• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Charlie Kolar

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it's not uncommon for teams to create outs for themselves with free agent vets at a position
they definitely didnt do it knowing that they'd get a guy they "really wanted" at 101 in the draft... im not saying they didnt like ruckert and im not saying that they wont let those guys go if he makes a step, im disagreeing with the idea that they knew they were getting ruckert before they signed those veterans and that's why they designed them with 1 year outs... which is also untrue anyway as uzomah's deal doesn't have an out after 1 year

and if your argument is that 3 year deals have outs after 2 years and that that's somehow special or creative... that's basically every multi-year contract ever handed out by every NFL team ever except for kirk cousins and deshaun watson...
you beat me to it. I was just looking at the overthecap. It's nothing unusual where Conklin and Uzomah get cut in year 3. As a matter of fact the Jets can cut Conklin year 2 and save 1.2m and in year 3 save 8+m on Uzomah.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
it's not uncommon for teams to create outs for themselves with free agent vets at a position
they definitely didnt do it knowing that they'd get a guy they "really wanted" at 101 in the draft... im not saying they didnt like ruckert and im not saying that they wont let those guys go if he makes a step, im disagreeing with the idea that they knew they were getting ruckert before they signed those veterans and that's why they designed them with 1 year outs... which is also untrue anyway as uzomah's deal doesn't have an out after 1 year

and if your argument is that 3 year deals have outs after 2 years and that that's somehow special or creative... that's basically every multi-year contract ever handed out by every NFL team ever except for kirk cousins and deshaun watson...
You're not listening. I didn't say that there was an easy out after year 1. I said after TWO years. After TWO years, both Uzomah and Conklin can be cut (if they so choose, remains to be seen) and the Jets get a net gain in salary cap space. It's normal for JD to structure contracts that way. So if you wanted to say he does that with all of his picks, I would agree. But based pretty much on the Jets team, Ron Middleton, Robert Saleh, Joe Douglas, Jets scouting staff, they wanted Jeremy Ruckert. They believed he could surpass both Uzomah and Conklin in time. The Jets had their board for the 3rd round and it included Jeremy Ruckert along with many other players they viewed as good value in the 3rd round. Jeremy Ruckert topped their list. I think it's safe to say Joe Douglas would have taken Ruckert at pick number 69 which was the Jets original 3rd round pick going into the draft. After the Jets traded back into the 1st round to acquire Jermaine Johnson. They hoped Ruckert would still be there at 101 which is the pick they got back from Tennessee. Joe Douglas knew he needed to fill an otherwise empty TE room this offseason. JD knew there were quite a few decent, not great TE prospects in this draft. Ron Middleton was assigned the job of coaching in the senior bowl to get an up close look at the tight ends there. They chose Jeremy Ruckert over Kolar, Likely, and a few other prospects that were considered to be decent picks. But they wanted Jeremy Ruckert above all of them....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You're not listening. I didn't say that there was an easy out after year 1. I said after TWO years. After TWO years, both Uzomah and Conklin can be cut (if they so choose, remains to be seen) and the Jets get a net gain in salary cap space. It's normal for JD to structure contracts that way. So if you wanted to say he does that with all of his picks, I would agree. But based pretty much on the Jets team, Ron Middleton, Robert Saleh, Joe Douglas, Jets scouting staff, they wanted Jeremy Ruckert. They believed he could surpass both Uzomah and Conklin in time. The Jets had their board for the 3rd round and it included Jeremy Ruckert along with many other players they viewed as good value in the 3rd round. Jeremy Ruckert topped their list. I think it's safe to say Joe Douglas would have taken Ruckert at pick number 69 which was the Jets original 3rd round pick going into the draft. After the Jets traded back into the 1st round to acquire Jermaine Johnson. They hoped Ruckert would still be there at 101 which is the pick they got back from Tennessee. Joe Douglas knew he needed to fill an otherwise empty TE room this offseason. JD knew there were quite a few decent, not great TE prospects in this draft. Ron Middleton was assigned the job of coaching in the senior bowl to get an up close look at the tight ends there. They chose Jeremy Ruckert over Kolar, Likely, and a few other prospects that were considered to be decent picks. But they wanted Jeremy Ruckert above all of them....
but this is normal. That's not specific language that is put in a contract, that is the guarantees running out. If you look at his contract, Conklin can actually be cut after year 1 with a 1.2m savings. JD didn't put any specific language in the contract that was any different than any other team in the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i guess my point then is... so what?
this is the normal process of like 95% of NFL teams in both contract language and team-building...

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Well if he makes his debut tomorrow, hopefully this will begin the same career projection as Andrews.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
When are we gonna get to see Kolar?
Kolar and Ojabo for that matter were injured throughout the offseason and training camp and they have never been through an NFL offseason for that matter due to both being rookies. They are just getting up to speed. I believe we will see Ojabo sooner than Kolar due to Likely being ahead of him.