• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

I got hacked

Nurps

MVP
So I woke up this morning to a really pleasant email quoting one of my passwords and telling me I was a victim of a "drive by exploit" hack. They wanted $800 and threatened to expose my info and other various shit. I already use Malwarebytes and webroot and use a VPN when I think of it. Got through all of it apparently. I have since updated windows (didn't realize it was out of date), changed my Microsoft password and my computer password. Im trying my best to remember which sites, etc. I used that particular password for and have stepped my antivirus whatevers to scan once an hour now.

Im not quite a computard but Im certainly not a genius when it comes to computers and security.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice going forward? It very frustrating and violating to go through this. I wish I could reach out and squeeze this fucking clowns throat till his/her eyes popped out but that aint happening.

TIA

EDIT: How do I change my password here? Might as well make sure its not the one this asshat has......

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So I woke up this morning to a really pleasant email quoting one of my passwords and telling me I was a victim of a "drive by exploit" hack. They wanted $800 and threatened to expose my info and other various shit. I already use Malwarebytes and webroot and use a VPN when I think of it. Got through all of it apparently. I have since updated windows (didn't realize it was out of date), changed my Microsoft password and my computer password. Im trying my best to remember which sites, etc. I used that particular password for and have stepped my antivirus whatevers to scan once an hour now.

Im not quite a computard but Im certainly not a genius when it comes to computers and security.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice going forward? It very frustrating and violating to go through this. I wish I could reach out and squeeze this fucking clowns throat till his/her eyes popped out but that aint happening.

TIA

EDIT: How do I change my password here? Might as well make sure its not the one this asshat has......
Click your account name then on the left, under settings, click 'password', enter current and new one twice.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

TIA

BTW, passwords and traffic are usually encrypted these days, the one that might have been hacked is likely for some http rather than https site. Good candidate would also be plain old FTP.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Personally with passwords always use a different one for each site and don't save your credit card info under remember me for easier checkout in case of hack. Always keep an eye on your credit card statements.

For passwords those you want to make wonky. Security questions I try to keep real.