• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Officials 2019-2020

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Is it me or have the officials been unusually bad this season? I see challenges week after week look like great challenge decisions, only for the call on the field being upheld. Yesterday at the end of the Cowboys game they had six straight plays where flags were thrown and many were so ticky-tacky. Are these refs judged or rewarded on how many fouls they can find during a game by the League? I don't even know what pass interference is anymore. None of those challenges seem to hold up. I wonder if Baker Mayfield will be fined for actually calling the officials out yesterday at his post game interview.

*** My apologies to the mods if there was another thread on this made and I missed it. I scrolled back a ways and didn't see one.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Seems they’ve gotten worse every year since Red Cashion retired. RIP Red.

FIRST DOOWWN! lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
officiating seems about the same, maybe slightly worse than previous years

the problem is there's 2 significant apparent changes since last year that's exacerbating the problems...

the first is that the nfl officiating has emphasised offensive holding as something that needs to be focused on by referees live which means we're seeing more flags overall than in previous years because in previous years refs would let some go

the second is that the new york replay officials seem to be upholding incredibly questionable calls

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

the problem is there's 2 significant apparent changes since last year that's exacerbating the problems...

the first is that the nfl officiating has emphasised offensive holding as something that needs to be focused on by referees live which means we're seeing more flags overall than in previous years because in previous years refs would let some go

the second is that the new york replay officials seem to be upholding incredibly questionable calls
this is the worst part

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

I would love to understand what is behind that. Even the ex-officials they use to get opinions from during the game are scratching their heads. That can’t be good for the League in the long run. Something has got to be going on, and they better get to the bottom of it before it affects the integrity of the game.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Pat McAfee basically sums up how everyone feels about the officiating on his show, he goes right after the source and attacks Al Rivereon for doing a terrible job.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Lions got hosed with phantom calls to help the Packers. We need Wikileaks to expose emails, text messages, bank accounts, the list of names betting on certain games, etc. Are these officials being paid off? Are they betting on games thus allowing that to influence how they call the game? Is the NFL in on it fixing games and TELLING officials to help certain teams win if they are about to lose?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hmm, I don't recall the Steelers getting flagged for any holding penalties against us....

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's like the rule doesn't even apply to them and it's absolutely ridiculous because they clearly do a lot of it.
When I watch the Steelers play it absolutely blows my mind how they never get called for holding. It’s not like it’s ticky tack either, they are blatantly holding and very often, chokeholds and half Nelson’s and straight up bearhugs and all of it, and it NEVER gets called.

The patriots are another team known for this but not nearly as much as the Steelers from what I’ve seen.

Absolutely agree on both counts .. by lowering the threshold on holding calls they’ve really created a situation where any given big play can get overturned at a refs whim. There already was the saying that holding could be called on every play now that is even more true.

And we all should be able to understand the human element and this is a fast moving game but when they are given an opportunity to correct a mistake and they still don’t fix it by ignoring obvious video evidence? WTF!

And let’s add the call that ruined last nights game illegal hands to the face.

Any time we hear the league has made [fill in the blank] “a point of emphasis” we can be guaranteed the product on the field will suffer.