• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Sleepers at ILB

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Remember that ILB we picked off the squeelers? Matthew Thomas? he's a bit of a freak of nature and while we always bring up the new ILBS we've plucked as UDFA's after the draft we have quite a few options that may turn out to be that gem we need

Alvin Jones from UTEP is another one that's been forgotten about.

I really feel that we have potentially a new bart scott somewhere on this roster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was REALLY high on Alvin Jones last year and I got high hopes for him, maybe not this year though because I think peanut is primed for a solid year and I expect Kenny young to become a playmaker in some aspects and a liability in others.

Simba

Staff Member
Alvin Jones is definitely the one I’m watching for this year as of now. He did well in the preseason on both D and ST. The 3 guys seemingly pegged for a spot right now are all undersized speed guys. Jones brings something different to the table as a downhill thumper. I could be overrating him a bit, but I think he’s in a good position if he can do what he did last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Alvin Jones is definitely the one I’m watching for this year as of now. He did well in the preseason on both D and ST. The 3 guys seemingly pegged for a spot right now are all undersized speed guys. Jones brings something different to the table as a downhill thumper. I could be overrating him a bit, but I think he’s in a good position if he can do what he did last year.

Jones is going to have to have an awesome training camp because he's basically in direct competition with chris board who was so good on special teams last year

Simba

Staff Member
Jones is going to have to have an awesome training camp because he's basically in direct competition with chris board who was so good on special teams last year

See, I don't view them as direct competition. I think Board is safe. If they keep 4 (and don't add any outside players), then I think Jones has a really good shot. As mentioned, he's pretty much the only downhill thumper type on the roster currently. That combined with his ST abilities, and I think he has a shot to be the surprise addition to the 53 if he continues where he left off last year.

Of course, when/if they add an outside veteran, then all of this becomes moot. As it currently stands, I think Jones, Alaka, and Ejiya are the ones in competition for the 4th spot if we keep one, and Jones probably has the leg up after already showing it last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See, I don't view them as direct competition. I think Board is safe. If they keep 4 (and don't add any outside players), then I think Jones has a really good shot. As mentioned, he's pretty much the only downhill thumper type on the roster currently. That combined with his ST abilities, and I think he has a shot to be the surprise addition to the 53 if he continues where he left off last year.

Of course, when/if they add an outside veteran, then all of this becomes moot. As it currently stands, I think Jones, Alaka, and Ejiya are the ones in competition for the 4th spot if we keep one, and Jones probably has the leg up after already showing it last year.

i just wonder if the downhill thumper even has a place in the modern nfl in the way they used to - and that peanut is kind of the closest thing we'll have to a downhill thumper on the roster in terms of play-style

and we obviously didnt think that much of him - we literally released him off our practice squad last year and no team even offered him a futures deal until we did

Simba

Staff Member
i just wonder if the downhill thumper even has a place in the modern nfl in the way they used to - and that peanut is kind of the closest thing we'll have to a downhill thumper on the roster in terms of play-style

and we obviously didnt think that much of him - we literally released him off our practice squad last year and no team even offered him a futures deal until we did

I still think there is, but obviously you have to do something else too. For Jones, that’s ST.

As far as him being released, that was due to injury. They reached an injury settlement with him and brought him back to the PS as soon as he was eligible. I think was always destined for the PS, but clearly, they wanted him around in some capacity.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think there isn't. You don't need one, it's a passing league. no matter how bad your run defense is, OCs (apart from Belichick ) will still abandon the run. If your thumper is on the field on 3rd down guess who the qb's going after. I still think our mlb isn't on the roster, trade a 5th/6th for Schobert( I heard rumours that Dorsey is entertaining offers for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still think there is, but obviously you have to do something else too. For Jones, that’s ST.

As far as him being released, that was due to injury. They reached an injury settlement with him and brought him back to the PS as soon as he was eligible. I think was always destined for the PS, but clearly, they wanted him around in some capacity.

but do you not think that peanut already plays that "thumper" role on our defence?

Simba

Staff Member
but do you not think that peanut already plays that "thumper" role on our defence?

Eh not really. More of a gap shooter like Young. Has it's value, but he's not a guy that is going to consistently get off of blocks.

With all of that being said, I do at least want to clarify... I don't necessarily expect Jones to make the 53. I'd be surprised if we don't sign a vet and/or use Bowser in more of a hybrid role. I'm more of the opinion that I wouldn't be shocked if he did make it come September.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont need him to be special in this defence - i just need him to be reliable and keep doing what he was doing down the stretch last year

Exactly. As long as Peanut and Young aren't complete liabilities while still making some plays then we should be fine. Neither one is going to replace Mosley, but that shouldn't mean that the defense will fall apart. I also think that Young, at least, has better coverage abilities than Mosley and should be a bigger asset than Mosley was on obvious passing downs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. As long as Peanut and Young aren't complete liabilities while still making some plays then we should be fine. Neither one is going to replace Mosley, but that shouldn't mean that the defense will fall apart. I also think that Young, at least, has better coverage abilities than Mosley and should be a bigger asset than Mosley was on obvious passing downs.

That’s the thing - peanut and Kenny aren’t necessarily going to be anywhere near as efficient as CJ but kenny’s got range in his game and peanut showed down the stretch last year that he’s a playmaker with this secondary behind him - doesn’t need to be as consistent as CJ but as long as he’s still in attack mode he’ll be fine as one our LBs

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s the thing - peanut and Kenny aren’t necessarily going to be anywhere near as efficient as CJ but kenny’s got range in his game and peanut showed down the stretch last year that he’s a playmaker with this secondary behind him - doesn’t need to be as consistent as CJ but as long as he’s still in attack mode he’ll be fine as one our LBs

Also, it's already been mentioned in at least one other thread, but we have some other promising UDFA LBs that could possibly carve out a role as well. Chris Board and Alvin Jones, specifically, both showed potential last off-season and could figure into the rotation if they continue to progress.