• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Derek Wolfe on Raven Injuries...

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Anyone seen this? I was going thru FB this morning and this popped up.

What's your believably scale?

I find it interesting. The injuries have been terrible to the point it makes one think there might be some fire to this smoke.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This whole situation is weird. Salty ex player. Probably some subjective truth from his part. Some stuff probably misrepresented. But Sarah was incredibly useless in that and just did the most vanilla PR for the Ravens. Which is literally her job so I get it.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
This whole situation is weird. Salty ex player. Probably some subjective truth from his part. Some stuff probably misrepresented. But Sarah was incredibly useless in that and just did the most vanilla PR for the Ravens. Which is literally her job so I get it.
Yeah, I agree. What's interesting is what Wolfe said about the strength training, tho. I do think there is something negative about training or preparedness if they are prescribing activities where a guy is dragging his leg after months of rehab where there is evidence that wasn't the case before the training because of the silly bear carrying incident.

The injuries - altho they appear to be up all over the league - are at a level never really seen here over the past 2-3 years. And with just a little rereading of "ravens' strength and conditioning coach" search, I'm reminded Steve Saunders is also the guy that they pinned the Covid outbreak on that we had 2 years ago. Obviously, there was some major break down there.

I mean it's not like there haven't been injuries in the past, but most season ending injuries I recall were in games in season and not non-contact or team drills. I know there have been some of those too, but not as prevalent and condensed into such a short period of time like we've seen over the past 2-3 years.

The guy was quoted as saying he, "...tweaked the regimen..." in April of this year. Just seems like a bit too much smoke to not investigate if it's a fire or not.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I agree. What's interesting is what Wolfe said about the strength training, tho. I do think there is something negative about training or preparedness if they are prescribing activities where a guy is dragging his leg after months of rehab where there is evidence that wasn't the case before the training because of the silly bear carrying incident.

The injuries - altho they appear to be up all over the league - are at a level never really seen here over the past 2-3 years. And with just a little rereading of "ravens' strength and conditioning coach" search, I'm reminded Steve Saunders is also the guy that they pinned the Covid outbreak on that we had 2 years ago. Obviously, there was some major break down there.

I mean it's not like there haven't been injuries in the past, but most season ending injuries I recall were in games in season and not non-contact or team drills. I know there have been some of those too, but not as prevalent and condensed into such a short period of time like we've seen over the past 2-3 years.

The guy was quoted as saying he, "...tweaked the regimen..." in April of this year. Just seems like a bit too much smoke to not investigate if it's a fire or not.
I mean I said it after last year and before any of the Wolfe stuff came out. Like if you had historically bad injuries it COULD be related to strength and conditioning. The argument against is Saunders has been here awhile and this is a more recent issue. Could also be with rule changes, longer season, blah blah that his program should have been updated and it's still in the past.

Idk but I said if you have historically bad injuries and you move to another guy, what's the worst that can happen? You have historically bad injuries again? Then it was the case its probably not the coach and you're super unlucky. The only guy who loses in that scenario is Saunders. Or your injury situation gets way better and that could be due to luck or a better program. But either way your situation is better.