• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

nick boyle at fullback. thoughts?

The Greek

Veteran
i am in favor of giving him a chance at the position. the kid is a great blocker and a tough s.o.b. but he has to stay away from the ped's. the kid ricky ortiz that we picked up in udfa is pretty solid as well but with boyle the oc can get a little more creative. i am really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
greg roman would do well with this. maxx or crockett inline, pitta slot, boyle at h-back, its a lot of power, a lot of blocking, and a lot of big bodied strong handed catchers. if you can find a way to get as many TEs on the field as possible with a rb and perriman/wallace, that gets the underneath cleared out for an easy power run game or draw defenders up for easy deep shots.

its nice in theory, but you need the OL and proper coordinating for it to work. people say boyle is too tall for FB but isnt he only 2 inches taller than juice? big deal, the guy can throw his weight for real, and hes an athlete. i think he could end up being the type of FB that other teams say "we need to get the next nick boyle" as a good blocker and big strong receiving outlet.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I think he could be a better FB than TE if they put him there. I'd be really surprised if that doesn't happen. I don't buy into Taliaferro at FB at all and until I actually see Ortiz play, I'm not putting much stock in him either.

The Raven

Veteran
I'm coming around on Boyle at fullback. Not only will he be a better blocker than Juice, but he'll also maintain the versatility Juice offered. He'd still offer a lot as a receiver. My main concern about Boyle isn't really height but lack of mobility. Despite his height, he's shown the ability to get good leverage. But he's not a quick dude. Anyone feel confident in him lead blocking on toss sweep? I don't. But I do love him delivering the kickout block on power. His size alone will make him an improvement over Juice, who struggled with kickout blocks.

The Greek

Veteran
greg roman would do well with this. maxx or crockett inline, pitta slot, boyle at h-back, its a lot of power, a lot of blocking, and a lot of big bodied strong handed catchers. if you can find a way to get as many TEs on the field as possible with a rb and perriman/wallace, that gets the underneath cleared out for an easy power run game or draw defenders up for easy deep shots.

its nice in theory, but you need the OL and proper coordinating for it to work. people say boyle is too tall for FB but isnt he only 2 inches taller than juice? big deal, the guy can throw his weight for real, and hes an athlete. i think he could end up being the type of FB that other teams say "we need to get the next nick boyle" as a good blocker and big strong receiving outlet.[/QUOTwould be great to get all of the te's involved in some way or to see them all on the field at the same time

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
All about the O line. FB talk for me is petty..most teams don't use one and they aren't really required these days.

We'll be cursing the O line all season, sadly.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
If we are going with a power running game this season Boyle will be a good fit at h-back. His blocking should be an upgrade over Juice.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Right now, Taliaffero is the lead man for the job and I think he's going to be the best fit IF he can stay healthy.

The Raven

Veteran
Right now, Taliaffero is the lead man for the job and I think he's going to be the best fit IF he can stay healthy.
I could see him being a Mike Tolbert type if he bulks up a little bit more and stays healthy. The run blocking could have questions, and he's never going to kick out the end man reliably, but he's a legit option.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I could see him being a Mike Tolbert type if he bulks up a little bit more and stays healthy. The run blocking could have questions, and he's never going to kick out the end man reliably, but he's a legit option.
He's the one taking the reps at OTA's at the moment. He's got the size and he's got the versatility. Capable runner and pass catcher.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm open to the possibility but I'd rather have a running threat at FB but it will come down to the best blocker which may be Boyle. We'll probally only see FB sets maybe 15% of the time.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I was saying this for quite a while now. A tough blocking Fullback that has to be accounted when catching. Not only an outlet dump off receiver but a real route runner than can get open against linebackers and even safetys. However I suggested Evan Engram whom could be a real receiving and running threat that would require a cornerback on a fullback to create some serious mismatches.

Especially if the offensive line is elite to allow a fullback to get deep and intermediate separation. And really mix things up and give opportunities sing teams something to think about. However until we find that freak fullback. Boyle will work quite fine. If the offensive line can do the job he can get open intermediate range and really give teams something to consider. His blocking is going to create mismatches. He is nearly 270lbs and can shock linebackers and handle defensive lineman as a blocker. To mix him into the actual blocking schemes. He and Dixon will be quite a receiving tandem. Boyle is like a legit route running TE at fullback and Dixon is looking like a slot receiver at running back.

Terps

Practice Squad
Count me among those who like Boyle at FB above anyone other candidates. I was actually impressed with his blocking as a rookie, and he has soft hands and the ability to get separation, which cannot be said for some other TEs on this roster.

I've never actually seen Taliaferro block anyone before, so I don't know if he'll even be good at it. Ricky Ortiz is an undrafted rookie, so naturally he's at a disadvantage there. He could probably be stashed safely on the PS, since 1/3 of the league doesn't even use FBs anyway.

All this said, it wouldn't surprise me if Boyle stays at TE because he honestly looked pretty good there his rookie season. He doesn't stretch the defense vertically, but he gets open, makes catches, and blocks with the best of them. He might be similar to Dwayne Allen if he develops and avoids suspensions.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
harbaugh is a psychopath.. Terp's photo just emphasizes that. Over the top brainwashed, america, god military crap...

argh..

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I was saying this for quite a while now. A tough blocking Fullback that has to be accounted when catching. Not only an outlet dump off receiver but a real route runner than can get open against linebackers and even safetys. However I suggested Evan Engram whom could be a real receiving and running threat that would require a cornerback on a fullback to create some serious mismatches.

Especially if the offensive line is elite to allow a fullback to get deep and intermediate separation. And really mix things up and give opportunities sing teams something to think about. However until we find that freak fullback. Boyle will work quite fine. If the offensive line can do the job he can get open intermediate range and really give teams something to consider. His blocking is going to create mismatches. He is nearly 270lbs and can shock linebackers and handle defensive lineman as a blocker. To mix him into the actual blocking schemes. He and Dixon will be quite a receiving tandem. Boyle is like a legit route running TE at fullback and Dixon is looking like a slot receiver at running back.

I think as far as a blocker and receiver, nobody would argue for Tali/Ortiz over Boyle. Taliaferro probably offers more as a ballcarrier but I don't think that matters at all because the FB hasn't been used as a ballcarrier in the offense for years. Juice only had 5 carries last season and 2 in his career before that.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's an interesting concept and would give us a potentially nice weapon there but the problem here is reliability and availability with his suspension history. I think it's best we leave him at a deep TE position group if we can so if he gets suspended we aren't hinging a position on a guy who is a failed test away from not contributing for the entire season

I honestly don't get why he's still on the team, I get he has some talent but he's been suspended twice for being a drug cheat. Also he's pretty tall for a FB.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
6'4 6'5 FB is too tall to lead block. He'll have to get low plus he needs the agility to not get shook. He can do it, i just dont see it. He'll be fine with pass blocking and dump offs, thats about it. Tali/Ortiz are ideal fits.