• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mock Free Agency

RESTRUCTURE
-Jimmy Smith
-Brandon Williams
-Marshal Yanda

RESIGN
-We will tender pierce and peanut
-CJ Mosley to a 4yr 52m deal, worth every penny as he glues this defense together and is 10/10 in the run game, he may not be the best in coverage but he is decent when needed and i feel he is criticized way too much... we would almost be forced to take mack rd1 unless we want peanut and kenny starting lol
-RG3 to a 1yr 1.5m deal keep as a mentor for lamar and should be relatively cheap for us to bring back
-Nick Boyle keep ONLY as a blocker/Wing as i want hayden and mark to get majority of reps

LET WALK
-Terrell Suggs as sad as it is to see him walk its time and we can easily replace him for a younger/cheaper option
-Za’Darius Smith way too expensive and isn’t worth resigning
-John Brown doesn’t fit the scheme and is zero point in us bringing him back
-Maxx Williams complete bust and i think boyle is worth an extension over him
-Buck Allen/Ty Montgomery honestly solid backs but we are crowded with gus/kd and a new signing down below
-Brent Urban he’s a solid rotational piece but isn’t worth bringing back

CUT
-Eric Weddle would love to have him as a coach but he is god awful at tackling now and is to slow to even make the plays he can read
-Michael Crabtree wouldn’t be opposed to bringing him back tbh but he is wildly inconsistent

SIGN
-Leveon Bell to a 3yr 52M deal FULLY GUARANTEED could very well seeing Decosta making headlines in his first year as GM getting a top 3 playmaker that lamar would do wonders with
-Ezekial Ansah to a 2yr 15.5M deal with all eyes on lawerence,clowney,flowers,ford,and clark, Ziggy will fly under the radar as he has had a few injuries but when healthy he is a monster who would be a consistent passrusher for us if he manages to stay healthy
-Lamarcus Joyner to a 3yr 20M deal again with all the other safeties (earl,amos,haha,landon,and honey badger) he will fly under the radar and will be an absolute steal for us, he is undersized but an absolute playmaker,very high iq,fluid hips as he played corner, and tackles very well for his size like tavon young does... he will allow tony to play more towards the line where he excels and make our defense even better

LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK I WILL MAKE A DRAFT SOON

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m torn on bell. I would really like him here but I worry about him long term, and I damn sure don’t wanna give him a fat fully guaranteed deal.

He’s gotten in trouble with weed multiple times before, and just uploaded a picture with joint cones. It’s a little worrying to say the least

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think giving any RB a fully guaranteed contract is a terrible idea no matter how good they’ve been/are. One bad injury for that position and it’s all over. Or they’ve been worked too hard mileage wise and the tires spontaneously fall off. This is before you get into Bell’s character concerns.

I think giving any RB a fully guaranteed contract is a terrible idea no matter how good they’ve been/are. One bad injury for that position and it’s all over. Or they’ve been worked too hard mileage wise and the tires spontaneously fall off. This is before you get into Bell’s character concerns.
The only way we get bell is with a fully guaranteed deal, and I think he is worth the risk

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only way we get bell is with a fully guaranteed deal, and I think he is worth the risk

Is Bell really THAT much better than the 2nd best RB in FA?

I feel like the second best RB is well under half that or could go with @Lost_In_Translation (I hope I did that right) and draft Bama back for far cheaper.

Lastly I just see RG3 getting a better deal than that. Maybe its the homer in me but he looked good in preseason this year and had a nice throw off the bench which shoulda won the game. Just feel like he showed he belonged in NFL and deserves a bigger check.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Id rather draft Josh Jacobs than sign Bell. Jacobs is much cheaper and younger and could still bring similar potential as a reciever.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Smith and Yanda you cant restructure when they have only 1 yr remaining on contract. Paycut or extensions are possible. If you restructure Williams's contract we stuck with him for another year with no way to get cap relief and the relief for this year would be minimal. We did this one time to many anyways. Just kicking the can down the road. No to Bell at least at a guaranteed 17 mil a year contract unless there are injury and character provisions put into the contract. Tbh Suggs would be difficult for me to let get away but Ansah would be a real nice pickup to replace him probally for the same amount that you're saying. Joyner would also be a sweet pickup.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Is Bell really THAT much better than the 2nd best RB in FA?

I feel like the second best RB is well under half that or could go with @Lost_In_Translation (I hope I did that right) and draft Bama back for far cheaper.

Lastly I just see RG3 getting a better deal than that. Maybe its the homer in me but he looked good in preseason this year and had a nice throw off the bench which shoulda won the game. Just feel like he showed he belonged in NFL and deserves a bigger check.
Who’s the 2nd best rb?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who’s the 2nd best rb?

That is honestly tough for me to pick because there are so many that its hard to keep up (hell if one signed since last time I looked I apologize already), but to me the two top candidates despite having some flags are Ingram and Ajayi. Ajayi's injury worries me but it was early enough in the year that he should be fine and Ingram is no spring chicken but running behind a split line and I THINK he is going to be the better player, but for the short term I would suspect Ingram, if he gets cut is the player who would be worth targeting though its hard to be sure until the OLine is setup and right now the C position sucks (so does LG but damn does C suck).

If you want a cheap veteran though there are a ton of last hurrah players who somehow defied father time despite having pretty bad OLines, but again its hard to tell the fit until its figured out who is playing OLine. You have to imagine though that some of those aging vets would not mind coming on a 1 year rental for the same reason I think Ajayi might take a 1 year deal to prove he is back and that is that your numbers will be inflated running in this offense. I think Gus is sold a little short actually but the people on this board, but Lamar's existence just makes it easier for a RB to do there job. Combo that with a likely retooled and improved OLine and you are looking at the RB equivalent of a place where can show you got it.

I know the Ravens will struggle will lure WRs to Baltimore but RBs should be lining up if they want to "prove it" or use what they have left in the tank.

Now its possible both players end up not leaving their teams in which case weighing whether to take a flier on the old players for cheap vs Bell vs Draft is a worthwhile choice but to me if you can get either of those 2 for 4-5m per year (I think Jay might be 3-4) then I would take that over 15-16M for Bell. Its the 80-20 rule to the EXTREME especially with the tread Bell has on those tires even after a year off.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That is honestly tough for me to pick because there are so many that its hard to keep up (hell if one signed since last time I looked I apologize already), but to me the two top candidates despite having some flags are Ingram and Ajayi. Ajayi's injury worries me but it was early enough in the year that he should be fine and Ingram is no spring chicken but running behind a split line and I THINK he is going to be the better player, but for the short term I would suspect Ingram, if he gets cut is the player who would be worth targeting though its hard to be sure until the OLine is setup and right now the C position sucks (so does LG but damn does C suck).

If you want a cheap veteran though there are a ton of last hurrah players who somehow defied father time despite having pretty bad OLines, but again its hard to tell the fit until its figured out who is playing OLine. You have to imagine though that some of those aging vets would not mind coming on a 1 year rental for the same reason I think Ajayi might take a 1 year deal to prove he is back and that is that your numbers will be inflated running in this offense. I think Gus is sold a little short actually but the people on this board, but Lamar's existence just makes it easier for a RB to do there job. Combo that with a likely retooled and improved OLine and you are looking at the RB equivalent of a place where can show you got it.

I know the Ravens will struggle will lure WRs to Baltimore but RBs should be lining up if they want to "prove it" or use what they have left in the tank.

Now its possible both players end up not leaving their teams in which case weighing whether to take a flier on the old players for cheap vs Bell vs Draft is a worthwhile choice but to me if you can get either of those 2 for 4-5m per year (I think Jay might be 3-4) then I would take that over 15-16M for Bell. Its the 80-20 rule to the EXTREME especially with the tread Bell has on those tires even after a year off.

I’m not advocating for us going after bell but I will say this:

The short and long of it is I don’t think any of the free agent potential 2nd best rbs get close to the 80-20 rule for bell because they’re nowhere near his class of player - he’s an elite multi-faceted offensive weapon and the rest of the class seems to be fine role players

Maybe that makes sense here when roman has said he wants a stable of backs but we’re not taking someone else because of 80-20 - no one else in the fa class would qualify as good enough comparatively to bell to make that idea work

Just my opinion

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not advocating for us going after bell but I will say this:

The short and long of it is I don’t think any of the free agent potential 2nd best rbs get close to the 80-20 rule for bell because they’re nowhere near his class of player - he’s an elite multi-faceted offensive weapon and the rest of the class seems to be fine role players

Maybe that makes sense here when roman has said he wants a stable of backs but we’re not taking someone else because of 80-20 - no one else in the fa class would qualify as good enough comparatively to bell to make that idea work

Just my opinion

I agree that they weren't his class of player (though I would say if not coming off injury jay is close just as a runner), but he has so much usage that I have to wonder if the old RB model of dropping off a cliff either this year or next applies to him. The committee approach lengthened careers but I just wonder if he has enough of that elite mode left.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
The last thing we wanna do is restructure Brandon Williams again.