• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Those Who Saw the Colts in 1965

RJinMandeville

Practice Squad
I cannot claim to be a Raven fans, though I respect your team greatly.

I am doing research on the 1965 NFL season with some focus on the Baltimore Colts. I am in the process of completing nearly all of my research and much of a first draft of a book. There are materials at the Hornbake Library at the University of Maryland that I have requested to see in late June. I am hoping to spend two to three days in Baltimore after I complete my library research--the Orioles are at home.

The purpose of this thread is to ask any fans who actually attended a Colts game in the 1964-1965 period to consider visiting with me by email or speaking with me about the Colts fan experience in that time period. If anyone would consider visiting with me, or perhaps putting me in touch with an older family member who saw the Colts play at Memorial Stadium in that time period. I would be most appreciative.

Thanks to all who took the time to click on this thread.

PS Something Raven fans may find interesting is that Carroll Rosenbloom in September 1965 had started talking about the need for the Colts to have a new stadium.

Last edited:

Nurps

MVP
I cannot claim to be a Raven fans, though I respect your team greatly.

I am doing research on the 1965 NFL season with some focus on the Baltimore Colts. I am in the process of completing nearly all of my research and much of a first draft of a book. There are materials at the Hornbake Library at the University of Maryland that I have requested to see in late June. I am hoping to spend two to three days in Baltimore after I complete my library research--the Orioles are at home.

The purpose of this thread is to ask any fans who actually attended a Colts game in the 1964-1965 period to consider visiting with me by email or speaking with me about the Colts fan experience in that time period. If anyone would consider visiting with me, or perhaps putting me in touch with an older family member who saw the Colts play at Memorial Stadium in that time period.

Thanks to all who took the time to click on this thread.

PS Something Raven fans may find interesting is that Carroll Rosenbloom in September 1965 had started talking about the need for the Colts to have a new stadium.
Best of luck with this. Sounds like a great project. Let us know when the final edit is published.

RJinMandeville

Practice Squad
Nurps, thanks for the response and interest.

I realize that recalling events 55 to 60 years will be a challenge. Some might have some memory of some extraordinary moments in 1965--Orr's touchdown after he returned from the hospital against the Eagles in week 10, Unitas's injury against the Bears in week 12, the interception by Dave Robinson at the end of the first half and then Gary Cuozzo's injury in the second Green Bay game played in the fog in week 13, and finally the overtime drama of the playoff game in Green Bay with its controversy of whether Chandler's field goal to tie the game was good.

But I am looking for a feel of the era. What newspapers did you read? Who were your favorite beat reporters? What was Chuck Thompson like on the radio? What was it like to listen then to the radio broadcasts? What was Baltimore like at that time and how was it changing? How early did you leave to go to a Colts game at Memorial? Where did you park? In the winter, how were fans at Memorial dressed? Who were your favorite players? What did you think then of Don Shula and Carroll Rosenbloom? Did you have any experience with a Colts corral? Again, I am looking for a feel for what it was like to be a Colts fan and what the city was like at that time.

If someone has an interest in visiting with me, just let me know on the forum, and I can provide contact information. Thank you again.