• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Why tf am I doing this Mock Draft

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Gonna make a few bold prediccs to lay out the draft a bit.

For shigs and gittles I’m gonna say we pick at 20.

Joe Flacco gets us a third rounder.
Ryan Jensen, per OTC, is projected to net a third.
For cap purposes I think we trade jimmy and I think he gets us a 5th.

Round1:
Jerry Tillery, DT, ND.
This is a guy I expect to rise, but right now he is typically considered a very late first. In my book, it’s hard to say there’s another player near our range who could be better. Long, lean, athletic, powerful, Gerald McCoy type DT. He uses that length as a spacer and for leverage, he keeps blockers at a distance as he keeps his eyes on the play, and sheds accordingly with a solid variety of moves, the classic swim and underhook being the big ones. Flattens the back and drives the feet to collapse pockets. Does well with getting more push on his man than the rest of the front and using that gap he creates to knife and pursue. What I’ve seen so far suggests one of the highest ceiling defenders with a pretty safe floor as well. Would prefer deionte Thompson or Damien Harris, maybe Montez sweat, but I think Thompson and sweat are long gone by our pick and Harris will be seen as too low value, which I disagree with.

Round 3:
Pick 1: Lukas Denis, FS, BC.
Natural ballhawk, smaller guy, but rangy with what appears to be pretty unshakable football iq and confidence in own instincts. Single high with this dude, if he’s studying film and not being attacked with gronks and kelces and mike evans’ 1on1 he’s gonna make a difference.

Pick 2(trade):
Oshane Ximines, edge, old dominion.
Short and Stout edge rusher. Has all the athleticism you want, and is not unrefined like a small school guy usually would be. He handfights in his rush and bends low with great balance and flexibility, great motor and intensity, high character leader type. Quite possibly a day one starter who doesn’t get his due respect because of his small school status.

Pick 3(comp): Garrett Bradbury, C, NC St.
adequate size, has plenty of length but isn’t too tall for leverage issues at 6’3”. Doesn’t give up ground when anchored, will often see 4 blockers a good 2 yards deeper than Bradbury because he just anchors down so well. He runs a lot of stretch plays as if it’s a gap concept, so if he’s with us hopefully we just don’t run stretch lol, but he gets push consistently, would like to see him land more moving blocks against LBs in space, but mashing forward for an up the gut run game should be this guys specialty.

Round 4:
Alex Barnes, RB, K-State.
Big ass dude at RB with natural ability to spot and hit the hole all in the timing of the handoff, doesn’t fuck around in the backfield, doesn’t worry about getting the big play, he knows what he does well and he does it, he hits the gap hard and quick and any poor bastard daring to tackle is getting a low and violent shoulder pop. Dude is looking to break someone’s will every time he approaches a tackler.

Round 5:
Pick 1:
Anthony Johnson, WR, Buffalo.
Big, physical, hands, eyes, total package, criminally underrated guy who could rise after some exposure, potentially as high as a round 2 guy, but for now he’s a midder. The way this guy locates the ball and the hand-eye coordination and focus to see the ball into his hands in really tough circumstances is nothing short of gifted. Some players have impressive traits, but some just have gifts, catching the ball for Johnson is a gift. He’s a big powerful man but not stiff and lumbering, sitting around 6’2” 210 give or take, he has nice fluid movement and ability to hit the brakes to adjust to the ball, flexibility to make some tough catches in air, and just an all around very secure catcher. Big time sleeper.

Pick 2:
Jamal Peters, CB, Miss St.
Long, physical, and he turns his head to spot the ball. Haven’t watched much of him but will be watching more. Intriguing day 3 guy. And really I believe in always adding a corner, every single draft, you just have to in today’s nfl, find another day 3 steal. Dunno if this is that guy but yeah, always add a cb.

Round 6:
Pick 1:
Khalil Hodge LB, Buffalo.
I think we’re letting Mosley go, we might take Mack Wilson in 1 or take a guy like quarterman in round 3/4, but if not hodge is a solid player, he’s quick in zone drops, he pursues east and west well, and is a stellar tackler. Not a flashy guy, not a blitz weapon, but could play some off the ball OLB. Zach Orr type who can fly around and make tackles on cleanup duty.

Pick 2:
Byron Cowart, edge, MD.
Former #1 recruit, moved to DT at Auburn, struggled, transferred to Maryland and played edge again, has potential with good size and a nice burst, when playing on the line at Auburn he did surprisingly well at holding down the point, comes from down low and jams up the chest, pushing vertically to give blockers a hard time, would be a nice project to coach up and rotate to bring a bit of extra speed rush off the edge from a guy with the natural build for it.

Not having a second rounder hurts because that’s where the strength of this OL class lies. Elgton Jenkins, Tyler biadasz, Cody ford, Chris Lindstrom, Michael Jordan, and plenty others are likely second rounders. So I take the strength of this class in round one, as the ravens are ones to do(TE/QB 2018, CB 2017, OT 2016), which luckily fills what I think is a need that really propels this team to another level, then fill another hole at FS with a guy who should start day one and falls due to size limitations, then just looking for value, guys who are currently projected in a range where I think they bring great value.

Last edited:

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
A DT in the first round? Hmm..
I wonder if we’re going to resign pierce or not. Brandon Williams been ghost.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol I don’t know a single player on this list. Scouting is for the offseason I don’t have that kinda time on my hands otherwise. I would say nice mock or add some commentary but like I said, totally clueless.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A DT in the first round? Hmm..
I wonder if we’re going to resign pierce or not. Brandon Williams been ghost.
Pierce is RFA so will be on the team next year - im assuming he gets a 2nd round tender
Doesn’t matter. Pierce is just 1 DT and as good as he is, he’s still a 2 down guy, Tillery is special, no need to take him off the field, he’s excellent vs the run and a potentially elite interior rusher. A dime/nickel set with him and Henry at DT is a scary proposition.

And how many parts of this team are weaker than the interior pass rush? Next year FS might be, and then there’s C, but the odds of us finding either at a value in the first are slim.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Doesn’t matter. Pierce is just 1 DT and as good as he is, he’s still a 2 down guy, Tillery is special, no need to take him off the field, he’s excellent vs the run and a potentially elite interior rusher. A dime/nickel set with him and Henry at DT is a scary proposition.

And how many parts of this team are weaker than the interior pass rush? Next year FS might be, and then there’s C, but the odds of us finding either at a value in the first are slim.

i wasnt saying dont draft tillery lol - was just specifying that drafting a DT would not mean we were letting pierce go

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i wasnt saying dont draft tillery lol - was just specifying that drafting a DT would not mean we were letting pierce go
I do believe we will be letting Brandon Williams go, if not this offseason, then at the end of 2019.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Wanna note that after seeing lamar play, and knowing the mass exodus that’s incoming, I think this very well could be a defensive leaning draft. This style of team simply wont win without a dominant defense.

WRs won’t make this offense much better, OL and RB definitely would, but value is a thing that exists and the second round is where that value lies which we don’t have, therefore, defense heavy.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Wanna note that after seeing lamar play, and knowing the mass exodus that’s incoming, I think this very well could be a defensive leaning draft. This style of team simply wont win without a dominant defense.

WRs won’t make this offense much better, OL and RB definitely would, but value is a thing that exists and the second round is where that value lies which we don’t have, therefore, defense heavy.

Well, our rookie QB will hopefully improve in passing game, too. Good receiver might help with that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well, our rookie QB will hopefully improve in passing game, too. Good receiver might help with that.
Completely true but the strength lies in the run game and it always will, with lamar at the helm we will go as far as the run game and the defense will take us, so making sure those 2 are absolutely as good as you can make it is first priority to me, WRs are a bonus which can put a run heavy defensive team over the top just by providing a few big plays here and there, but if the focal point of the team isn’t fully established yet then establish it

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Completely true but the strength lies in the run game and it always will, with lamar at the helm we will go as far as the run game and the defense will take us, so making sure those 2 are absolutely as good as you can make it is first priority to me, WRs are a bonus which can put a run heavy defensive team over the top just by providing a few big plays here and there, but if the focal point of the team isn’t fully established yet then establish it
That's true and probably the best (only?) way of competing vs teams like KC / LAR / NO... since, let's be honest - we'll never have that level of passing game. But there's a danger of making us too one-dimensional. Need as much balance as we can build.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's true and probably the best (only?) way of competing vs teams like KC / LAR / NO... since, let's be honest - we'll never have that level of passing game. But there's a danger of making us too one-dimensional. Need as much balance as we can build.
I think our TE threat automatically prevents us from being 1 dimensional, assuming hurst pans out. An elite 3 down back, even better.

A wr, to me, is mostly about just spreading it out as much as possible. 2TE 2WR sets, primary job of the WRs is command one safeties attention in the pass and eliminate a corner in the run. I feel an elite speedster on one side and then a big bodied possession guy/route runner and blocker on the other is all we need, and neither of those guys I think have to be “elite”, just good or tier 2. And the thing is, I believe this offense can function and get wins without those things, as long as the defense is great. Which is why I think we just wait for the right guy/right situation to present itself in the wr corps.

Ideal would be an excellent route runner/YAC guy with sure hands and a nice catch radius, like a Michael Thomas or Keenan Allen. But those don’t grow on trees.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do believe we will be letting Brandon Williams go, if not this offseason, then at the end of 2019.

i dont see why we would get rid of him before the 2019 season just because he would have to be a post-june 1 designation which seems like a weird decision - he's not what we hoped but he's still great at his niche - makes sense to play through 2019 and cut after 2019 tbh

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i just dont agree - look how important jaylen smith was to lamar's success at louisville - i know our defensive performance was impressive against atlanta but i genuinely think that you cant build a team around a dominant defence and expect to be successful on a consistent basis in the NFL anymore - more times than not a good offence will beat a great defence

i think its more important to keep playmakers on defence and build around the offence

im not saying ignore defence but you have to give lamar an offence around him - we cant build a team that emphasises his playmaking so much that we rely on him to do it on his own - we have the 2 tight ends - cool - but we might only have 2 decent OL next year (im fairly sure yanda stays but he wont be around forever) and our wide receiver depth will be terrible and our RB depth chart is a mess of just-about-ok players

we need offensive support for lamar or we are setting him up to fail with the entire offensive output of this team more on his shoulders than it ever was joe's...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i just dont agree - look how important jaylen smith was to lamar's success at louisville - i know our defensive performance was impressive against atlanta but i genuinely think that you cant build a team around a dominant defence and expect to be successful on a consistent basis in the NFL anymore - more times than not a good offence will beat a great defence

i think its more important to keep playmakers on defence and build around the offence

im not saying ignore defence but you have to give lamar an offence around him - we cant build a team that emphasises his playmaking so much that we rely on him to do it on his own - we have the 2 tight ends - cool - but we might only have 2 decent OL next year (im fairly sure yanda stays but he wont be around forever) and our wide receiver depth will be terrible and our RB depth chart is a mess of just-about-ok players

we need offensive support for lamar or we are setting him up to fail with the entire offensive output of this team more on his shoulders than it ever was joe's...
I’m not saying ignore offense lol, that would be the worst idea, but in a mock draft I don’t like doing things like trade backs, which I have a strong feeling we will do, with the aim to build the OL. In the first and third the OL just feels kinda weak and I think the well will run dry in the second and there’s too much talent elsewhere in the first.

This is what I’d like to do based on where I think guys are projected right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m not saying ignore offense lol, that would be the worst idea, but in a mock draft I don’t like doing things like trade backs, which I have a strong feeling we will do, with the aim to build the OL. In the first and third the OL just feels kinda weak and I think the well will run dry in the second and there’s too much talent elsewhere in the first.

This is what I’d like to do based on where I think guys are projected right now.

i feel like we're in the eagles position last draft (we've basically swapped places) we need to recoup draft picks especially with the way we manoeuvred around the board in 2018 - if we get the 3rd round comp for Jensen and Joe gets us a 4th (maybe - maybe more - i kinda fear he might net us less than a 4) then i hope we trade down and pick up even more value picks

i might change my tune depending on how i feel about the class - but i loved the day 1+2 of 2018 and im glad we basically ended up with an extra pick in those 2 days based off of our manoeuvrings

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

You can 100% absolutely still win in the nfl with a dominant defense.

You just have to have a good QB. Look at the jaguars - they would’ve made the super bowl last year if not for Blake Bortles. Put any average QB on that team and boom.

Look at our defense now - we held the Saints to 24 points, just needed a better QB. Look at the cowboys very good defense - beat the saints. Just need a better QB to take them to another level. The Jaguars just held the red hot Andrew Luck to 0 points lol. They just needed to not turn the ball over.

You might not be able to win with just a defense and a ground game like the 2000 Ravens, but you can absolutely win with a great defense and an offense that can put up 25 points a game. As long as you don’t completely and utterly ignore the offense like we’ve done recently lol. Just because a great offense is the new hot thing doesn’t mean it’s the only way to win.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You can 100% absolutely still win in the nfl with a dominant defense.

You just have to have a good QB. Look at the jaguars - they would’ve made the super bowl last year if not for Blake Bortles. Put any average QB on that team and boom.

Look at our defense now - we held the Saints to 24 points, just needed a better QB. Look at the cowboys very good defense - beat the saints. Just need a better QB to take them to another level. The Jaguars just held the red hot Andrew Luck to 0 points lol. They just needed to not turn the ball over.

You might not be able to win with just a defense and a ground game like the 2000 Ravens, but you can absolutely win with a great defense and an offense that can put up 25 points a game. As long as you don’t completely and utterly ignore the offense like we’ve done recently lol. Just because a great offense is the new hot thing doesn’t mean it’s the only way to win.

im just not sure now that the offensive schemes have basically got so far ahead that a team can do what the jags did last year
yes there are odd games where a defensive team will win but more times than not the offensive team wins which over a long season means your offensive teams win

obviously there are different styles of offence and the loss of hunt demonstrated the importance of a running game and at least some semblance of balance for an offence to work - likewise key to us staying in the saints game and the cowboys actually beating them was making them 1-dimensional

and all im saying is we have to be careful not to become 1-dimensional in the other direction like the cowboys pre-amari-cooper trade

but that requires making an investment into our receiving corps

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im just not sure now that the offensive schemes have basically got so far ahead that a team can do what the jags did last year
yes there are odd games where a defensive team will win but more times than not the offensive team wins which over a long season means your offensive teams win

obviously there are different styles of offence and the loss of hunt demonstrated the importance of a running game and at least some semblance of balance for an offence to work - likewise key to us staying in the saints game and the cowboys actually beating them was making them 1-dimensional

and all im saying is we have to be careful not to become 1-dimensional in the other direction like the cowboys pre-amari-cooper trade

but that requires making an investment into our receiving corps
You can win with defense, but you need complimentary football from your team. The jags didn’t almost make the SB just because of defense, they almost made the SB because they complemented their defense with a special kind of up the gut RB, and not coincidentally they began scheming bortles to run more and designing plays with scramble potential, and as bad as he is as a qb he is a very solid runner and athlete, he was breaking teams backs with his runs to move the chains, he and fournette were pounding the rock and moving the chains through the air only when needed.

If not for a typical bullshit Tom Brady induced resurrection of the patriots and some shit DPI calls late in the game, the jags go to the SB on the backs of a running qb with a trash arm, an elite power run game, and a #1 defense.