• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Brandon Boykin signs with Ravens

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I hope you're right, but I'm not optimistic. Weddle and Jefferson are gonna have to use all of their recruiting efforts because if it comes down to money then we're going to get outbid even if we do free up cap space somehow.
True, but Maclin could always turn down more money to play for the Ravens given the familiarity. Jefferson did the same thing and dissed the Browns for us. Fingers crossed.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dont know what Maclin will get but if its 4 years 30-35m then the Ravens can easily match that. If it starts hitting 40m then it gets hard though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Definitely a good signing and I agree with @Truth we have been careful on the injury contracts in the last couple years, so I'm hoping Boykin is one in the same.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I dont know what Maclin will get but if its 4 years 30-35m then the Ravens can easily match that. If it starts hitting 40m then it gets hard though.

Who would you cut though for us to be able to offer 7.5 - 8.75m a year? Arrington was only going to make $2m this year and we've just signed 2 other CB's so it's not as though cutting him has helped.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Who would you cut though for us to be able to offer 7.5 - 8.75m a year? Arrington was only going to make $2m this year and we've just signed 2 other CB's so it's not as though cutting him has helped.
Apparently if Pitta is cut or retires we gain 2.5M more, plus we have some cap space in 2018 so we could push some money there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
remember when tavon first started to jump off the tape and he was "the next brandon boykin"?

thats because boykin for quite some time was the top slot corner in the league, and it was pretty much unquestioned.

hell of a summertime pickup to address a big injury. if boykin sticks around for 2-3 years and we have tavon starting in the slot, with boykin and young as the depth, wow.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
remember when tavon first started to jump off the tape and he was "the next brandon boykin"?

thats because boykin for quite some time was the top slot corner in the league, and it was pretty much unquestioned.

hell of a summertime pickup to address a big injury. if boykin sticks around for 2-3 years and we have tavon starting in the slot, with boykin and young as the depth, wow.

Boykins always been a better player than tavon was coming out college and into the NFL. If he's healthy we'll be fine in the slot.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

You dont need to cut anyone (though Pitta will likely save money with injury waiver). You just need to spread the signing bonus out over the course of the contract to make his cap hits more what the team wants. He can still make 10m this year but they can spread out the cap hit so that the cap hit is low enough that the Ravens can afford it. The only real big thing the Ravens needs next offseason is to sign Mosley which they can do and maybe consider Wallace which they can also do.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
You dont need to cut anyone (though Pitta will likely save money with injury waiver). You just need to spread the signing bonus out over the course of the contract to make his cap hits more what the team wants. He can still make 10m this year but they can spread out the cap hit so that the cap hit is low enough that the Ravens can afford it. The only real big thing the Ravens needs next offseason is to sign Mosley which they can do and maybe consider Wallace which they can also do.

What would be the details of the contract that would accomplish that ?

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
This almost assuredly takes out of the Maclin race, but it seems like a great move to replace Tavon. I'm okay with this.
I wouldn't count us out just yet based on the Boykin singing. He signed a minimum contract of $428,000 in 2016 with Chicago before being placed on I.R. and having said contract expire in the offseason. If he was signed for the league minimum before being waived, then he likely didn't exceed that total this season given his disappointing exit from the Bears. The upside in that is that we're over 51 players, meaning that signing a player for the minimum doesn't count against the cap due to the Top 51 rule, so his salary is essentially not on the books at this moment.

That being said, we are still tight against the cap either way, with Spotrac reporting us at $2 million remaning and OTC having us at $3.6 million. Now Maclin will still be collecting the figures from the signing bonus, which total $7.2 million of dead cap over the next 2 years for Kansas City, so he could be willing to take a discount for the sake of the fit. The only number I've seen thrown around was an estimated amount of $5 million annually by an OTC corespondent, but that's obviously an estimation. The Bills currently have a salary cap in the double figures and are seemingly willing to accommodate his financial needs, so I personally see us as an underdog (Though I'd very much like the signing if it happened); but if we do fall out of the running, the Boykin singing likely wouldn't be the reason. Unless of course we gave Boykin more than I anticipate, in which my point wouldn't apply.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbh i'd rather let the bills get maclin and we trade our 2nd or 3rd rounder for a 23 year old sammy watkins.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
tbh i'd rather let the bills get maclin and we trade our 2nd or 3rd rounder for a 23 year old sammy watkins.
That won't happen. Not Ozzie's forte.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
That won't happen. Not Ozzie's forte.

Agreed. Also, I'd rather pay market value for Maclin today than give up a 2nd or 3rd this year AND have to pay Watkins in the $10M next year. If Robert Woods got $7.5-$8M/year I have to imagine Watkins getting $9M+ at a minimum which I wouldn't want to pay given his injury history.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Still blows my mind people would want to trade for a WR who cant stay healthy, is about to be a FA where he will get 10mill a year easily. If we did make the trade and resign him, you would be one of the guys killing the FO for handing out a bad contract to a injury prone WR, it just makes zero sense. If anyone i would suggest Landry is the ideal candidate for what we need and what most want. I however, am opposed to trading for a WR and then paying him the money required.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Don't start......