• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Put your Joe Douglas hat on.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Now, I ask you to be the Jets GM and place some REASONABLE expectations for your QB. Knowing where this team came from just a few short years ago being the very least talented team in the league. But also knowing that you've damn near completely overhauled the roster. You still have weaknesses at Linebacker, Safety, Fullback, Kicker, and Punter, but the rest of the team will probably have healthy competition for starting rights. You realize you have a coaching staff that's only in their second year, but more than anything you realize your players have almost never played together. There's ZERO chemistry in areas like OL, DL, Linebackers, QB/WR, QB/TE.....

With that said, and understanding there are much higher expectations put forth by the fanbase. This is a pretty talented and super young offensive core.

What should Zachs numbers look like? What is going to convince you that selecting Zach Wilson was the right choice for the Jets? You put these expectations forth knowing that Zach really did not play as well as you thought he would. He just took a contender in Tampa right down to the wire before losing late in the season with almost no supporting cast. He threw zero interceptions in his last 5 games.

I'll start....
Completion Percentage MUST be somewhere north of 60%.
He MUST have 20 to as many as 35 touchdowns.
He MUST limit his turnovers (not just interceptions but fumbles as well) to less than 10.
He MUST throw for at least 3,000 yards.
He MUST have a QB rating better than 85.
The Jets as a team absolutely MUST be playing meaningful games, games with playoff implications in DECEMBER.

Those, assuming he stays healthy and plays ALL 17 games, I think are very reasonable numbers. It's shows a good, healthy jump forward for a QB that's doing everything right. A QB that from all outward appearances looks to be ascending into the franchise QB role....

What do you say? Am I an idiot for thinking Zach can produce these kinds of numbers?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think it's much less about numbers as it is about being situationally effective - he needs to demonstrate significant improvement, probably take on some leadership and he needs to make better decisions

the numbers are much less important than his general decision-making

as you say... he has to have shown some signs that he's improving and there have to be some flashes that suggest he can be a franchise calibre QB - the peaks of his play have to excite you to make you want to continue to invest and commit to him

i dont think there's any number-based levels i'd need him to hit - he just needs to be better

Mainejet

Practice Squad
i think it's much less about numbers as it is about being situationally effective - he needs to demonstrate significant improvement, probably take on some leadership and he needs to make better decisions

the numbers are much less important than his general decision-making

as you say... he has to have shown some signs that he's improving and there have to be some flashes that suggest he can be a franchise calibre QB - the peaks of his play have to excite you to make you want to continue to invest and commit to him

i dont think there's any number-based levels i'd need him to hit - he just needs to be better
NOT TRUE. In regards to leadership, there isn't a single player on the team that doesn't believe in him. He's taken offseason trips flying to his WR's hometown to practice with them and build chemistry and camaraderie. In fact, the Jets just broke from OTA's but Wilson and Garrett Wilson opted to stay in NY to work on plays and chemistry. He routinely meets up with his teammates, including his newest teammates after work. Zach Wilson has done nothing short of OWN his job. Now, his play must improve or else he'll lose his leadership mantra. Players lead by example. But it's inane to think he's been anything but the ultimate leader since being drafted by the Jets...
FVVhzdeXsBQpwsD.jpeg
braxton-berrios-sophia-2.jpg

rossihunter2

Staff Member
NOT TRUE. In regards to leadership, there isn't a single player on the team that doesn't believe in him. He's taken offseason trips flying to his WR's hometown to practice with them and build chemistry and camaraderie. In fact, the Jets just broke from OTA's but Wilson and Garrett Wilson opted to stay in NY to work on plays and chemistry. He routinely meets up with his teammates, including his newest teammates after work. Zach Wilson has done nothing short of OWN his job. Now, his play must improve or else he'll lose his leadership mantra. Players lead by example. But it's inane to think he's been anything but the ultimate leader since being drafted by the Jets... View attachment 3840 View attachment 3841

i wasnt saying he's a bad leader at all
but there's a difference between being a rookie QB with talent who does and says all the right things and gets involved and makes all these gestures

and becoming more of an intangible leader in the locker room where your voice naturally resonates

Mainejet

Practice Squad
i wasnt saying he's a bad leader at all
but there's a difference between being a rookie QB with talent who does and says all the right things and gets involved and makes all these gestures

and becoming more of an intangible leader in the locker room where your voice naturally resonates
It already does and his teammates acknowledge it, but like I said his numbers must absolutely go up if he wants to maintain his leadership status. The numbers, the high level play, is the only thing missing for him....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Now, I ask you to be the Jets GM and place some REASONABLE expectations for your QB. Knowing where this team came from just a few short years ago being the very least talented team in the league. But also knowing that you've damn near completely overhauled the roster. You still have weaknesses at Linebacker, Safety, Fullback, Kicker, and Punter, but the rest of the team will probably have healthy competition for starting rights. You realize you have a coaching staff that's only in their second year, but more than anything you realize your players have almost never played together. There's ZERO chemistry in areas like OL, DL, Linebackers, QB/WR, QB/TE.....

With that said, and understanding there are much higher expectations put forth by the fanbase. This is a pretty talented and super young offensive core.

What should Zachs numbers look like? What is going to convince you that selecting Zach Wilson was the right choice for the Jets? You put these expectations forth knowing that Zach really did not play as well as you thought he would. He just took a contender in Tampa right down to the wire before losing late in the season with almost no supporting cast. He threw zero interceptions in his last 5 games.

I'll start....
Completion Percentage MUST be somewhere north of 60%.
He MUST have 20 to as many as 35 touchdowns.
He MUST limit his turnovers (not just interceptions but fumbles as well) to less than 10.
He MUST throw for at least 3,000 yards.
He MUST have a QB rating better than 85.
The Jets as a team absolutely MUST be playing meaningful games, games with playoff implications in DECEMBER.

Those, assuming he stays healthy and plays ALL 17 games, I think are very reasonable numbers. It's shows a good, healthy jump forward for a QB that's doing everything right. A QB that from all outward appearances looks to be ascending into the franchise QB role....

What do you say? Am I an idiot for thinking Zach can produce these kinds of numbers?
lol, if you wanted to be the Jets GM you should have played our Forum Mock game and been the JETS GM. I'll make sure you play the game next off season.