• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Will the real Denzel Mims please stand up?

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Truly a tale of two different players or so it would appear...

Joe drafted Mims in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft and pretty much every Jets fan was clamoring to get him. He came to the Jets and was basically considered to be the future of the organization. A major building block. In his rookie year he was injured quite a bit but played pretty much the last half of the year. He wasn't very successful as he was playing for Adam Gase, but when they went to him the talent was there you could see it. He really flashed at times catching contested balls and showed a real ability for YAC. Overall, Jets fans were confident he was our future.

Then last year happened.....

He missed considerable time and was hospitalized with food poisoning. He ate some Salmon and it really didn't agree with him. He lost almost 15 pounds in a week. Prior to that he got COVID and had to be quarantined during OTA's. When he finally joined the team in training camp he was working with the 3rd string. His lack of knowledge of LaFleurs offense limited his reps. He simply had a VERY hard time grasping the offense as he was responsible for knowing what every WR was doing and he really didn't know. He played like SHIT and there's really no way to sugar coat it. He was AWFUL and then some. It was so bad that he didn't even know where to line up when the CS sent him out there. He got the Jets offense in Many unfavorable spots as he consistently would get penalized for false starts and illegal formation penalties. What's worse is even when he did line up correctly he dropped so many passes. It was so bad it was like he forgot how to catch the fucking football? Ultimately, everyone including myself, lost all respect for him. Everyone said going into the offseason he Joe should trade him for a 6th and move on.

Well, he's still a Jet. He's shown up in OTA"s as a muscular freak. He's literally in the very best shape of his life. He flashed in a big way at OTA's. He's been praised by the CS. Going into TC he's expected to compete at the very back end of the roster. The roster is already pretty set in stone. In some kind of order you've got Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, and Braxton Berrios. I doubt he'll make any noise within the top 4? Assuming the Jets retain 6 WR's, Mims might be able to edge out Jeff Smith for the 5th spot? The very positive Jets fans think if he plays his cards correctly he could make Corey Davis expendable after this season as JD has an easy out of his contract after this year.

All I really want to know is... WTH is he?! Is the very gifted player we saw in 2020 with miles of potential or is he the train wreck we saw last season? He's definitely got the pedigree. That's for sure. I'm just not sure he'll ever get it between his ears?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Many on PF were pounding the table for Mims and I'm as perplexed as you are with what happened to Mims last year. He played well when he was healthy as you said. I think he can make a turnaround and would love it if we could trade a pick for Mims. Of course at this point, I wouldn't trade that much, but definitely a mid round pick (4th / 5th rounder).