• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2012 Ravens vs 2010 Packers

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hard to say because neither qb could be stopped for shit that year, both crushed elite defenses in the bowl, both had solid defenses that would rise to great in big moments...

I think I’d have to give the ravens a SLIGHT edge because ray rice was a workhorse and playmaker, and the ravens had WRs that I’m pretty sure even Woodson couldn’t man up on

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly I still think pre injury bug the 2014 Ravens were better than the 2012 version. Losing both Pitta and Jimmy and replacing them with less than stellar depth really hurt.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Honestly I still think pre injury bug the 2014 Ravens were better than the 2012 version. Losing both Pitta and Jimmy and replacing them with less than stellar depth really hurt.
Yeah that was a really good ravens squad, and mostly because Steve smith and Owen Daniels absolutely went apeshit that year and kubiak had joe playing the best ball of his career. It’s seriously a shame what happened with our secondary because that was a super bowl winning team.

That said, I think our 2011 squad was our best team we ever fielded.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah that was a really good ravens squad, and mostly because Steve smith and Owen Daniels absolutely went apeshit that year and kubiak had joe playing the best ball of his career. It’s seriously a shame what happened with our secondary because that was a super bowl winning team.

That said, I think our 2011 squad was our best team we ever fielded.

That Pagano-led defense in 2011 was one of our very best and Suggs was playing out of his mind that year (won DPOY). The only good thing to come out of losing in 2011 is that we got one of the best redemption stories for 2012 and we also moved on to Justin Tucker. Otherwise, that 2011 team should have made and won the SB.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yeah that was a
Hard to say because neither qb could be stopped for shit that year, both crushed elite defenses in the bowl, both had solid defenses that would rise to great in big moments...

I think I’d have to give the ravens a SLIGHT edge because ray rice was a workhorse and playmaker, and the ravens had WRs that I’m pretty sure even Woodson couldn’t man up on
woodson and nick collins were their S that yr. plus prime clay mattnews with bj raji. tamon willins was nice too. wouldve been a great game but id give edge to packers simply because of rodgers

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
woodson and nick collins were their S that yr. plus prime clay mattnews with bj raji. tamon willins was nice too. wouldve been a great game but id give edge to packers simply because of rodgers
I couldn’t even think of their corners because they were nothing special lol, Williams was ok, but no secondary, or pass rush for that matter, was stopping our offense in that 4 game stretch, if those niners couldn’t then the 2010 packers wouldn’t either.

They’re actually similar teams though, it’s weird now that it’s brought up.. the bombs away offense, the only solid but playmaking in huge moments defense, tactical edge rushers like Suggs and Matthews, hall of fame safeties nearing the end in reed and Woodson, gunslinging qb who liked to make their biggest throws right in the face of pressure, a savvy but not flashy veteran WR being the star on offense... really similar runs both teams made in their SB years.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
2010 Packers. The 2012 team would've likely broken due to Dean Pees and the worst defense this franchise has likely had in the Ray Lewis era. They played well in the postseason, but that Packers D was better.

I think some people forget the talent on that team. Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, in his prime Clay Matthews, Cullen Jenkins, BJ Raji(when he was good), Charles Woodson, Desmond Bishop. They weren't elite, but they were more than good enough.

That team had one weakness: their running back corps. They had a really good WR corps to go with Rodgers too. Greg Jennings was a really good WR, Donald Driver was a reliable veteran and a good #2, James Jones was a good piece, and Jordy Nelson was fourth on the depth chart(and had a damn good super bowl). Jermicheal Finley was inconsistent but even he was a weapon.

Ontop of that that oline was likely the best Rodgers has ever had. Chad Clifton, longtime franchise LT, Bulaga, good RT, Scott Wells, longtime franchise C, EDS, fell off after GB, but a good starter, Josh Sitton, TJ Lang, etc. That line had talent and depth.

It'd be a tight game, but ultimately, our defense in 2012 was coached by Dean Pees. I'd have to give the edge to that GB team.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I couldn’t even think of their corners because they were nothing special lol, Williams was ok, but no secondary, or pass rush for that matter, was stopping our offense in that 4 game stretch, if those niners couldn’t then the 2010 packers wouldn’t either.

They’re actually similar teams though, it’s weird now that it’s brought up.. the bombs away offense, the only solid but playmaking in huge moments defense, tactical edge rushers like Suggs and Matthews, hall of fame safeties nearing the end in reed and Woodson, gunslinging qb who liked to make their biggest throws right in the face of pressure, a savvy but not flashy veteran WR being the star on offense... really similar runs both teams made in their SB years.
Tramon Williams had the best season of his career in 2010, and Woodson needs no introduction, and rookie Sam Shields really came on strong during the postseason.

I'd argue that the 2010 packers had a better secondary than any team we played in the 2013 postseason. The only comparable one was New England, and they were beating us good until Talib got hurt.

Sure, Talib is a better match for Boldin, but it wouldn't have been a cakewalk.

It'd be close, but I think the 2010 Packers were simply more talented.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Tramon Williams had the best season of his career in 2010, and Woodson needs no introduction, and rookie Sam Shields really came on strong during the postseason.

I'd argue that the 2010 packers had a better secondary than any team we played in the 2013 postseason. The only comparable one was New England, and they were beating us good until Talib got hurt.

Sure, Talib is a better match for Boldin, but it wouldn't have been a cakewalk.

It'd be close, but I think the 2010 Packers were simply more talented.
We gave up 30 points like 2x that post season. I doubt packers allowed that many points even once. That was actually the last time i remember their defense even being pretty good

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We gave up 30 points like 2x that post season. I doubt packers allowed that many points even once. That was actually the last time i remember their defense even being pretty good

For a slight correction the defense did not give up 30 points+ points twice that postseason. They gave up 21 to the Broncos when Manning was having the best season of his career and special teams allowed 2 kick returns because I guess having to go against the favorites in the AFC on the road was not a big enough challenge. Also they gave up over 30 to 49ers and considering what they did to the Packers, I doubt they would have fared much better

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For a slight correction the defense did not give up 30 points+ points twice that postseason. They gave up 21 to the Broncos when Manning was having the best season of his career and special teams allowed 2 kick returns because I guess having to go against the favorites in the AFC on the road was not a big enough challenge. Also they gave up over 30 to 49ers and considering what they did to the Packers, I doubt they would have fared much better
We still gave up 30 points to den ST or not lol

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We still gave up 30 points to den ST or not lol

Putting any of that on the defense though is idiotic though. The defense didn't give up 30. The defense gave up 21 to the best offense in the NFL with the best QB of all time having his best year.

I wouldn't attribute points to the Packers D if Rodgers threw a pick 6 so why should I attribute ST points to the defense?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not a valid argument. It’s the 2010 packers, which was a far superior team to the 2012 one