting, the guy catches something like 70% of his completion either as if he were to catch a punt or with an awkward hands placement.
I guess this is the clearest example
View attachment 541
Ball passes right through his hands..
View attachment 550

He constantly places his body in the direction of the throw, right in front of the ball. Problem is, he doesn't reach his arms for it. Lowers them and lets it bounce against his number before he can secure it.
View attachment 542
View attachment 543
Here for example he's in perfect position. Inside release and leverage, good throw, CB 2 yards behind View attachment 545
Doesn't sicure it as it bounces against the chest for an incomplete pass.
View attachment 544
Now, this is a bad habit because, as we know, the timing and the speed of NFL cornerbacks hits will not allow all of those body catches to become completions.
It's a bad attitude especially because it's paired with his passiveness while playing in the endzone and along the sideline (second problem).
He'll never anticipate by gaining a better position in front of defenders, let alone go through their frame.
Even when he's in position and the corner is late he can screw up an easy TD

Deep in the endzone, alone waiting for the ball View attachment 547
Doesn't go back for it. Doesn't attack. He's waiting for it to be at man's hight. Result is obvious
View attachment 546

He's again waiting for it. I don't even care if he doesn't bring it down. Problem is his mindset, the ability to read the situation and take a shot at it.
View attachment 549
View attachment 548

There's a ton of proofs about these issues.
Another thing is his tendency to blatantly push the corner before to turn on a comeback route and similar. I've seen him doing it at least 4 times. I'm just not posting it because it would get annoying with too many examples and I'd like to make a one page review on every WR.

All said and done, he can be a pretty good player, although inconsistent, like Demaryius Thomas but I don't see a high ceiling with him. I'd say mid-late 2nd would be fine.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sutton to me is a taller less physical version of Kamar Aiken lol thats his game, he plays like a possession guy. Im not seeing his potential anymore. Hes athletic but soft as toilet paper. I see more from Gallup than i do Sutton.

Meanwhile Daniel Jeremiah says about Sutton: "He uses his size/strength combination to win a lot of 50/50 balls. Sutton is a matchup nightmare in the red zone. He easily boxes out defenders, times his jump and catches the ball at the highest point."

I mean.. Did he even watch any tape or did he just rely on the stats/measurables and assumed everything else?

Sutton to me is a taller less physical version of Kamar Aiken lol thats his game, he plays like a possession guy. Im not seeing his potential anymore. Hes athletic but soft as toilet paper. I see more from Gallup than i do Sutton.

Indeed! Oh Gallup is a heck of a competitor in comparison.. I'll watch him more carefully this coming week end

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Indeed! Oh Gallup is a heck of a competitor in comparison.. I'll watch him more carefully this coming week end

So far I think Gallup is criminally underrated. Chark is raw but my opinion his roof is off the charts. Once coached up he is gonna be tough to cover.