• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Simba's Full First Round + Ravens Mock

Simba

Staff Member
I may be under a new name but the one mock a year still lives. In the past, I've always tried to avoid trades, but I don't feel I can do that anymore with all of the movement for QBs. I also always try to think a little different, so don't be shocked to see a few surprises/different names.

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

The Browns actually make the smart decision this year and pick a QB that isn't Josh Allen. Darnold needs some work but has a lot of those intangibles you look for in a QB.

2. New York Giants - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

The Giants are the team I'm having the most trouble figuring out. I think they'd take Darnold given the opportunity. The real goal would be a trade back, but not sure any team is willing to move to #2. For that reason, they take Barkley and call it a night.

3. New York Jets - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Apparently, you can lock this one in. The Jets have been settled on Mayfield for awhile now and it doesn't look like there are any threats to make that not happen.

4. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

Even if Barkley was on the board, I still think the Browns would go Chubb. He's a top notch pass rusher and would form an incredible duo with Myles Garrett.

5. TRADE: Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

The Bills, seeing Allen falling, make the move to get him. The Broncos want to trade back and find a perfect match.

6. Indianapolis Colts - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

The Colts have a need on the OL (as always), but also huge defensive needs. Enter Edmunds, who is a unique prospect and will be an instant impact player with plenty of room to grow.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

The Bucs could go a number of ways here, but opt for the do-it-all Fitzpatrick. S is a black hole for them and they get the chance to fill it with a premier prospect.

8. Chicago Bears - Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

The Bears get arguably the best player in the draft. Nelson is a mean mofo and Mitch will be happy to have that in front of him.

9. San Francisco 49ers - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

The 49ers were crossing their fingers for Edmunds, but since it didn't happen, they take the next best thing. Foster has a lot of question marks and the rest of their LBers are just guys.

10. Oakland Raiders - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

The Raiders were hoping that one of the LBers would fall. Instead, they opt to fix the mess that was RT last year. Vadal Alexander and Brent Giacomini are not answers. The Raiders get their first player under the age of 73.

11. Miami Dolphins - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

The Dolphins luck out and get a complete steal. Rosen shouldn't fall this far, but he does, and the Dolphins find Usain Bolt to run the card in.

12. Denver Broncos - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

This couldn't work out any better for the Broncos. They pick up extra draft capital and a player that could easily go at pick #5.

13. Washington Redskins - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

The Redskins are always good for a surprise, and they go with the RB this year. They've been going with RB du jour the past few years and it hasn't been working for them.

14. Green Bay Packers - Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

Davenport is incredibly raw, but if there's a team to bring out the best in him, I believe it's the Packers. The pass rush up north is questionable and they add a very talented player.

15. Arizona Cardinals - Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

I don't think the Cardinals are sold on Lamar Jackson, so they go for another Jackson here to add some talent on the other side of Patrick Peterson.

16. TRADE: Dallas Cowboys - Vita Vea, DT, Washington

The Cowboys make the slight jump up to beat out the Chargers and Seahawks, both of whom should have interest in Vea. The Ravens get the Cowboys 3rd while throwing back the 6th round comp pic.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

The Chargers wanted Vea, but get a potential franchise QB instead. The Rams are running the LA market and getting a player like Jackson should help make them a little more relevant.

18. Seattle Seahawks - Derwin James, DB, Florida State

The Seahawks have lost pretty much all of the LOB, and get an opportunity to start a new one with a player that really shouldn't be available.

19. Baltimore Ravens - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

hurst.jpg

The Ravens wanted to move back a little farther, but the board didn't fall in their favor. Hurst is the selection and should be a day 1 impact player, which is a rarity at TE. He's a little on the older side but should have a nice, long career. He's probably the best two-way TE in this draft and should make an immediate impact with Joe and his love for TEs.

20. Detroit Lions - Harold Landry, DE, Boston College

The Lions get an edge rusher to put on the opposite side of Ansah. Landry is a solid, consistent player who should fit well.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - James Daniels, C, Iowa

The Bengals need all of the OL help and opt for the C here while focusing on the rest later. The Bengals have added more zone concepts and Daniels fits well

22. TRADE: Denver Broncos - Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

This draft could not have gone better for the Broncos. They reunite Hernandez with his former coach and solidify their questionable OL

23. New England Patriots - Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA

I hate Kolton Miller... everywhere but NE. The NE offense is perfect to mask Miller's deficiencies and he should fit in well.

24. Carolina Panthers - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

The Panthers need to give Cam some help at WR and they get the opportunity to do just that with arguably the best at the position, who takes a tumble.

25. Tennessee Titans - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

The Titans don't have many glaring holes, but ILB next to Woodyard is one and they pick up a quality guy to fit in next to him.

26. Atlanta Falcons - Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

This is a match made in heaven. Atlanta loves some interior rush and gets it with a raw and inconsistent, but insanely athletic Taven Bryan.

27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State

The Saints are the main reason we don't want to drop too far if we're gunning for Hurst, and they prove that by taking TE2 in Goedert. TE is a big hole in NO.

28. TRADE: Arizona Cardinals - Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

The Cardinals missed out on Mahomes last year and missed out on the top 4 this year. They trade back in with the Steelers to jump the Jags and secure a QB of the future.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

The Jaguars are a team without huge needs, so they opt for a feisty CB to replace the departed Aaron Colvin, making that defense even scarier.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Connor Williams, T, Texas

The Vikings are also a team without huge needs, outside of RG. Williams should slot in at G year 1 and be a T option in the future if needed.

31. New England Patriots - Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State

The Patriots get some really good value here and replace the sloth that is Kyle Van Noy in the starting lineup.

32. Philadelphia Eagles - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

What do you give a team that has virtually no needs? Another weapon on offense. I think the Eagles are in a good spot for a trade back but not sure what player, so Michel slots in.

And the rest of the Ravens picks:

Round 2:

52. Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan

USATSI_9804599-e1519494174392.jpg

Okorafor isn't getting enough love, but he's a mountain of man that moves well and shows a mean streak to his game. There might be a few hiccups as he's still learning, but I still believe he can slot in and play from day 1.

Round 3:

81 (from Dallas). Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky

White.jpg

I just think White is the guy we might have our sights set on at QB. He's got a big arm and would fit really well behind Joe for a year or two while he develops. I think the Ravens are serious about QB on the second day, and pull the trigger and get one.

83. Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State

0904%20bsufbla15

I really don't know why, but Cedrick Wilson isn't getting enough love. So many have him in day 3 but I don't think he makes it that far. Wilson runs a pretty good route tree considering he's still somewhat new to the position. He's a hard worker and should fit in well as WR4 (assuming Snead is a thing) working all levels.

Round 4:

118. Tegray Scales, LB, Indiana

tegrayscales.jpg

Scales might not have blown the roof of the combine with crazy numbers, but he's a smart, instinctive LBer who just knows how to play football. I think he'd be a very good addition next to Mosley.

Round 5:

154. Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado

20170720__21BZAWAw_1.jpg

Here's Danny Woodhead 2.0 without the injuries. Lindsay is a little bit frenetic when he has the ball, but he's a home run hitter who should be able to play on 3rd downs immediately.

Round 6:

190. Damon Webb, FS, Ohio State

Damon+Webb+Ohio+State+v+Indiana+PN9k7R0iIOwl.jpg

Like Scales, Webb is another guy that won't wow you with athletic numbers or size but he's a smart player who has the potential to play a center field role.

Round 7:

238. Matt Gono, G/C, Wesley

Gono.jpg

Gono comes from a tiny D3 school, but he was a man amongst boys there. He's your typical teddy bear off the field, but absolute mad man on it. He'll be sliding inside after playing T in college. He's developmental but it could be a payoff like Jensen in 2 years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
oh man i really wanted to like this draft lol - and i liked what you did for a lot of the other teams for the most part

but i hate this for the ravens...

i think with those options at 16 and the trade back only netting a late 3 ive got to personally seriously consider jackson or try and shop him to a team further back for more picks

or calvin ridley or hernandez or wynn at 19 or even connor williams/harold landry

and round 2 chuks is underrated but i dont see him being a 2nd round talent at all - he looks to me like he's developmental which is not something you really want in round 2 given the other talent i imagine will be there

mike white is cool though
and cedrick wilson is good value there too

i like tegray scales too although there's other guys i like more - but day 3 as long as there's workable traits and value in those traits often times that's justification enough

damon webb is a guy i dont think is necessarily draftable personally

lindsay is someone who ive missed completely for no apparent reason but he sounds like a good pickup from the way you describe him

i know absolutely nothing about gono but the 7th round is essentially a priority free agent and has very little value at all lol so thats a cool pick

rounds 3,4,5,7 are seemingly nice and 6 i dont feel that strongly on but 1 and 2 i would hate the value of

Simba

Staff Member
oh man i really wanted to like this draft lol - and i liked what you did for a lot of the other teams for the most part

but i hate this for the ravens...

i think with those options at 16 and the trade back only netting a late 3 ive got to personally seriously consider jackson or try and shop him to a team further back for more picks

or calvin ridley or hernandez or wynn at 19 or even connor williams/harold landry

and round 2 chuks is underrated but i dont see him being a 2nd round talent at all - he looks to me like he's developmental which is not something you really want in round 2 given the other talent i imagine will be there

mike white is cool though
and cedrick wilson is good value there too

i like tegray scales too although there's other guys i like more - but day 3 as long as there's workable traits and value in those traits often times that's justification enough

damon webb is a guy i dont think is necessarily draftable personally

lindsay is someone who ive missed completely for no apparent reason but he sounds like a good pickup from the way you describe him

i know absolutely nothing about gono but the 7th round is essentially a priority free agent and has very little value at all lol so thats a cool pick

rounds 3,4,5,7 are seemingly nice and 6 i dont feel that strongly on but 1 and 2 i would hate the value of

For what it's worth, my mocks are always on the different side so I usually have a mixed reaction lol. It typically turns out where some hated picks go where or earlier than where I placed them, and some go well after where I placed them. I'm just not one that usually likes to pump the same names over and over again - I like to bring out some different prospects than you'd normally see.

Shit, I mocked Tyus Bowser in the 3rd last year and people jumped down my throat, and we actually picked him in the 2nd.

One thing I forgot to point out is that these mocks are made with the idea of what I think the Ravens will do, not necessarily what I or we want. I'm of the opinion that the Jackson interest is a smokescreen. I really wanted to find someone to trade up for him but I couldn't find a partner that I thought would make the move. I think the Patriots are more interested in Lauletta. The Saints don't have the draft capital to move that far without giving up future assets. I'd gladly take a 3rd for a 3 spot drop and a comp 6th, though, and I think the Cowboys could have legit interest in that type of move with Vea being available in this scenario that I'm sure will not happen at all come Thursday.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For what it's worth, my mocks are always on the different side so I usually have a mixed reaction lol. It typically turns out where some hated picks go where or earlier than where I placed them, and some go well after where I placed them. I'm just not one that usually likes to pump the same names over and over again - I like to bring out some different prospects than you'd normally see.

Shit, I mocked Tyus Bowser in the 3rd last year and people jumped down my throat, and we actually picked him in the 2nd.

One thing I forgot to point out is that these mocks are made with the idea of what I think the Ravens will do, not necessarily what I or we want. I'm of the opinion that the Jackson interest is a smokescreen. I really wanted to find someone to trade up for him but I couldn't find a partner that I thought would make the move. I think the Patriots are more interested in Lauletta. The Saints don't have the draft capital to move that far without giving up future assets. I'd gladly take a 3rd for a 3 spot drop and a comp 6th, though, and I think the Cowboys could have legit interest in that type of move with Vea being available in this scenario that I'm sure will not happen at all come Thursday.

i didnt think the trade itself was unrealistic necessarily just thought that we might have been able to get a bit more capital/find a team to move back a bit further but that's neither here nor there - my main problem with the pick is that i just dont think any of the tight ends are in the top 19 players in this draft - or top 25 either tbh

Simba

Staff Member
i didnt think the trade itself was unrealistic necessarily just thought that we might have been able to get a bit more capital/find a team to move back a bit further but that's neither here nor there - my main problem with the pick is that i just dont think any of the tight ends are in the top 19 players in this draft - or top 25 either tbh

To be fair, neither do I really. But, I think the Ravens might. I mean, I didn't think Breshad Perriman was a top 50 player in the class and they took him in round 1. I had Arthur Brown in my top 20 I think and we got him in the 2nd. Value is just so subjective to me unless we're talking about top 5 or something like that.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I, too hate the 1st round choice with who else was available. Position wise I get it (almost) but 25 yo TE is a bad investment in 1st.
I like White in the 3rd and Wilson in 4th but I really, really like Okorafor in the second for us (I took him for the Browns in R2 in forum mock).

I also think the Browns might throw a curve ball to everybody and pick Mayfield at #1.

Simba

Staff Member
I, too hate the 1st round choice with who else was available. Position wise I get it (almost) but 25 yo TE is a bad investment in 1st.
I like White in the 3rd and Wilson in 4th but I really, really like Okorafor in the second for us (I took him for the Browns in R2 in forum mock).

I also think the Browns might throw a curve ball to everybody and pick Mayfield at #1.

You left out the hatred for not picking anyone from Alabama ;)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
1) Did I miss Isaiah Wynn in your mock? ......I'd definitely take Wynn at that point.I'm not sure I pull the trigger on TE that high....probably not.
2) Don't like the value here....seems more of a need pick than a BPA pick.
3) I like Cedrick and Mike
4) Great talent at the ILB position in this years draft. I have some that I prefer to scales but won't quibble. I love his effort in pursuit and as you say, he really understands the position, he tackles well and does a nice job in reading and reacting. Don't think he has much feel when he gets manned up in coverage but he might improve that. He's better than whats on the roster now and he feels like a Raven.

Taze

Practice Squad
I’d rather just stay at 16 and take Derwin, he’s just too good. I know our TE's are awful but I have a much much higher grade on Derwin than anyone left. I like Hurst, but I don't see an elite TE prospect so I have trouble taking him this high. I do not consider the Ravens to be contenders so I'd take the best player long-term here. I do think there’s a good chance we trade down from 16 however getting a 3rd to move down three spots seems very optimistic.

I liked Okorafor's tape, but this seems like a reach imo, I think Crosby, Christian and Jones go higher.

White's decent, but I'd rather invest a higher pick (at some point) in a more talented player to be Joe's successor.

I do really like the Wilson, Scales and Webb picks

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d rather just stay at 16 and take Derwin, he’s just too good. I know our TE's are awful but I have a much much higher grade on Derwin than anyone left. I like Hurst, but I don't see an elite TE prospect so I have trouble taking him this high. I do not consider the Ravens to be contenders so I'd take the best player long-term here. I do think there’s a good chance we trade down from 16 however getting a 3rd to move down three spots seems very optimistic.

I liked Okorafor's tape, but this seems like a reach imo, I think Crosby, Christian and Jones go higher.

White's decent, but I'd rather invest a higher pick (at some point) in a more talented player to be Joe's successor.

I do really like the Wilson, Scales and Webb picks
Getting Derwin James would be screaming success.

I don't think I can agree with how the first goes down. If Derwin James is there we should definitely pick him unless Dallas gives us an offer we just can't turn down. Not only do we pass on James, but we reach on a TE who I don't even think is worth a 1st round pick personally. Not to mention Ridley and Evans being there, if we pick a TE with our first pick with those guys there I would honeslty be disappointed.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Must be you and i alone that have ridley as a late 1st.

Kudos for not following the masses rmw.

I think with the potential signing of snead a wr in round 1 is off our radar.

Simba

Staff Member
Just wanted to reiterate again that this isn't a "what I'd do" draft. This is a draft on what I think the Ravens could do, at least in the early rounds. OJ Howard, Reuben Foster, and Jonathan Allen were all ranked higher on people's boards last year and we passed on all 3. Derwin James (just to give one example) is higher than Hurst on my board, but I could definitely see a situation where it's reversed for the Ravens.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Must be you and i alone that have ridley as a late 1st.

Kudos for not following the masses rmw.

I think with the potential signing of snead a wr in round 1 is off our radar.
I feel Ridley is a top 20 player and wouldn't mind taking him at 16, but feel a better player will be available at that spot and we could end up going with that better player and he most likely will be a defensive player. I'd also be cool with DJ Moore, feel his upside is through the roof and I'm not being biased, I just love his tape.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Passing on Derwin James would come back to bite us in the ass when weddle retires/falls off, which is very much due.