• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Free Agency "recap" #1

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Free Agent Acquisitions Week #1.

For those of you with no sense of humor, my birthday mock was an utter joke and tradition. I always put out a mock with little to no effort and this was no exception. I honestly like everyone I drafted, but the trade was unrealistic and we are probably better off making a move the rest of you aren’t thinking about. Which is fine, I will take it. Needless to say. Let me do an early FA evaluation of the two players we signed and how well they are going to fit here. Needless to say, I’ve watched a fair bit of their tape (very familiar with Crabtree as I have watched a ton of Raiders games, given that I lived in the Bay Area and they are a primary rival of where I live in now in Colorado), and have always been a fan of both John Brown and Crabtree as players.

Free Agency Evaluations

John Brown, WR:

What he brings to the table: Anybody who looks at John Brown and only sees a deep threat has utterly missed the point. John Brown is not your typical Torrey Smith, Mike Wallace, Kenny Stills one trick pony deep threat. In fact, his hands are a lot better than any of those players and while all three of those guys are certainly capable of beating Brown in a straight line race, Brown is certainly more explosive than any of them.

In fact, if we’re totally honest, he’s a more complete player than any of them could hope to be. Brown is a threat at every level of the defense. While he is an elite deep threat when he is healthy, and automatically commands safety attention when he’s on the field because of this, he’s not nearly as limited. In fact, I’d say his route running ability is pretty good, even for NFL standards. He doesn’t win off of just quickness and athleticism, there’s some technical ability when it comes to him. Keep in mind this: he’s different than any deep threat we’ve had before solely because of this. He’s a far more competent route runner than Torrey or Mike ever were and he gets open deep just as frequently.

Another plus ability that makes him different than any “deep threat” WR we’ve had before. He adjusts to underthrows AND overthrows better than any deep ball WR in the game currently. Flacco’s deep ball accuracy’s decline has been a lowkey reason why we’ve struggled. This won’t help him improve his accuracy but this might help us for other reasons. We might get more completions solely because of Brown’s ability to adjust. Current NFL prospect James Washington flashes this ability as well, which is why I think Washington is the definition of an ideal fit in Baltimore. So when you add a guy who is legitimately a commanding deep ball threat to a competent to good threat in the intermediate, that makes him a better player than Wallace or Torrey could have ever hoped to be here.

After the catch? Dude is explosive and capable. As you would expect from a player of this type. His burst makes him a threat.

My favorite reason for this acquisition: The hands. They aren’t some otherworldly amazing pair of mits ala Anquan Boldin or Larry Fitzgerald or Deandre Hopkins(who for my money has the best pair of mits in the game right now). But he’s very reliable. He won’t put too many on the ground if the ball is thrown to him somewhat accurately. In fact, his hands aren’t solid, they’re good. He’s made some really tough catches in tight coverage over the middle and it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. He’s great at adjusting.

Why do I love this acquisition? Solid route runner, great at adjustments, gets separation, willing to go over the middle, explosive. He’s not a #1 WR by any stretch, but when he was healthy he was one of the most underrated receivers in the game and one of the top #2 options. You want to play him outside? He can do that and do that well. In the slot? The #3 corner is going to have his hands full.

Negatives: Obviously the injury history over the past two seasons is a gargantuan red flag. But it’s also been a massive red flag for everyone on the Cardinals over the past few years. So much so that the Cardinals had to play a backup Quarterback for a decent portion of the year, which obviously was going to have an effect. Not to mention, he’s not a #1. His hands, route running, and ability after the catch are all good, but none of these traits are particularly elite.

That said, Brown is one of the most lowkey acquisitions of any team in the offseason and has the potential to be a massive steal for us. And since the contract is pretty cheap if he flames out, then so be it. But he fits like a glove here.

The best news of all: he’s gonna be our #3 guy and when healthy he’s a high end 2. Yeah.. Overhaul.

Let’s talk about Crabtree.

Michael Crabtree, WR:

What he brings to the table.

Ah Crabtree. A massive underachiever before he went to Oakland. Not an elite athlete but those ball skills and body control just can’t be taught. If the ball is thrown to him and the corner is just draped on him he’s probably going to win. Him along with Dez Bryant, Deandre Hopkins, Marvin Jones Jr, and Mike Evans are some of the best jumpball WRs in the game. We have missed this element to our offense since Boldin was here. He is a red zone beast and if you ask him to work the intermediate he can do it just as well as anyone. Route running? He can do that in spades. Reliable hands? Historically yes, though he is coming off of a down season. Physicality? Stuff that the team has been lacking since Steve Smith Sr. Favorite thing about him? ATTITUDE. He is not someone you mess with. He’s not a diva but he plays like a Raven. Athletically speaking, hasn’t really lost a step yet, and likely not going to lose a step any time soon. He is more of the type who has game predicated on physicality and skill. That stuff allowed Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald to age as gracecfully as you could.

Negatives. He is the stereotypical “past his prime” WR. He also had a bit of drop problem the past two seasons. This could prove to be problematic as Steve Smith Sr. also had a bit of a drop problem when he got here too. He’s not perfect, otherwise he would’ve made more money on the open market.

That said, he’s not paid like a #1 WR, but he’s a bargain. I am okay with it. Whether he’s going to be a #1 WR or not is irrelevant at the moment. He’s a definitive upgrade over Maclin, Wallace, and Perriman. That’s all that matters. If he is our #1 instead of Wallace last year, we make the playoffs. Getting two guys there like that is massive for the offense even if he isn’t the most amazing player in the world.

Both of these signings get A grades. Which is better than I could have possibly said for the Ryan Grant signing. Thank god we never got him.

Potential FA’s we should target next.

Travis Swanson- He ever returns to pre-injury form we get ourselves a solid center.

Matt Slauson- Classic Ozzie move. Only had a down year due to injury. He has a lot of upside and reeks as an unfortunate classic Ozzie move.

Evan Smith- See above

NaVorro Bowman- This guy would take our defense to the next level. Good at everything. Should not be too expensive due to a ton of injuries.

Pernell McPhee- Familiar face. Would massively upgrade the interior pass rush, be beneficiary of having a rotational role. Would finally allow us to get rid of Za’Darius Smith who is a massive liability.

Willie Snead, Cameron Meredith, Allen Hurns: See. We have interest in all three. I have no need to elaborate any further.

Bonus mock draft. Easier to do one of these now that we’ve made FA moves. So let me do a mock signing or two here.

Sign:

NaVorro Bowman- Poach the Raiders and another former niner that used to be a Raider. Bowman provides us with a monumental upgrade at the inside LB #2 spot who can do everything well. More expensive than the other options on the market? Sure. But that is okay. We had interest in him when he was released, might as well bring him in for his overall ability and to help solidify the middle.

Pernell Mcphee- Scheme familiarity. Helps boost the run defense on the edge, and when moved to the interior on nickel packages can be disruptive.

Now for the mock.

Round One:

TRADE: Ravens Trade the 16th overall selection for the Seahawks for the 18th pick, the 120th(4th round), and the 141th pick(5th round)

Trade value chart actually points the trade in Seattle’s favor. Without context here. Seattle knows that both us and the Chargers are desperate for offensive line help. McGlinchey is their primary target, and they want to play ball and could use a guy like him. Or they could go Vita Vea to help out the new look defensive line. Either way, Seattle knows the talent falls off hard in the middle rounds in the draft and they need to build the trenches. We’re a threat to take both players(Vea and Payne I would actually be okay with drafting). That’s fine, Ozzie knows what he’s doing in the middle rounds usually.

Round One: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

ridley.jpg

Yup.. We still get our guy. This is the most classic Ozzie Newsome pick of all time. Typical Alabama player, but it would be so typical of him to only get a WR right in his final year here. Needless to say, Ridley is one of the safest WR prospects to ever come out of the draft. Very high flor, moderately high ceiling. And he fits here like a glove regardless of the acquisitions. Yes, Snead, Brown, and Crabtree is a solid corps. Ridley turns it into a formidable one and helps either Flacco or his replacement next year have a competitive edge. He’s a day 1 starting WR, and a day one #1 caliber option in most offenses in several offenses. He’d be a godsend for us.

Round Two: Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

hayden+hurst+south+carolina+te+catching+pass.jpg

Let’s get us a Hurst that does not totally suck shall we? Yeah.. I love me some Hayden Hurst. He’d be my second TE in the class if not for his age, yet I still think he’s well worth the pick in the second round? Like Ridley his game isn’t his issue, his age is… He’s gonna be 25.. But the last time we draft a 25 year old TE who had ball skills and well above average athletic ability for a TE, he worked out pretty well. Hurst’s game practically has no weaknesses. He needs to get stronger but he’s good at everything. Hurst might be different as far as rookie TEs. He might be a day one contributor given that he’s been a professional athlete before. He’s a classic Ravens pick and not getting excited over him would be utterly foolish.

Round Three: Tyrell Crosby, RT, Oregon

df6c33b1b6952b17e0116f4a1e6d060c

Crosby is not perfect.. But his fit in Roman’s scheme is. RT is the biggest need right now along the offensive line. I have a feeling that Hurst will be starting at LG, but even though he’s below average, having Yanda back alone is going to boost the interior, and believe me I’m getting to that here. Crosby is a day one starter at RT. He’s a nasty guy which is something we could use on the offensive line! Day one starter at RT, and likely a very good player once coached up in this scheme.

Round Four: Auden Tate, WR, Florida State

image.jpg

Michael Crabtree was a really good signing but he is a bit on the older side. Eventually we are going to need another WR for the red zone. Tate does not do much.. But he does this well. Very well. Probably the best in the class at contested grabs. At the very worst this guy is a very good red zone threat. At best? A good #2. Either way, he’s too good to pass up.

Round Four: Mason Cole, C, Michigan

t8piowtH_400x400.jpg

Cole is a day one starter on day three of the draft. Easily worth a pick. High ceiling, low floor. In round four, you can’t do much better. He’s got a high football IQ and average strength and athleticism. Good technician with experience on several positions on the line. I think he’s a plug and play day one starter at the center position. Which is very good. A line of Stanley-Lewis-Cole-Yanda-Crosby could potentially be much better than last year.

Round Five: Kylie Fitts, LB, Utah

I’ve drafted Fitts before. No need to explain. All kinds of athletic potential. Good motor as a pass rusher. An upside pick, but a potential one that works out.

Round Five: Tony Brown, CB, Alabama

Ozzie must take as many Alabama prospects as possible. Matt Miller has him going in the fifth. That’s fine, he’s not a #1 CB.. He’s got the tools to develop into a pretty good one though. Brown could be a high end #2 CB with proper development, even if he is clearly mentally unstable. Humphrey gets reunited with a teammate, we get more depth, and potentially get a good fit for the future.

Round Six: Phillip Lindsey, RB, Colorado

Homer pick? Yeah. Worth it? Also yes. Lindsey is the prototypical scat back and the ideal fit to replace Woodhead. Good hands, explosive, good burst, good routes, good scat back. He’s amazing value in the sixth round. If the Chargers can get good value out of Eckler, this is a good pick too. Lindsey could be the perfect replacement for Woodhead and we’d be paying a fraction of the cost.

Round Six: Bradley Bozeman, G, Alabama

No this is not me pushing an agenda. This is me selecting a player I like. Bozeman at worst is excellent G depth, a possible necessity since Siragusa might not be the same ever again. I think he’s a tad underrated in the eyes of scouts. Bozeman fits the scheme well and with proper development, he could be a good interior olinemen.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Great read. Love the optimism, although I really think your mock is missing a QB. Ud also like to think there are better options than Hurst in the 2nd. I think thats too high for him, i mean hes solid at everything but hes not really great at anything. Theres no trump card with him, im afraid he'll just end up average in the NFL. And we dont need another average guy at TE

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The first pick seems implausible to me. The trade back AND the landing of Ridley?
Even so I'm not so sold on Cole as plug and play anymore... I can see the Ravens loving him and his versatility but I don't know if he's a center so much as a guard.

Really nice 2-4 however. Crosby will be a great fit at RT and Hurst is a truly great second round selection. I echo how great a pairing Tate and Ridley seem though lately I'm partial to Ateman.

Fitts is a nice player if he's healthy. No to Bozeman.

If you land three quality pass catcher along with a RT I'd consider this a success.